C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

remote mount turbo setups

Old 01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might have problems with that pump above the turbo unless you have a check valve in the line. Most scavenge pump manufactures recommend the pump be below the turbo. Not saying it wont work as I have seen it work just fine with a check valve. If your not running a check valve lmk if it works without an issue. Everything is looking good!! Kinda wish I did a rear mount as well. AS for cooling have you considered water/meth injection? I am doing my first water meth set up right now but I am good friends with 2 local tuners and they both claim for the money and less headache of intercooler piping etc it is well worth it. And with all the safety devices they have now for them the risk is minimum if you get a really good kit. They showed me some dyno sheets on a gn with water meth and that is what sold me on it. Plus the fact of buying a name brand intercooler and trying to fit it in the tight c4 vette. Reading your post a little bit and I agree that the long pipe will cool the charge a bit but not as good as an intercooler plus all your piping being so far from the motor you are likely going to have a fair amount of turbo lag depending on turbo size. This is another reason I would consider the water meth kits. I almost always go with a bigger 50mm wastegate for low boost and the will also handle high boost as well. Go to small and boost creep can end it all! For the charge pipe I like stainless steel. I have seen aluminum pipes with corrosion on the inside. Prob takes years though.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

correct me if I am wrong guys but doesn't this engine have a oil pressure sensor next to the dist? if so can he just t into it? Sorry if this was already discussed.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocvette
You might have problems with that pump above the turbo unless you have a check valve in the line. Most scavenge pump manufactures recommend the pump be below the turbo. Not saying it wont work as I have seen it work just fine with a check valve. If your not running a check valve lmk if it works without an issue. Everything is looking good!! Kinda wish I did a rear mount as well. AS for cooling have you considered water/meth injection? I am doing my first water meth set up right now but I am good friends with 2 local tuners and they both claim for the money and less headache of intercooler piping etc it is well worth it. And with all the safety devices they have now for them the risk is minimum if you get a really good kit. They showed me some dyno sheets on a gn with water meth and that is what sold me on it. Plus the fact of buying a name brand intercooler and trying to fit it in the tight c4 vette. Reading your post a little bit and I agree that the long pipe will cool the charge a bit but not as good as an intercooler plus all your piping being so far from the motor you are likely going to have a fair amount of turbo lag depending on turbo size. This is another reason I would consider the water meth kits. I almost always go with a bigger 50mm wastegate for low boost and the will also handle high boost as well. Go to small and boost creep can end it all! For the charge pipe I like stainless steel. I have seen aluminum pipes with corrosion on the inside. Prob takes years though.
The pictures that were posted were mockup photos the scavenge pump was relocated onto the turbo mount bracket in front of the turbo practically at the same level. Turbowerx claimed this pump can be mounted anywhere and in any position and can even pull oil up 24" vertically. The only oil supply that I ever heard about for the LT1 was located above the oil filter where the oil temp sensor is, I put a Brass T plumbing fitting there and it works mint.

The car runs and drives great (pulls hard from 2500 rpms to redline) however I have boost set to a max of 2 lbs because i haven't had the time to get it tuned. My appointment is for March then I will have some numbers. I still want to tweak a couple things with The routing of my oil lines and maybe add meth or an air to air intercooler. These i will take care of shortly.

Last edited by Impala Balko; 01-06-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Default update

I dropped the car off at the tuner and he quickly let me know that his dyno doesn't give up the great inflated numbers that other dyno shops do. He uses a SAE Calibrated Mustang Dyno which from what I am told read lower than any other dyno on the market. I received a phone call from the tuner, Buddy Sousa of Maximum Performance in Bristol Rhode Island. He told me he started tuning and so far after a little bit of tuning he squeezed an Uncorrected 347 HP 397 ftlb to the rear wheels at 10 lbs of boost all on a very conservative safe tune when the motor was hot and with a max RWHP of 367 when it was cold. Now I know the numbers don't sound impressive but let me put these numbers in perspective my tuner has tuned a number of LS cars and he states that a bone stock 505 hp C6 Z06 puts down 385 RWHP, stock 425 RWHP with headers exhaust and cold air intake. I can not wait to pick up my newly transformed budget build rear mount turbo corvette to see what it is like. If I am not impressed I am told I can ad meth injection and retune it for some more boost, timing, and power... FYI the 2010 ZR1 in these pics put down 505 RWHP in stock trim on this very dyno.

Here is a picture of this gorgeous vehicle

Last edited by Impala Balko; 04-15-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I pick up the car from the tuner this Saturday so I can give a better description of the car once I get it.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice numbers, it will be fun. Are you running a stock engine?

I wonder what the IAT's are with no intercooler on the system. That would give you a nice power boost.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mn_vette
Nice numbers, it will be fun. Are you running a stock engine?

I wonder what the IAT's are with no intercooler on the system. That would give you a nice power boost.
Completely stock motor with 50# injectors Walbro 255lph pump... I am picking it up tomorrow so I will know all the information and should have some pictures and videos of it.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 PM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

That has to be hot. IATs off the heated ground and no cooling?

If you do switch injectors and pump look into E85. Give you a cooler burn and higher ctane for more timing.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I think the tuner stated that the intake temps seem to stay fairly low on boost bit they do climb when the car is idling around because of lack of air flow and the charge pipe is close to the exhaust in some areas. On a cold pull the car made a corrected 425 RWHP with 10 lbs of boost when the car got hot it's running 347 rwhp. The car behaves like a stock LT1 vette until you kick in the boost then it really throws you into your seat. I a happy with the results and i can't wait to get this car on the track.

https://youtu.be/YtcPa3ELwm8

https://youtu.be/H2gAnsVsL_E

https://youtu.be/Fhoid_sHTGQ

Last edited by Impala Balko; 04-20-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:34 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Look forward to seeing it run @ local events

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote mount turbo setups