C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Saw blade wheels for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Saw blade wheels for HPDE?

I will soon begin HPDE with 1993 C4, with Z07 package. I will have new Motul 600 or better brake fluid, new brakes and rotors, braided ss brake hoses, speed bleeders, and brake ducts. I will initially be running on Kumho Ecsta street tires, 275-40-17 all around.

The car is currently equipped with stock saw blade style aluminum wheels.
With that wheel, you can barely see the rotors, which makes me wonder if these wheels present an obstacle to properly cooling the brakes.

Does anyone have experience to say yes or no about this?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although there are many factors that contribute to poor brake cooling, in my track experience over the last 12 years, the 17" sawblades are one of them. The ID of the 17" wheels leaves very little circumferential
clearance to the top of the caliper plus the obstructive front design of the sawblades. I highly recommend the OEM Z06 18 x 10.5" wheels all around. Much, much better, cheaper race tire availability and ease to upgrade to the C5 fronts. My favorite pad was the Raybestos ST43 but you're limiting factor is your choice of tire.

The LT1 based C4 needs a really good tire considering how much technology has evolved in 21 years. I'd recommend switching to the Pirelli 275/645-18 World Challenge scrubs all around unless you want to practice giving point byes.
Originally Posted by emptnest
I will soon begin HPDE with 1993 C4, with Z07 package. I will have new Motul 600 or better brake fluid, new brakes and rotors, braided ss brake hoses, speed bleeders, and brake ducts. I will initially be running on Kumho Ecsta street tires, 275-40-17 all around.

The car is currently equipped with stock saw blade style aluminum wheels.
With that wheel, you can barely see the rotors, which makes me wonder if these wheels present an obstacle to properly cooling the brakes.

Does anyone have experience to say yes or no about this?

Quick Reply: Saw blade wheels for HPDE?