C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Won't Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
nmbassy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start Up

I recently purchased a 1985 Vette. I took it on two test drives and started it up a total of probably three times. Each time it started right up. I stopped to get it notarized, then went to start it to go home. It wouldn't start. It wouldn't even crank. The battery was fine, so that's not the issue. The only possible thing I can think of is the starter, but I tapped on it with a hammer and nothing happened when I tried starting it again. Could it be a security feature or something else? Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Good battery, loose terminals?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Test for 12 volts at all times on the B terminal of the starter, test for 12 volts on the S terminal of the starter when someone turns the key to start, and test for 12 volts at the M terminal when someone turns the key to start. Finally test for ground on the casing of the starter.

If you get 12 volts on B, 12 volts on S, and 12 volts on M, the starter is bad.

If you get 12 volts on B, 12 volts on S and no voltage on M, the solenoid is bad.

If you don't get 12 volts on B, then there is a lose or broken or corroded connection on the battery cable to the starter.

If you don't get 12 volts on the S terminal then you could have bad wiring, bad relay, blown fuse, or bad ignition switch. If this is the case report back with this information and we will help you go into further diagnosis.

If you don't get ground, check all of your engine grounds and make sure your starter and the starter mounting surface are very clean.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Is the car manual or auto?? If manual you have a clutch switch, if an auto you need to be in either neutral or park.. Also IIRC there is a starter interrupt relay, that have to provide a path to the starter from the ignition..
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 PM
nmbassy
3rd Gear

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
nmbassy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Is the car manual or auto?? If manual you have a clutch switch, if an auto you need to be in either neutral or park.. Also IIRC there is a starter interrupt relay, that have to provide a path to the starter from the ignition..
It is automatic. I tried starting it in both park and neutral but nothing happened. It seems like a dead battery but it isn't. I'm not sure I'll troubleshoot it and try to find out the problem. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
there is a starter interrupt relay, that has to provide a path to the starter from the ignition..

If the relay is faulty you will get no power to the starter
Need to check for power at the interupt relay ; key in START position
If no power in on grn/ wht ,NSS is faulty.
If no power out of relay , it is suspect
If no power into NSS , then need to check power on the yellow out of the Ign switch

Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I think this is the drawing for the 85..
[IMG][/IMG]

Little behind vetteoz, either drawing should work for you..

Last edited by ccrazor; 05-01-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The starter enable relay is controlled by the security system. It must be disarmed to start the engine. With the door open and ignition off the SECURITY light should be flashing. If the SECURITY light is on solid then the security system is armed.

The security system is disarmed by unlocking the door. There is a switch attached to the lock cylinder. Sometimes it will not disarm the security system if the key is not returned to the vertical position when unlocking the door.

Usually the horn will honk if the door is opened while the security system is armed, but sometimes people disconnect the horn relay or horns.

Get notified of new replies

To Won't Start Up

Quick Reply: Won't Start Up