C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions?

Old 07-18-2002, 05:36 PM
XTwinTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions?

For all those running the Mcleod setup.
I'm leaning towards getting a Mcleod street twin clutch setup with single mass flywheel.

The question I have is how complete is the kit? Do I need to rebuild my slave cylinder or replace my master cylinder? (The Camaro guys talk about rebuilding the slave as part of the kit)

Also, does the kit come with new flywheel bolts as I've read you need to use shorter bolts to make up for any differences?

Thanks for any info.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions? (XTwinTurbo)

I'll give you the info I've got so far. The package comes with flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disks, floater, throwout bearing, and all the hardware inc. new flywheel to crank bolts. I'm a day or so away from driving mine for the first time so I don't have complete feedack yet. My instructions didn't mention anything about shortening the clutch fork pivot by .050", yet I've read a couple of times that it needs to be done. I'll find out soon enough. I didn't have to do any modifications to the clutch master or slave cylinder, yet. So far, I know it disengages. Again, once I get to driving it, I'll know for sure.

hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:30 PM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Default Re: Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions? (SloRvette)

Yes, there is much playing around necessary to get them running properly.

I spent 6 weeks last summer getting it in the first time, when it was right, MY GOD, this thing felt like you could twist a mountain out of the earth just by feathering the clutch.

Then I rebuilt the motor, and everything went to crap. The clutch wasn't working properly at all. I've been told that I need to play around with the hydraulic system (play with the size of the master/slave cylinders) since I changed the actuation method of the clutch from diaphragm to fingers. Great fun. 3 masters and 3 slaves later, and many combinations of the different sizes, and no luck.

Played around for a bit, and still problems... Very strong, very good clutch (even for street use) but be prepared for some nightmares.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Know there are alot of these sitting in garages by previous users. Make sure you have the rear beefed up also.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:20 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

RedRocket, you are right. I have a Mcleod STreet twin setup had I took out after going to an auto tranny. It was the hotlick setup. I went with Kevlar discs as well as a hydrualic release bearing.
Phil C

[Modified by wheelsup, 11:21 PM 7/19/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:19 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions? (wheelsup)

I got to take mine out for the first time last night. Feels real good. The engagement point is pretty narrow. The point is also about 1/3 of the way off the floor without cutting back the fork pivot. I've got another on order that I'm gonna have cut back the .050" and install later.

I'm very happy with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about getting Mcleod Twin clutch questions?