C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Hot Cam Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Hot Cam Upgrade

I know this has been discussed before. What would it cost, doing it myself and what needs to be changed to do a hot cam upgrade? Do I need to change to LT4 heads also?

I have a stock 1994 LT1 Corvette.

GM Part #12480002

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...AID=1710611205
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Well the only thing you have to have is gaskets. You could re-use everything else.
But if it was mine, I would want a new timing chain. You never mentioned how many miles are on the car.
But again, I would convert to an electric water pump, convert to the new style opti, with the new timing cover. Then you can use a standard double roller timing chain set which is much cheaper and stronger. The one for a 91 vette is perfect. I would want a set of headers, and if you don't need emissions inspection, then just tie them into the stock exhaust. Also, a tune from pcmforless would complete the package.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Well the only thing you have to have is gaskets. You could re-use everything else.
But if it was mine, I would want a new timing chain. You never mentioned how many miles are on the car.
But again, I would convert to an electric water pump, convert to the new style opti, with the new timing cover. Then you can use a standard double roller timing chain set which is much cheaper and stronger. The one for a 91 vette is perfect. I would want a set of headers, and if you don't need emissions inspection, then just tie them into the stock exhaust. Also, a tune from pcmforless would complete the package.
i would second that... if you are going to stay with the original style opti and would like to save some $ on the kit I have a low mileage hotcam and roller rockers I had in mine for about 6k miles. pm me if interested.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
I know this has been discussed before. What would it cost, doing it myself and what needs to be changed to do a hot cam upgrade? Do I need to change to LT4 heads also?

I have a stock 1994 LT1 Corvette.

GM Part #12480002

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...AID=1710611205
Wow, that's a lot for $569. Cam, springs, rocker arms, retainers, keepers... Sounds like a good deal.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
dchildress
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to hi jack thread but I am in same boat. ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...tcam-help.html)

I have a 94. Trying to upgrade to Hotcam and have an MSD Opti. I cannot get answers on what else I need other than gaskets, timing set, and tune. I am worried about compatibility of components. I read one place that I need to change to 95/96 Opti where some sites say all will work together. Some say all I have to do is push dowel pin in on cam (How is this done? Press? Grinder?) Friends are pushing me for Comp cam kit but have same questions.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Didn't realize anyone responded until now. I managed to get the harmonic balance off last night. Stopped and started to degrease the engine. Tonight, after work I will try removing the hub.

I have 120k miles on it, putting on a Borla Exhaust. Everything else is stock. Have a new AC/Delco water pump and a new Petris opti.

Last edited by SnAkeDr; 07-24-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
blue94
Pro

With 120k I would get a new chain set
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

There is an lt4 extreme duty chain set that is better than your stock one. It is still a single chain, but is lower resistance and tougher.

You will need the gen 2 (95 thru 96) opti, but that's good bc it is a vented setup.

I am running the cloyes version of the lt4 extreme duty chain and its working great.

I am not a fan of electric water pump it doesn't cool as good at high rpm as the stock one.

Some people have run into problems with this chainn due to improper installation.

First...be. sure to use the included water pump drive gear in place of the stock one. You will need to get a machine shop to press the old one off and new one into place. If they are good, they won't destroy the water pump driveshaft bearings....

1. Be sure the oil gallery plugs still have the pinholes in them and they are unobstructed so they spray oil onto the chain

2: use plenty of cam break in lube and soak theh chain/ gearset in oil before installation
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Originally Posted by blue94
With 120k I would get a new chain set
If I decided NOT to do a cam upgrade, what timing chain would i get? Be specific with model number.

Would this same chain work with a upgrade?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

This kind of answers the question above.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html

I think its easier to just pull the motor and drop one of these Stroker Motors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Camaro-Vette-Impala-SS-LT1-383-stroker-long-block-/111120432245?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19df4b3c75&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM
blue94
Pro

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
If I decided NOT to do a cam upgrade, what timing chain would i get? Be specific with model number.

Would this same chain work with a upgrade?
I guess I should have said with 120k and doing a cam include a timing chain set. if you are not doing a cam just run it then

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Hot Cam Upgrade

Quick Reply: C4 Hot Cam Upgrade