C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Number 2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ??

I am going to have new relays put in this week in attempt to solve SES problem that's pulling codes 33 & 34. I've seen on the Forum and heard from others this should be an inexpensive way to rule out relays. Any estimates on what this should run so I don't get hosed ? And it seems many Forum members have had success by doing just this. But if I do not, should the next step be to replace the MAF or check the ECM ?? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:27 PM
mt_789
Instructor

Default Re: New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ?? (Number 2)

I just put in a new MAF on my 88 coupe this weekend, but did not get the chance to put in the two new relays. Actually the AutoZone I bought the MAF from only had one relay in stock, and I think it was like $8.00. I have the car at the dealer today for a headlight motor problem, and since they were only charging like $9.00 for the part, I think I am going to have them do it for me, unless the labor rate kills me. I believe they are behind the battery, but I did not get far enough to see if you have to pull the battery ( a real pain) to change them out. If not, it is probably a quick and easy job. My MAF went out and left the car undriveable, but as soon as the new MAF was in and I reconnected the negative battery cable, I was back in business. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2002, 05:01 PM
Frank Zeman
Advanced

Changed out both of them recently. Pretty easy job, just a little snug to get at things. Both are on the firewall right behind the battery. Relays themselves were $15 each and I had to go to two dealers as each only had one. The battery disconnection cleared the codes and have not seen an SES code since. Is there anything under a vette hood that isn't snug!!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Number 2
Advanced

Default Re: New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ?? (Frank Zeman)

Thanks Frank. Which 2 relays were they ?? The MAF burnoff I assume is one. What is the other ??
Old 07-25-2002, 08:28 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ?? (Frank Zeman)

Changed out both of them recently. Pretty easy job, just a little snug to get at things. Both are on the firewall right behind the battery. Relays themselves were $15 each and I had to go to two dealers as each only had one. The battery disconnection cleared the codes and have not seen an SES code since. Is there anything under a vette hood that isn't snug!!

I agree with Mr. Zeman, the battery disconnect with clear the codes. When I did them for my brother's '87, I had to go to two dealerships to get the two relays, which for '87 'vettes, are identical. My '86 have two different relays. By the way, I did try to get them at my local Advanced Auto, but to no avail. Dealership charged me an arm and a leg! :mad Also, I removed the side panel and the battery to gain better access. It's worth the small hassle. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Rick Williams
Burning Brakes

You can replace them yourself. I had the same codes and replaced them @ $15.00 each.I used Delco parts from a Chevy dealer.. On the relays it said "made in China" But it fixed the problem..
You don't need to remove the battery..
Old 07-28-2002, 11:24 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

The other one is the MAF power... This one is closer to the engine. The burn off relay comes off first!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:48 PM
2001 Z06
Advanced

I replaced both of them on my 87 vette, not hard at all. I got both of them at Mid-America for like $17, yes for both of them. So do not get them from the dealership.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Number 2
Advanced

Default Re: New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ?? (86VetteBill)

Thank you all. I replaced the 2 relays this weekend. Parts cost $14 each....labor 15 minutes. SES light is now out (for the time being !!) and I perhaps avoided a $700 job replacing MAF and/or ECM. Thanks a bunch !!!
:flag :cheers: :D :chevy :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ??

Quick Reply: New Relays for MAF ; how much and how effective ??