C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Corvette crossfire timer to change the oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 84 Corvette crossfire timer to change the oil

On my other car I can change my own oil pretty easy. Put the pan underneath take out he drain plug go back to the top, take off the air cleaner cover and get the filter right there.

How hard is it going to be on my new 84 Corvette? Can I do it without raising it at all? Can I get the filter from under the hood?

Whats agood oil filter to use? Fram doesnt sound so good I used them foor years, but not buying one now. I used to like Dutch Precision but cant find them.

K&N pro series any good?

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 08-14-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Bridges77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to jack it up if you dont have a pit....no way to reach it from the top
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, gotta get under. Filter and drain are both down there. To get
under you need a pit, a lift, or stands jack and maybe short ramps to
get the jack under, or tall ramps.

Wix filters. O'Reiley's has them behind the counter, not on the display
floor (at least at mine).

Fram comes in about dead last in any filter comparison.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I can change the oil and filter without jacking up the car, but I've got very long arms...
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cup-type filter wrench will also come in handy. It was a real pain to get my last one off with only every other type of filter wrench.

I just went with another AC Delco filter, for the record.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I can change the oil and filter without jacking up the car, but I've got very long arms...
My arms are pretty long too thats why I can change the filter on my Pinto from the top. And adjust the clutch even from under the hood. I have a cup type wrench from when I drove a fwd Tempo.

So, do you take off any parts to get to the filter that way?

I have 3 or 4 different oil filter wrenches tw of the band ones and one that has teeth, plus the cap one that goes over the end (I never liked that one).

My brother in law always used a screwdriver yuk.

Im wondering if I can drive up on some boards then get a floor jack under the front, put jack stands under it and block the rear wheels.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those K&N oil filters plus they have a place to use a wrench to remove in case it gets stuck
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Several folks here have made their own ramps by using the stepped 2 x 10s approach. Start out with a 4' long board, then bolt/glue a 3 1/2' long board on top of it and keep going with shorter boards until you get to the desired height. Be sure to bolt on a stop block at the end of the last and shortest board.
Works pretty good. I also use an old door mirror and adjust it so I can see the driver's side ramp. Always afraid of driving off the other end!
When you are at the auto parts store just ask them to show you a wrench that is correctly sized to your filter.
Fun in the garage!
And yes - I too know a Pinto owner with a Corvette. Orange Pinto and '07 yellow Z06. What a combination!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Several folks here have made their own ramps by using the stepped 2 x 10s approach. Start out with a 4' long board, then bolt/glue a 3 1/2' long board on top of it and keep going with shorter boards until you get to the desired height. Be sure to bolt on a stop block at the end of the last and shortest board.
Works pretty good. I also use an old door mirror and adjust it so I can see the driver's side ramp. Always afraid of driving off the other end!
When you are at the auto parts store just ask them to show you a wrench that is correctly sized to your filter.
Fun in the garage!
And yes - I too know a Pinto owner with a Corvette. Orange Pinto and '07 yellow Z06. What a combination!
How many layers do they usually use? And is it safe to get under or should one use jack stands as well? An 8 inch board wouldnt be too good I guess? Or even 2x4s somehow bundled up?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I use a band type oil filter wrench that I've had since the '60s. I use a 9/16" combo wrench on the oil pan bolt.

I do have the oil cooler and use a PF1218 filter which is longer than normal, so I guess that makes it easier to get to it. The bottom of the filter is about level with the bottom of the exhaust pipe.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

All the filter wrenches suggested are fine; IOW, any filter wrench is probably fine.

However, if you install the filter properly in the first place, you don't need a filter wrench at all!

You can not (practically) get to the filter from under the hood. Under the car. It is right next to the pan, so spin the filter off while right after you remove the drain bolt; drain both at the same time, w/the same pan.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Any of the so-called "low-profile" floor jacks will work fine to raise the car up enough so that you can place jack stands under the car to support it. If you use ramps, make sure you set the E-brake and block the back wheels.

As mentioned, if the old filter was installed properly and not by a gorilla, you should be able to remove it by hand. If not any parts store oil filter wrench works fine.

Just make sure you have a large enough pan to collect the old oil. You may have to move the pan around as the last of the oil drains out.

When you install the new filter, don't forget to lightly oil the rubber gasket and clean the mounting surface. I like to fill the filter with oil before installing it. I also use the larger AC Delco PF1218 filter on my '87; it holds nearly a full quart and doesn't protrude much beyond the bottom of the pan. WIX is another good brand as is either the Mobil-1 or K&N filter

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Corvette crossfire timer to change the oil

Quick Reply: 84 Corvette crossfire timer to change the oil