C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone swapped a T56? Have ZF6 vs T56 vehicle speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Anyone swapped a T56? Have ZF6 vs T56 vehicle speed sensor question

I think a few people here have swapped to T56's or at least have a lot of T56 knowledge.

I'm in process of installing the EFIConnection kit in my car (LS1 computer, coils, etc)

Only problem I have ran into is the male T56 vehicle speed sensor (VSS) connector on the harness is too small to fit the female connector on the ZF6 tailshaft:

From what I can gather, the ZF6 uses the same VSS as a 700R4 or 4L60.

I would prefer not to have to splice any wires if I can help it, so I'm hoping a T56 VSS will fit the ZF6? Anyone know?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM
91tpiman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is your car?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 91tpiman
What year is your car?
96', but from what I can tell all the ZF's use the same VSS - when I search for the part on Summit Racing it looks like the same sensor is used 91-96

It looks like Mike at EFIConnection is sending me the proper plug so I think I'm good to go. I will just have to remove the T56 plug and replace it with the plug Mike is sending me.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what all is required to swap a zf6 for a t56? reason I ask is my 94 has over 140,000 on it with a zf6. there aren't many options for rebuilding/upgrading the zf6, so I was thinking it wouldn't be too expensive to swap in a used t56 setup which could easily be rebuilt/upgraded later on. thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Would love to ditch the heavy zf6 for a proven design t56.

Weight savings.....
Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hold on. The T56 VSS is not like the ZF. I believe the ZF is a gear driven speed sensor, where as the T56 is a hall sensor; signals are totally different. Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to do, you'll need a signal converter. I used the Dakota Digital.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...he-speedo.html

Also:

VSS plug GM 12101899, Delco PT 1798
Back Up plug GM 12085485, Delco PT107
Reverse Lock Out Plug GM 12101857, Delco PT249

Last edited by DanZ51; 03-15-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ51
Hold on. The T56 VSS is not like the ZF. I believe the ZF is a gear driven speed sensor, where as the T56 is a hall sensor; signals are totally different. Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to do, you'll need a signal converter. I used the Dakota Digital.
I believe the issue here is the EFI package that the OP is adding. They usually suggest that their wiring package is intentioned for hot rod/older vehicle applications and they mention a 4L60E or a T56 for utilization of the VSS for the tune/run.

When the OP mentioned EFI sent a connector I assumed that the OP and EFI had discussed the intended install at length and any issues would have been resolved. It's an interesting conversion that I was anxious to see the outcome of.

I believe this is a "sit back and watch"!

Maybe the OP can share some more information. It is interesting!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe the issue here is the EFI package that the OP is adding. They usually suggest that their wiring package is intentioned for hot rod/older vehicle applications and they mention a 4L60E or a T56 for utilization of the VSS for the tune/run.

When the OP mentioned EFI sent a connector I assumed that the OP and EFI had discussed the intended install at length and any issues would have been resolved. It's an interesting conversion that I was anxious to see the outcome of.

OK Got it. So he just needs VSS plug GM 12101899, Delco PT 1798 and he's in business

You can get them at most better auto parts stores.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
what all is required to swap a zf6 for a t56? reason I ask is my 94 has over 140,000 on it with a zf6. there aren't many options for rebuilding/upgrading the zf6, so I was thinking it wouldn't be too expensive to swap in a used t56 setup which could easily be rebuilt/upgraded later on. thanks!
Not looking to ditch the ZF - I love it. I agree the T56 is cheaper, easier to modify, etc, but it's not an easy swap mechanically. I was only interested in the electrical aspects.

Working on it - haven't received the connector yet. We did discuss the build initially but you can't see all hiccups in advance - in fact I may be one of the only Corvettes in the country with this kit - Mike was not familiar with the Corvette VSS and I can't blame him.

Originally Posted by DanZ51
OK Got it. So he just needs VSS plug GM 12101899, Delco PT 1798 and he's in business

You can get them at most better auto parts stores.
Actually that looks like the T56 connector - that is what was already on my harness from EFI - pretty sure that's the plug you see on the harness in the picture above.

What Mike is sending me is the plug that fits the Corvette VSS.

Right now I am waiting on plug wires and the car should be ready to start and run - I will post a video.

Last edited by DVNCI; 03-17-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

By the way, does anyone know the "pulses per mile" of the Vette VSS?

I know a T56 is 4000, not sure about Vette VSS?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Thanks for posting back - it's an interesting project for sure and I'm guessing that when you saw the harness there was some head scratching. I don't recall there being any conduit or anything supplied with their packages. Just wires and a bunch of it. Was there any conduit?

I'm guessing EFI is sending you terminals, seals and the shell for the install because the connector on the harness in your image and the VSS for the ZF use different terminals also. If it's a pigtail then it becomes a "cut/splice" and I doubt that's what you're wanting. If they're sending "pieces" with some minor assembly you're good for the connection aspect.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Thanks for posting back - it's an interesting project for sure and I'm guessing that when you saw the harness there was some head scratching. I don't recall there being any conduit or anything supplied with their packages. Just wires and a bunch of it. Was there any conduit?

I'm guessing EFI is sending you terminals, seals and the shell for the install because the connector on the harness in your image and the VSS for the ZF use different terminals also. If it's a pigtail then it becomes a "cut/splice" and I doubt that's what you're wanting. If they're sending "pieces" with some minor assembly you're good for the connection aspect.
Not sure what you mean by "conduit"?

It's a fully finished harness, all connectors, fuse block, everything labeled - frankly it's a beautiful piece, superb quality.

I had already converted my car a few years ago to a Painless Performance LT1 harness, so no CCM, etc, basically wired like a street rod, so the EFI Connection harness is virtually plug n play for me - basically you wire main power to starter, pink wire to ignition on, and fuel pump and you are ready to go.

As far as the connector, I think you are right, it's probably the connector assembly, 99% sure it's not a pigtail - Mike is pretty detailed so he would have you install it the same way he would do it, which is to say correctly. I've been impressed with everything about EFI Connection so far - quality is awesome and all my questions get answered.

Last edited by DVNCI; 03-17-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 AM
JeepCycle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91tpiman
What year is your car?
Tried sending a PM to you and it says I cannot. We had a PM conversation last fall about a chip for my 85. Things got complicated and I almost never saw the heads from it again but just got them back, unmodified. He was in jail. How do I get in touch with you about that chip I need to have burned.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone swapped a T56? Have ZF6 vs T56 vehicle speed sensor question

Quick Reply: Anyone swapped a T56? Have ZF6 vs T56 vehicle speed sensor question