C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need pics of a oil cooler in an automatic L98

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I want to thank everyone for explaining that the KC4 never flows oil but coolant only. I was so confused because when I would do a search for oil cooler on Summit is always showed the small radiator which is attached up front somewhere. The KC4 oil cooler is completely different and looks like it is intended for only everyday driving conditions. I do think it would benefit me for my car and how I use the car.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 AM
justmax36
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
My goal is to ultimately lower overall temps under the hood. I had a long discussion with my friend who had a 1991 manual transmission w/KC4 oil cooler. He suggested that if I explore putting a transmission cooler system up front. The concern first and foremost is space. I do not want to create an issue by affecting the overall airflow to my radiator. Our conclusion is that if the work load on the radiator is reduced by having the transmissin fluid cooled by its own external radiator that will reduce some workload off the radiator. He sggested I call the shop that rebuilt my transmission and ask them for suggestions regarding this issue. The KC4 is another option for the engine oil to get some reduction in temps. If the KC4 could get me 15-20 degree lower oil temps that would be outstanding. vetteoz says it has made that difference and I am impressed. Right now my oil temps run 235-240 degrees driving 2000 rpm's and if I am running 3000 or more rpm's for even a couple minutes the oil temps rise to 250-260. They drop right away once the engine rpm's come back to 1800-2000. I called Castrol about oil temps and they told me not to run oil temps 300 degrees or more for longer than 30 minutes. That is extreme driving ! I think making a change to synthetic motor oil is also in order. Synthetic oil can handle higher temps as well as extend oil changes to 4500 miles. Right now my cost is $18 for Castrol 20W-50 5 quart jug plus $12 for the K&N 2002 oil filter (it is bigger). Mobil 1 is around $45 for a 5 qt jug or close to it. So about the same and I wouldn't have to change the oil as often. I don't mean to bounce all over but the discussion has several issues I feel should be mentioned since they all affect my decision.
I know this is kind late but it may help some. Mobil 1 full Synthetic 5 quart jug is $25 all day every day at WALMART, compared to $39 to $45 at Advance, Oreilys and AUTOZONE.
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (04-10-2021)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 AM
justmax36
5th Gear

I know this is kind late but it may help some. Mobil 1 full Synthetic 5 quart jug is $25 all day every day at WALMART, compared to $39 to $45 at Advance, Oreilys and AUTOZONE.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I was surprised reading the thread again that I couldn't find synthetic oil any cheaper than $45 ? I pay less than $30 for Mobil 1 and use it in both my Corvette's. Mobil 1 ATF is a bit more expensive but not something I have to buy often. The oil cooler issue is not anything I am thinking about these days. My L98 motor runs hot period. Average oil temp 220 and 260 in the summer months. If the rpm's stay around 2000 the oil temps are in the safe zone.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM
k5ride
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Joe C
no sure what you're asking, but the L98 oil cooler has two hoses - one ties into the block near the cooler itself, and the other connects to a metal tube that runs in front of the oil pan, and up the RH side of the engine, and connects, via a tee to the heater hose -

Great pic! I'm installing an L98 in my c3. This pic will help me hook the cooler up correctly. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

xrav22 says he has the KC4 oil cooler and likes it. Does anyone else have this oil cooler and what is your opinion ? Does anyone have a oil cooler that uses a radiator mounted up front ?
I installed the KC kit and can only report it was not effective in reducing oil temp.
IMHO find the Z52 real oil cooler option that mounts the cooler in front of the steering rack.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:22 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
I installed the KC kit and can only report it was not effective in reducing oil temp.
IMHO find the Z52 real oil cooler option that mounts the cooler in front of the steering rack.

The oil cooler/ warmer is just that it warms the oil and keeps it 200- 240
As long as you are in that range you are gold.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

now you're confusing me - I thought the KC4 oil cooler was the only L83/L98 engine oil cooler available, as either a stand alone option, or as part of the Z51/Z52 handling package, and what you call as "the Z52 real oil cooler option that mounts the cooler in front of the steering rack," is actually the power steering fluid cooler -

Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Last month you mentioned you felt the "snapshot" was a "transmission cooler" OE to a '90 vert. I believe you've now got it sorted.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591951866
- that's why I said, i'm confused - fairly sure RPO KC4 is the engine oil cooler, but the cooler in front of the steering rack - ??? - is it a tranny cooler or a PS cooler? neither C4 I presently owned has the "in-front of the steering rack" cooler, so I cant verify the plumbing. I would have bet good money that it was a tranny cooler (and most likely lost my **** on that one), but responding to JrRifleCoach's post looks like it's a PS cooler. makes sense since an automatic transmission is already cooled thru the engine's radiator. I stand corrected.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
- that's why I said, i'm confused - fairly sure RPO KC4 is the engine oil cooler, but the cooler in front of the steering rack - ??? - is it a tranny cooler or a PS cooler? neither C4 I presently owned has the "in-front of the steering rack" cooler, so I cant verify the plumbing. I would have bet good money that it was a tranny cooler (and most likely lost my **** on that one), but responding to JrRifleCoach's post looks like it's a PS cooler. makes sense since an automatic transmission is already cooled thru the engine's radiator. I stand corrected.
Joe C - In your older post I do believe the "snapshot" is maybe a "creative placement" for an after-market transmission cooler (like I mentioned there) and NOT the PS cooler you've mentioned here either, could it be a larger "creation" for the PS Cooler? Likely also.

If you know where you "snagged" the snapshot perhaps there's an actual explanation of what it actually is and what was used for the creation. I mentioned "sorted" but I actually have doubts.

**After posting to yours I read the entire thread again and realized the damn thing was 2+ years old and just deleted mine figuring that maybe the last several posts to the thread were irrelevant. Someone posted oil pricing comments to the then nearly 2 year old post and on it went from there.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-15-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Joe C - In your older post I do believe the "snapshot" is maybe a "creative placement" for an after-market transmission cooler (like I mentioned there) and NOT the PS cooler you've mentioned here either, could it be a larger "creation" for the PS Cooler? Likely also.

If you know where you "snagged" the snapshot perhaps there's an actual explanation of what it actually is and what was used for the creation. I mentioned "sorted" but I actually have doubts.
WV - the photo was part of a series from someone selling a super low mileage/super clean, 1990 corvette. anytime I see detailed photos, I save them, more for reference than anything. i'm thinking this was a 1200 mile car (???). from my older post, I do remember the "creative placement" thing, but really can't recall what I was thinking - tranny cooler or PS cooler, or if I was thinking anything at all -
Old 05-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Joe C
Race Director

**After posting to yours I read the entire thread again and realized the damn thing was 2+ years old and just deleted mine figuring that maybe the last several posts to the thread were irrelevant. Someone posted oil pricing comments to the then nearly 2 year old post and on it went from there.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:07 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

PS cooler?! How about that!? That is one of the L98s weak points for tracking the car.

Now that I've misled you on your quest, (my bad) I will say that the KC* water/oil heat exchanger is not worth the efforts nor the money. Unless your in a cooler climate then it will benefit by bringing the temps up a bit quicker. So if your one of those that have swapped in a 160 t-stat, the benefits are lessened even more.

xrav22 brings in a good point however I looked for a decrease in temps and never saw a difference when traveling on a 95+ degree day with the ac on. I had hoped that both temps (Water 205-215 Oil 215-225) would come closer together. Yet the oil was always +10 higher than water in most all conditions. Some had reported the opposite in my research here years ago.

Side note that there are three different height filters for the L98. For all practical purposes a short and long. With the filter adapter, the short filter is protected by the front cross member from debris damage. Without the adapter the longer filter fits just fine. IE, Wix 51036 (tall) or 51069 (standard) or 51324 (short). Linky

And don't bother to spend/waste the extra money on the "R" version. Read this thread and you'll understand why. Here's some filter info if your ready

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 05-17-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone have pics of an aftermarket oil cooler installed ? I am curious about where to mount the oil cooler and what has proven to be an effective way to install the system. I am leery of using rubber heat tolerant hoses and will definitely use flex line. The idea of using zip ties to attach the condensor is not what I would go with first. If anyone has a proven installtion I would love to see it.
I have this C4 TPIS oil cooler kit, brand new, never mounted or installed;

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/233

Comes w/ an oil filter adapter, Earls cooler, custom C4 mounting bracket & custom stainless lines with heat insulators as pictured in the above link. PM me if you interested $320.00 + shipping.

Last edited by mako41; 05-19-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

It is funny you say about the cooler being a warmer. I actually thought that it was a warmer.
So what I am getting is that coolant runs through the lines and not oil.

Thank you all for the help
Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Great information. I have a radiator type cooler on my 89. The temperature of both the water and the oil run very closed within 10 degrees. Usually the oil is running just about 195 and the coolant is running about 200 - 210 F.
I am thinking that removing the heat ex-changer and replacing it with an oil cooler is the way I am going to go.

Thank you the help. I can't believe the FSM does not even mention the damn thing.

Quick Reply: I need pics of a oil cooler in an automatic L98