C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 trailer hitch mounting points on frame - where is?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 trailer hitch mounting points on frame - where is?

I want to put a hitch on my car to pull a small trailer - just a custom lightweight aluminum thing with one or two of those rooftop type carrier pods.

I jacked the car, removed the spare tire carrier and rear mufflers and y-pipe.

I'm looking up at it and of course its not like a twin-rail pickup truck frame. I don't what it is.

Does anyone have a photo of a frame looking up? I dont know if words can explain it. It looks like the mount is for the fuel tank and not much else - rear bodywork. That aluminum gas tank "mount" is bolted to the area by the suspension mounts which is pretty far forward.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Tim_Ko; 02-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

A C4 hitch was/is a rather unique piece.

Here's a link to an Ecklers instruction sheet for their offering. Are there others? I believe they would share similar mounting points.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/asset...ette/48424.pdf

I can't imagine of what value a snapshot of the rear frame extension would do but here's one you can "zoom" or flip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-93-Early-Corvette-C3-Rear-Bumper-Impact-Bar-Absorber-/111267358564?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e80d2764&vxp=mtr
You should be able to see where the Ecklers style hitch mounts. Can you duplicate that? Good luck!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's two pics of the Reese hitch that I installed on my '87. I used it for a small trailer to haul autocross tires.

Note that the holes will line up with the rear crossmember and the two diagonal rails. I don't have any pics of the hitch installed but I can take a couple later on today. Also note that this particular hitch doesn't use a square tube slug like more conventional hitches. It came with a rectangular shaped bar.

The pdf guy is the install instructions for the Reese hitch on early C4's.

The problem is finding one for C4's Reese doesn't make them anymore. Curt was another manufacturer but it could be that they don't make one for the early cars.
Attached Images     
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Reese Hitch Install.pdf (132.8 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by c4cruiser; 02-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
A C4 hitch was/is a rather unique piece.

Here's a link to an Ecklers instruction sheet for their offering. Are there others? I believe they would share similar mounting points.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/asset...ette/48424.pdf

I can't imagine of what value a snapshot of the rear frame extension would do but here's one you can "zoom" or flip:

84 93 Early Corvette C3 Rear Bumper Impact Bar Absorber | eBay

You should be able to see where the Ecklers style hitch mounts. Can you duplicate that? Good luck!
Thanks for the info but don't be so pessimistic. Also, Ecklers doesn't make anything. They are a distributor. This is not their sheet of information. This is Curt Mfg. installation sheet. If you are going to post in the future, try to be accurate and not condescending (ie having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority). I mean, just because you can't build one doesn't mean that someone else can't.

Last edited by Tim_Ko; 02-17-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Here's two pics of the Reese hitch that I installed on my '87. I used it for a small trailer to haul autocross tires.

Note that the holes will line up with the rear crossmember and the two diagonal rails. I don't have any pics of the hitch installed but I can take a couple later on today. Also note that this particular hitch doesn't use a square tube slug like more conventional hitches. It came with a rectangular shaped bar.

The pdf guy is the install instructions for the Reese hitch on early C4's.

The problem is finding one for C4's Reese doesn't make them anymore. Curt was another manufacturer but it could be that they don't make one for the early cars.
Thank you C4 Cruiser. This really helps. I didnt know this one was out there. Please don't go out of your way for photos. This is really clear as it is. Thank you again.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_Ko
Thanks for the info but don't be so pessimistic. Also, Ecklers doesn't make anything. They are a distributor. This is not their sheet of information. This is Curt Mfg. installation sheet. If you are going to post in the future, try to be accurate and not condescending (ie having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority). I mean, just because you can't build one doesn't mean that someone else can't.
I didn't mention anywhere that Ecklers was a "constructor" - I thought the instruction sheet might get you in the right direction. I don't buy or use Ecklers for anything but the install sheet was an easy find. If I wanted to or needed to I'm sure I could "construct" a suitable facsimile that would do well. I'm sorry I tried to help.

Again - GOOD LUCK - I'll bet you'll need it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Tim_Ko
If you are going to post in the future, try to be accurate and not condescending (ie having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority). I mean, just because you can't build one doesn't mean that someone else can't.
Wow.....
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Wow.....

Get notified of new replies

To 85 trailer hitch mounting points on frame - where is?

Quick Reply: 85 trailer hitch mounting points on frame - where is?