C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>>

This is the system I have had in my head for months. After finding a source for the bends I started taking measurements. I did the cuts for the bends and the x pipe but had the pieces welded together. Just go to the link below for the writeup.

Old 07-04-2002, 11:39 PM
olephart
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (Raysur)

Nice job!!
Old 07-04-2002, 11:42 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (Raysur)

Sweet looking job.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (65Z01)

Thanks. :cheers:

I can't believe it's done.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:48 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. What did that set you back?
Old 07-05-2002, 12:01 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (VetteNoob)

It was $200 for the bends, $139 for the straight tubing, and $200 labor.

This doesn't include my labor and if I were to charge for that i'd be broke. :lol:
Old 07-05-2002, 12:02 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great. I am sure thats a low cost alternative for alot of guys who don't want to shell out the $$$$ for a 3" mandrel bend kit.

I have a friend that did the same thing only not out of stainless. He just ordered a bunch of 3" 90 deg bend pipes from summit. A few cuts here and there....next thing you know.....its up there...

Great job!!! :cheers:
Old 07-05-2002, 12:08 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

looks great!
Old 07-05-2002, 02:09 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (Hammer)

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to make another for my car. This one will soon be for sale (everything in the pictures, i'm starting from scratch).

I'm thinking of making more of these . I already talked to a guy that does beautiful welds. You guys might have another choice when it comes to exhausts.:cheers:
Old 07-05-2002, 02:13 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

If you do, dont forget about the L98 guys. Think this thing would work on the L98s?
Old 07-05-2002, 02:38 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (VetteNoob)

This exhaust should fit any C4 Vette besides the ZR1. I'm pretty sure your hangers can be modified to holdup these pipes. :yesnod:
Old 07-05-2002, 02:58 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Obviously I cant sleep....do you have pics of how it attaches to the exhaust manifolds? If you made another one, what do you estimate you would charge for it and how would you go about shipping it since it is one huge welded exhaust? Have you considered making it is sections that uses clamps to put together?
Old 07-05-2002, 03:24 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

I have one picture but I need to find it. It also doesn't show much.

Where the manifold ends there is a 90* bend that connected to my cats. The cats were cut off and the 3" tubing was slipped over and welded. The two pieces of pipe are mounted at an angle to connect to my new system.

For this one I would do around $800 to $850. The mufflers, tips, and cats drive up the price. I would cut this system after the x pipe and after the cats. So it would be a 3 piece (upper bends and x pipe, middle pipes and cats, and the rear pipes and mufflers).

The new system would be way under $800. Aluminized pipes are cheaper so that could be an option. I probably would ship it like the above paragraph. But the new systems wouldn't come with cats, mufflers or hangers. It would just be the pipes. So you could put any muffler you wanted. And install the cats where you like.

Clamps aren't difficult but I think they are cheesy. I think welds are the only way to go.

I need to pay off my debts then I will start a new system. We will see what happens next.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:33 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have my system finished to Raysur I'll probably see you Saturday... Will you be there?

Mo
Old 07-05-2002, 03:51 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (Mo_Bandy)

I'll be there around 5:30. I can't wait to see how the finished product looks. Does it sound different? :cool:
Old 07-05-2002, 01:44 PM
guywade
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those look great , and all fitted up under the x brace real clean, i have a 90 vert, let me know if ya start making these , i wouldn't mind a custom one made for me like yours, so with the cats back a bit , where exactly are they near the or between the seats? and were those pre cats, ? so it looks like the main converter is gone, is it?
Old 07-05-2002, 02:44 PM
carson
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (guywade)

Does it resonate at low RPM? I am also interested. DR Gas x pipe is kind of expensive .

Get notified of new replies

To Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>>

Old 07-05-2002, 03:02 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (carson)

That looks really good, and I'll bet it even sounds mean as an SOB..but...dual 3" pipes?? That's a little much for a 350cid motor (unless possibly it's an LT5 or one HELLUVA high flowing intake) IMHO I think you will suffer from going with dual 3"...the flow rate will be so high, you will lose velocity...IMHO dual 2½" would have been perfect, then that X-pipe would have made it act like a bigger setup. Again, just my 2¢.
BTW: What are those two things before the mufflers? Resonators or another set of bullet cats? :cheers:
Old 07-05-2002, 03:44 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (TIMSPEED)

Looks Great!!!!
BTW, Where did you get the ram air kit?
Old 07-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>> (LT4POWR)

The car came with dual 2.75" stock so 3" can't hurt. It is only .25" more. The car does sound clearer, it was always mean:D.

My car never resonated. It only droned around 1500rpm now that is basically gone.

Those are my cats. They aren't precats. They are near the differential. They aren't in the tunnel between the seats.

I drove my car today after letting it relearn. The x pipe seems to give it more power. ASR came on more:D. It definately is quieter in the inside. :cheers:

[Modified by Raysur, 5:42 PM 7/5/2002]

Quick Reply: Finally!! My custom mandrel bent exhaust is done, link to pics within>>>