C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ARH header and stock 96 exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I can send out bolts on Monday or come up with another solution.

I did inquire about using the oem bolts when you called or PM'd last week, looks like I was wrong regarding the '96 model year.

Last edited by SteveDoten@ARH; 12-21-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Steve, never mind I ordered ARP p/n 400-1111 stainless bolts from Summit Racing.
Just to show you the stock bolt up to the header.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131221_225602.png
Views: 979
Size:  452.6 KB
Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 PM
grandspt
Drifting

An update to my header install. So the headers are bolted up to the heads, I will get some pics up later. They installed from underneath, just removed some brackets and support rods, spark plugs and wires (I will be replacing both). The headers did fit quite nicely! I have not installed the cats/crossover pipe yet.
One snag is the support rod on the back of the alternator. It does not clear the #1cylinder primary tube. I had to take 1/4" out of it and cut it in two spots. Then I rewelded the support rod back together with different angles as shown in the pics. My welding is not great but it should be plenty strong.
Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Some of the parts I have purchased so far for the install: ARP 400-1111 header bolts, McMaster-Carr p/n 92320A260 18-8 stainless unthreaded spacers, 3/4" od, 1" length, 3/8" screw size 2 pieces. I machined a flat on the 2 spacers to clear the header primary tubes. I reused two of the oem studs for the oil dipstick tube, and the two air conditioner compressor support rods. This is where the spacers were used. More info will follow.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM
grandspt
Drifting

A few pictures of my ARH headers installed. Ran into a snag, I need a right rear oxygen sensory extension. Called ARH and they said they will get it out to me.
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 PM
grandspt
Drifting

STL94LT1, thanks. Now I have to cut my oem ehaust and mount it to the rest of the ARH system. Damn exhaust weighs a lot or maybe I am getting old!
I am also going to install some Thermo Tec adhesive barrier where he ARH cats are so close to the fiberglass.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Got some warmer temps. in New England. So I thought I would finish up my ARH 1 3/4" header install today.
Everything fit well, cut my existing exhaust to mate up with the ARH system and it fit. I had to cut my OEM exhaust real close to the factory H pipe (I was worried the factory H pipe would be in the way and not let me connect it up to the ARH system) but it all worked out well.
I installed Thermotec heat shields on my floor and also pipe shields on the Catalytic converters, got the O2 extension from ARH on the passenger side.
I will post some pictures of the heat shield install soon.
The sound from the stock mufflers while in my garage is deeper, maybe a tiny bit louder but not that much. But when you rev it up it sounds healthier. I have to figure out a way to post a sound clip.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Here are some pictures of the heat shields:
Attached Images      
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
grandspt
Drifting

More pictures:
Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM
grandspt
Drifting

You Tube audio clip:
Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grandspt, thanks for the "tutorial" and the great pics along with the sound clip. I'll be saving this thread. Also for being the pioneer for the LT4 install. I'll be putting mine up on jack stands this week to start exploring the idea of whether or not I want to go your route.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Your welcome. I like to think that the forum is here to help all of us out.
And if you decide to bite the bullet and install the headers I will be around if you have questions.
I think the install turned out pretty good considering all the issues I had.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 PM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
Your welcome. I like to think that the forum is here to help all of us out.
And if you decide to bite the bullet and install the headers I will be around if you have questions.
I think the install turned out pretty good considering all the issues I had.
Is there any chance you could take another video of the exhuast with a few revs. Im trying to justify if I should ditch my current headers for the ARH. From the videos ive seen the ARH headers offer a completely different sound of the LT1/Lt4 motors, very unique. Thanks sorry to dig up an old thread.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Originally Posted by antonioe202
Is there any chance you could take another video of the exhuast with a few revs. Im trying to justify if I should ditch my current headers for the ARH. From the videos ive seen the ARH headers offer a completely different sound of the LT1/Lt4 motors, very unique. Thanks sorry to dig up an old thread.
Hi antonioe202, I can try and take another video at some point I have had the system for many years now and I am happy with the setup. This setup is not loud and obnoxious, but when you put your foot down at WOT it gets louder with a real nice bark!
I personally wouldn't change headers just for sound quality unless you are having problems with your existing headers.
But if I get a chance this weekend I will try and post another sound clip while revving the engine.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 AM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Hi antonioe202, I can try and take another video at some point I have had the system for many years now and I am happy with the setup. This setup is not loud and obnoxious, but when you put your foot down at WOT it gets louder with a real nice bark!
I personally wouldn't change headers just for sound quality unless you are having problems with your existing headers.
But if I get a chance this weekend I will try and post another sound clip while revving the engine.
Great , that would be very helpful! It just seems as though they completely change the tone and almost sounds like its not an lt1 , from the other videos I've seen on YouTube , there is a green lt4 c4 that is just absolutely amazing sounding. Thanks
Old 11-02-2016, 10:02 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Another video would be great. We've talked before, but I still havn't pulled the trigger on going back to factory mufflers with my ARH. But after a long trip last weekend i'm getting closer to ditching the mangnaflows (even though they sound great). Not sure I could ever justify the cost of a Corsa catback, so factory it is.

Thanks!

Edit: Another question. Did ARH supply you with an x-pipe to adapt to a 2.5" or 3" system? Since factory mufflers are 2.75", not sure which one would adapt.

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 11-02-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ARH header and stock 96 exhaust ?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:05 AM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Another video would be great. We've talked before, but I still havn't pulled the trigger on going back to factory mufflers with my ARH. But after a long trip last weekend i'm getting closer to ditching the mangnaflows (even though they sound great). Not sure I could ever justify the cost of a Corsa catback, so factory it is.

Thanks!

Edit: Another question. Did ARH supply you with an x-pipe to adapt to a 2.5" or 3" system? Since factory mufflers are 2.75", not sure which one would adapt.
Also if you could take a video of your setup as well that would be great , I bet your exhaust set up is closer to something that I'd like. I believe I've seen a few of your videos as well just no revs if I remember correctly.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Originally Posted by antonioe202
Also if you could take a video of your setup as well that would be great , I bet your exhaust set up is closer to something that I'd like. I believe I've seen a few of your videos as well just no revs if I remember correctly.
I won't be getting under my car any time soon to shoot a video of the setup, sorry. But I will take a shot at the back part by the mufflers with no spare tire installed you should be able to get a good view of that.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:58 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE

Thanks!

I requested the X pipe to mate to the stock 2 3/4" pipes. That is what my LT4 has from the factory.
I guess ARH will send you whatever size you request. I had a list of questions when I called ARH before I ordered them. They were helpful but they did omit a few things on my setup.

Quick Reply: ARH header and stock 96 exhaust ?