C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPiS Headers, What are your experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 AM
rhelwood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPiS Headers, What are your experiences?

Are they the best. Any experience with these headers? Good or Bad. I have a L98. I am planning a 383 or 396 build.

From their website:
TPiS C4 Corvette Headers

As an engine builder, we looked at all the headers on the market and found that nobody made a header with the right size primary tubes. And the stock header is woefully inadequate, so we built our own. These fit beautifully and utilize all the factory bolts and brackets. They are installed from the bottom with no cutting or welding required. These headers also make changing spark plugs a snap.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:16 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

They fit nice, but I had to expand my cat to fit their Y pipe. I used all my stock bolts and brackets.Thats a good thing. Also had to grind a bit on some of the boltheads for clearance. Not a big deal, headers always involve a little extra work somehow. And changing plugs is big time better since I have aftermarket heads and the stock shorties were too close to the plugs .
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 AM
silver86
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I love 'em. I also had to expand my RT cat slightly to fit the y-pipe, but they needed no further mods (grinding, etc) to fit. It is very convenient to be able to use the stock bolts and brackets.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhelwood
Are they the best. Any experience with these headers? Good or Bad. I have a L98. I am planning a 383 or 396 build.

From their website:
TPiS C4 Corvette Headers

As an engine builder, we looked at all the headers on the market and found that nobody made a header with the right size primary tubes. And the stock header is woefully inadequate, so we built our own. These fit beautifully and utilize all the factory bolts and brackets. They are installed from the bottom with no cutting or welding required. These headers also make changing spark plugs a snap.

Thanks in advance.
Are these 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" headers?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
RCFguitars
Instructor

Mine have 1 3/4" primaries.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 AM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine clear everything and fit well. The muffler shop that installed them was very complimentary of their fit and installation.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Vetracr
Pro

TPIS L-98 headers are real good. Installation of headers is pretty easy with the exception of the Y pipe. Problem is real bad if you've had heads and block milled. Y pipe wont match with header collectors as milling brings head closer together. I remember pounding on Y pipe to get it to go on. To facilitate XSM removal I later had muffler shop add bolt up flanges to Y pipe. No problem with O2 sensor location or going into closed loop. Plug access was good with TPIs. This is problem with some other headers.

Larry
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
They fit nice, but I had to expand my cat to fit their Y pipe. I used all my stock bolts and brackets.Thats a good thing. Also had to grind a bit on some of the boltheads for clearance. Not a big deal, headers always involve a little extra work somehow. And changing plugs is big time better since I have aftermarket heads and the stock shorties were too close to the plugs .
Did a 90 Vette a couple months ago. The expanding of the Y pipe was easy. Took everything to the exhaust shop and trial fitted it and had them do all the exhaust mods to the Y pipe right there, before having it on the car. Also, the Air pump tube going to the Cat, it needed to be plugged as we went ahead and did non emissions headers and eliminated the Air Pump, and then installed a Mini ram, and then.. and then....................................
Old 11-21-2006, 11:12 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

mine went on well

instructions on my website
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my TPIS headers were cracking yes the cracks were in the same spot on both headers, the 2 middle tubes and went about 1/4 of the way around the tubes.

i just ordered a set of EM headers and i am waiting for them to come in now.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Achilles
Instructor

My TPIS long tubes are great. Had them on in about an hour. Fit is perfect.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 PM
rhelwood
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS977
my TPIS headers were cracking yes the cracks were in the same spot on both headers, the 2 middle tubes and went about 1/4 of the way around the tubes.

i just ordered a set of EM headers and i am waiting for them to come in now.

Are the TPiS headers on the Grand Sport? I see you have NOS. Wonder if the additional heat could be a contributing factor or just a metal defect?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

No problem's with mine on my 96 no leaks great fit look good
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can see the cracks and they run between the tubes and around the back of the tubes. the pass side was way worse then the driver side. pass side had @4 diff leaks from cracks.

since i put the NOS on the GS i have only sprayed it once to test it. it will break the tires loose in 3rd gear on the motor so there is no way i can spray it on the street.
drag radials are next on my list after the headers come in and to the track for some 1/4 times.
the TPIS headers did fit good, were easy to remove and install, they are @ 3 years old and are not rusted out. just stress cracks, plenty of stress cracks
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
rhelwood
Instructor

I would certainly talk to TPiS. This is not good press for them.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:12 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a set of TPIS long tubes on my Admiral '94 (LT1/A4). I was very impressed with the fit. I had to gring a couple of the braces for the A/C bracket, but that is to be expected. I don't blame that on TPIS at all.

I did have one major problem though. For the O2 sensors, they drill a hole in the collector just big enough for the head of the O2 sensor to fit through. They then weld the bung on top of that. On my driver side header, they did not line up the bung. I didn't notice it until after I had installed the header. When I put the O2 sensor in, the misalignment cocked the sensor to one side and caused it to crossthread. Once installed, you can't see down into the O2 bung. I had to pull the header back off to see what the problem was. I then had to cut off the O2 bung, weld a new one on, and get a new O2 sensor.

This could have been avoided if TPIS had either lined up the bung properly or drilled a larger hole before welding the bung on.

Last week I ordered new long tubes for my Black '94 that I now have. I decided not to go with TPIS due to the previous problems. I ordered them from Melrose along with a cat back including X-pipe. Very similar to this one but without cats and without AIR tubes:

I talked to EM a few weeks ago, but they do not offer a bolt on exhaust system to go with their headers. That's why I chose the Melrose over the EM.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM
nonetooclose
Racer

They fit ok on my 85. Needed to cut off the cat mounting flange to get the fit right in the car. Also needed some slots cut in the front y pipe to aid in install. Overall not too bad. But after install my oil temp gauge never works and everytime I replace it it dies again. Also, the pipes come pretty close to the starter and the oil filter. (starter died recently)

Get notified of new replies

To TPiS Headers, What are your experiences?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The only problem I have with the Melrose setup is the placement of the cat converters - they're too far rearward. I'd like to see them placed at the S-pipe, before the X-pipe. Otherwise, it looks like a very nice exhaust setup
Old 11-23-2006, 09:20 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GS977
you can see the cracks and they run between the tubes and around the back of the tubes. the pass side was way worse then the driver side. pass side had @4 diff leaks from cracks.

since i put the NOS on the GS i have only sprayed it once to test it. it will break the tires loose in 3rd gear on the motor so there is no way i can spray it on the street.
drag radials are next on my list after the headers come in and to the track for some 1/4 times.
the TPIS headers did fit good, were easy to remove and install, they are @ 3 years old and are not rusted out. just stress cracks, plenty of stress cracks
Oh man are these the chris cigwald headers
Old 11-23-2006, 09:49 AM
89sleeper
Burning Brakes

Location: The land of 10,000 lakes ,Minnesota 89 coupe 6speed with 383 and 89 roadster 6speed bonestock with XXX low miles

I love my TPIS headers they are 4+ years old and still look like new and I have no complaints

Quick Reply: TPiS Headers, What are your experiences?