C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smoke out of Valve Covers?

Old 07-19-2002, 06:48 PM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smoke out of Valve Covers?

I have a L98 (1991) and i have always had smoke comeing out of the valvle covers? I have the baby air filters were the PVC valve use to go and since i got my charger it seems to be smoking more under boost then normal?? Any thoughts?
Old 07-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Blown Vette
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Smoke out of Valve Covers? (krivera)

Unfortunately it is blowby. Most likely caused by detonation under boost due to a lean condition. The fuel system must receive major improvements in a supercharged engine. This will necessitate a larger injector (42's at minimum) with the boost you say you are turning at your elevation. There is a chance that the boost gauge you are using is inaccurate as 10 psi @ over 5000 ft. is more than I would expect out of a d1 unless you are using a stock TPI and heads. A aftermarket intake and heads will reduce boost but increase airflow allowing you to burn more fuel and make more power.

At this point you need to do a leak test and find out how bad you cylinders are and if a rebuild is needed. Don't feel bad if this is the case as many of us have had this happen, tuning is critical to getting it to last.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:03 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah- what he said.

Some amount of blowby/smoke is normal; depending how fresh the engine/rings were when you installed the blower. However if it's "puffing" smoke or blowing oil out the dipstick, then you've got more serious problems.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:53 PM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: Smoke out of Valve Covers? (gcrouse)

:cry GREAT! yeah it is puffing smoke out the dip stick at idle now! but now that i think about it i would think it is about time for the engine blow after running 150shot and 10psi at one time :lol: Well i am sure i am getting blow by and stuff so i guess i will drive old girl till she :U !!!!! And put her to :sleep: Any idea what kinda rings and pistons to run...forged or hypo??? and any idea's on heads?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:57 PM
krivera
Drifting

Oh and sorry I about my spelling and grammar just woke up! :lol:
Old 07-22-2002, 01:53 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need dished pistons to lower your compression to around 9.0 (or lower) depending how much boost you're planning. Use a good forged blower piston: JE, Ross, Arias, Wiseco, etc. A gapless ring set like C&A Zero-gap or Total-Seal, will reduce the blowby from excessive cylinder pressures. Make sure you run a ductile iron (not cast or chrome) top ring.

There are several good flowing heads from people like AFR, Brodix, Dart, with thick decks so they don't warp and blow gaskets.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:50 PM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: Smoke out of Valve Covers? (gcrouse)

Thanks ----> gcrouse
I wrote that down now it is time to make real boost! :reddevil
Old 07-28-2002, 01:26 AM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plasma moly rings would be my suggestion, they don't fracture like the normal cast/ductile untreated rings. pistons, yea the JE, ross type are the strongest but also require more gap. the speedpro forged is kinda cool cause you can set it up really tight. i wouldn't try over 600hp on those though, anymore and the JE or Ross are a must. get some good H beam rods too...$250 on ebay for eagles

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke out of Valve Covers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke out of Valve Covers?