C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air Bag, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring, & Lock Plate Removal PICS -Turn Signal Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
SeeFourSix
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Bag, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring, & Lock Plate Removal PICS -Turn Signal Fixed!

Since my right turn signal did not work, I thought I had a broken wiper switch but after disassembly, I found a much simpler issue: My air bag wire was preventing my right turn switch from 'switching'. When I assembled the clock spring, I fed the wire to the left side out of the way and now I have both turn signals! Since I was going to post pics of replacing the wiper switch but didn't have to go that far. I still wanted to post my pictures & findings in case this helps someone else.

This is on a 91 Corvette Coupe
1) Disconnect negative battery terminal
2) Remove the air bag, 2 torx screws in back, T-30 size.

Unplug air bag & set aside

3) Loosen 21mm / 13/16" nut holding steering wheel on.
Use a puller to remove wheel, or in my case, it came off fairly easily with just a tug. Don't forget where things go..

4) Remove nut and steering wheel, feeding air bag wire through wheel hole.

5) Remove small snap ring holding clock spring on.

6) Gently pull clock spring out.

7) Now you will need a steering wheel lock plate tool.
I bought the 70mm one. $14.99 Advance Auto Parts

Attach it to the hub & lock plate and twist the wing nut so you can remove the c-clip holding the lock plate on.

8) Remove c-clip. I found it easier to use 2 small flat head screwdrivers and just work it around from one side. Once it's off, relieve pressure on lock plate tool and remove tool, clip, & lock plate.

This is behind the lock plate.

This is as far as I had to go. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out why it magically started working.
Here was the problem:
Air bag wire was in the way (wire on left side of pic). Careful when re-installing clock spring..
Hope this helps someone else! To replace the wiper or turn signal switch wouldn't be too many more steps.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Excellent post.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Great write up

Thanks for taking the time to share this.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Bag, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring, & Lock Plate Removal PICS -Turn Signal Fixed!

Quick Reply: Air Bag, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring, & Lock Plate Removal PICS -Turn Signal Fixed!