C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 c4 starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM
mandoman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 c4 starter replacement

i need to replace my starter on my 84 how hard is this to do any tips

thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm waiting my new ministarter then i can tell you,but from my recognition under there,the problem is working underneath the car,if you have good ramps to raise the front,there are just 2 bolts to remove (take note of the shimming) and 2 connectors to remove from the solenoid ...the cooling line coming from the trans are there and the exhaust manifold may be close...i have long tube and have to remove them for sure.Definatly doable ...
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
mandoman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tunedport85inject
i'm waiting my new ministarter then i can tell you,but from my recognition under there,the problem is working underneath the car,if you have good ramps to raise the front,there are just 2 bolts to remove (take note of the shimming) and 2 connectors to remove from the solenoid ...the cooling line coming from the trans are there and the exhaust manifold may be close...i have long tube and have to remove them for sure.Definatly doable ...
thanks for the reply do you think i need to remove the cooling line
Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was just under my c4 and the starter should be a piece of cake. You have to undo the 2 bolts, then drop it down, it should come out after disconnecting the wires, at worst you may need to bend the trans lines a little but it looks like it just slide towards passenger tire.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
mandoman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
I was just under my c4 and the starter should be a piece of cake. You have to undo the 2 bolts, then drop it down, it should come out after disconnecting the wires, at worst you may need to bend the trans lines a little but it looks like it just slide towards passenger tire.
thanks that's what I'm hoping for
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mandoman
thanks that's what I'm hoping for
Go bro! just remember disconnect your batt or you'll see fireworks under there...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I recently did an oil pan removal and had to take off the starter to get access to some of the bolts on the pan. I recall some kind of bracket held by a nut and a small stud on the front of the starter.

I couldn't get the starter out because of the trans cooler lines. After messing with for a while I realized that I didn't need to actually take it out, but obviously that doesn't apply to you.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 c4 starter replacement

Quick Reply: 1984 c4 starter replacement