C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

optispark

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Snoozer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default optispark

How do you know when the optispark is going bad? Are there early signs of it starting to fail?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Mine went out with no warning, real bummer.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Mine started missing from the water pump leaking on it, replaced both and 1 year later replaced the water pump again. This time I caught it before there was any damage to the Opti Spark, I also installed a hose on the water pump this time to reroute any leaks away from the Opti.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
1993 Z07
Advanced

Snoozer sorry to hear about your possible opti spark problem. I have had some problems in the past from the opti taking a direct hit with an undercarriage spray at a car wash. that started with the car missing and then completely dying. I've seen cheap remanufactured opti sparks fail when installed on a high horse power application. This also started with the car misfiring then completely dying. Petris seems to make a good replacement opti.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoozer
How do you know when the optispark is going bad? Are there early signs of it starting to fail?
Oh you'll know.. Consider things like; age/milage, general condition, vented/non-vented etc. But I think the Biggest Question is; What do I buy to replace it with? Our Options are Limited at best with the Questionable Quility of the replacements.

Another Option would be to inspect what you have for things like oil, grime, internal corrosion, arching and such. At least at this point you will have a better understanding of what you have, and you can make an informed decision..
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM
tenaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple weeks ago my 94 c4 started skipping sporadically. Then started running fine again. This weekend started skipping again. Have 116,000 miles. I assume the opti is going as I think it's the original one. Thinking of buying a petris. Whats the best water pump to buy as I will replace that at the same time?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
1993 Z07
Advanced

I have an electric water pump. Meziere has the best water pump on the market in my opinion. The Meziere weighs 1.6lbs heavier than some inferior brands. The reason for that is the electric motor is that much bigger. It also draws more amps. I know this from using another brand in the past. The other brand did last several years to give it credit. The electric water pumps will give you better cooling AND a little more horsepower. 5 to 10 hp more than your original mechanical set up. The part number for the Meziere through summit is WP118HD $268.09 and free shipping. You can check eBay also and maybe get it a few bucks cheaper. Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Snoozer
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help on this. Now I have some idea what to check out.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
1993 Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by tenaus
Couple weeks ago my 94 c4 started skipping sporadically. Then started running fine again. This weekend started skipping again. Have 116,000 miles. I assume the opti is going as I think it's the original one. Thinking of buying a petris. Whats the best water pump to buy as I will replace that at the same time?
Tenaus maybe I should have provided more detail. This is a pretty big job and I don't know your skill level. This conversion would involve removing the timing cover to remove the water pump gear drive. This results in having to "seal" a hole in the timing cover. A do it yourself fix is to put a quarter in the timing cover hole then put the seal over the top of the quarter then silicon both sides. Your other option is to take it to someone that can weld aluminum to weld it closed.The conversion job would also involve installing a relay to provide power to the water pump. I love my Meziere electric water pump.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 AM
tenaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did major work on cars in my younger years, now try to do the least possible. Will probably do this myself but I will stick with the factory setup for the water pump. Thanks for the info though.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tenaus
I think this is the route I would take..
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
robbys65
Advanced

My C4 1994 two years ago sometime started skipping with only Km 58000.
There was a little water leak from the pump and the optispark go bad like my english !!!
I have changed water pump and opti with OEM parts. ROBERT

Get notified of new replies

To optispark

Quick Reply: optispark