C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 corvette radio fuse issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Default 1987 corvette radio fuse issue

Hello all,
1987 corvette coupe with Bose stereo. I had my radio out the other day to replace bulbs in the message center. Put the connections back on and fastened the radio back in. Next day after driving the radio quit and the time set to 100. Took radio out again then realized a fuse blew. Replaced it and it worked a short while. Turned car off and the fuse blew again. Same fuse as the interior door lights, radio, and others. Not sure if anyone would have any similar issues but figured I'd ask. I'll take it out again and disconnect the memory wire and trace it backwards. Any suggestions or direction to take? Thanks in advance

Kevin
Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 AM
greekguy85
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugly87
Hello all,
1987 corvette coupe with Bose stereo. I had my radio out the other day to replace bulbs in the message center. Put the connections back on and fastened the radio back in. Next day after driving the radio quit and the time set to 100. Took radio out again then realized a fuse blew. Replaced it and it worked a short while. Turned car off and the fuse blew again. Same fuse as the interior door lights, radio, and others. Not sure if anyone would have any similar issues but figured I'd ask. I'll take it out again and disconnect the memory wire and trace it backwards. Any suggestions or direction to take? Thanks in advance

Kevin
Check to see if u pulled or scraped any wires that could be shorting out.... Also check the grounds..... Since the problem started after pulling the radio look in that area.... If u need a diagram let me knw
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

You probably nicked a wire.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If it's the CTSY/CLK fuse (which supplies the interior lights and several other circuits that need power when the ignition is turned off), you might have a problem in the cigarette lighter socket (most obvious place). Otherwise, that circuit goes to a lot of places and you'll need the FSM to show you where to look.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 corvette radio fuse issue

Quick Reply: 1987 corvette radio fuse issue