C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 VATS removal instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing jury rigged about disabling VATS using my instructions. We're talking about reconnecting 3 wires (2 wires if the BIN is modified successfully) and less than 1/2 hour of work. It's completely reversible and the relay doesn't even need to be removed.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

to what point do you guys stop dring these things? Seriously you may have a vats problem one time and you are worried evertime you get into the car. Do you worry this much when the starter fails you or the battery? Do you not take the of driving it at night because on of your head lights failed to rise at some point. Vats has been installed in must gm vehicles sense 86. It is a simple system and Gm took care of the one know problem in 87 with a recall and all newer vehicles fixed at the factory. My bet would be 90% of all gm vehicles will go thry their life without a vats problem. I will take thouse ods any day. There are a lot more things that will keep your car sitting at more of a frequency then vats ever will. Id bet on average the drive train will leave you sitting 2 or 3 times before the vats will
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM
rhinoevans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
why go thru all that when you can buy a bypass module for $15 and simply plug it in where the VATS module lives?

I went the distance and installed a switch for security that kills efi when tripped. The switch can be hidden anywhere you wish..or just install the bypass and go about your bidness like it were an avg car that never had a security system.

I still do not understand why people freak out over VATS. its like ANY other car part. They wear out and stop you from driving. I've never seen anyone try to bypass having tires when those wear out or go flat. Or use something other than spark plugs when those go bad.
Why not just FIX it? parts are available, its not as hard as going thru all these gyrations and you still have a real hard to defeat SECURITY system....

I don't get whats hard about fixing something right. BECAUSE, when you jury rig these home made VATS go around systems, then you totally screw up future diagnostics on other things...like starters, key ign switches, etc. How can you tell what is malfunctioning if you have stuff goofy bypassed and band-aided? The virtues of doing it right are endless...

Yes, I have a bypass that's in there for the time being until I have time to put the new module in. Bypass was available right then, module was a week away...bypass won that race. Got both and will keep both, JIC

parts fail, when they do, just replace them, don't try to re-engineer the thing.
Please link $15 bypass module. Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinoevans
Please link $15 bypass module.
A quality unit here
http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_vats/

Bare circuit versions available on that popular auction site

Item # 271223021636
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM
vl5150
Racer

The next time I think about documenting something just do this to me first.

Last edited by vl5150; 09-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Loopidoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vl5150
The next time I think about documenting something just do this to me first.
I will be sure to do same..lol next time we must ask to speak freely. LOL
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 PM
neelas
Instructor

Thanks my 1990 just left me stranded
Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by neelas
Thanks my 1990 just left me stranded
See the website www.vatssucks.com .
Old 09-29-2015, 03:28 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To those saying vats is still a good way to prevent car theft. Any one that really wants to steal the car, and drive it away will bring a signal generator and have the knowledge to bypass the relay or just jump the starter. It may take them ~10 more minutes, but vats wont stop them. More likely is that they would simply winch it onto a trailer or flat bed tow truck like car hauler and drive away.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 PM
mikeray55
1st Gear

Default Disabled VATS

Hello

I've recently installed a 383 stroker with a holley stealth ram fuel injection system. I installed this in my 1990 corvette and am using the factory ECU. Before the switch the car ran great but now the motor is in and everything is hooked up I cannot get the injectors to pulse. After reading through I found out only two things would shut the injectors off; Less than 4 pounds of oil pressure at start up and the VATS. I have primed the oil pump, twice, and have plenty of pressure while cranking over the motor. I have spark and plenty of fuel pressure but no pulse at the injectors. I sent off for a new prom to disable the VATS and thought this would take care of the issue but it did not, still no pulse. I've checked and rechecked all connectors, grounds, fuses and cannot come up with anything. In a 1990 the VATS is all in the ECU correct? There is no other bypass I need to do right? Or am I missing something?

V/R

Mike

Quick Reply: 1990 VATS removal instructions