C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking for a harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (RatRacer)

Is that a Terry Farber harness bar? I like the larger hoops.
Yes, I like it better than the AS&M bar because you dont have to bolt it to the roof panel. ;)
Old 07-25-2002, 02:05 PM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (Gary96LT4)

The "Loops" are just for looks and to jack up the price. I recomend the one from http://www.R-Dracing.com, go to their web site to see pics. I use a 5-point harness for the NCCC events. And it does stiffen up the body. Dave at R-D Racing supports the CorvetteForum and is having a group purchase right now to save you even more.
The loops were installed to prevent DECAP:eek: in a bad Accident. :yesnod: Not for looks
Old 07-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (Zora)

Zora,
How do the "Loops" prevent a Decap?? It's not a roll bar.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Zora,
Well it might hold together attached at the seat belt points in case of a roll over. It's sure as hell better than having nothing there.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:44 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (Mr. Magoo)

Zora,

Well it might hold together attached at the seat belt points in case of a roll over. It's sure as hell better than having nothing there.
It looks like it would prevent something like the back glass from taking off your head if during a bad crash it came off.

Think of it this way, if someone where to swing a baseball bat at the back of your head, something like those hoops would offer more protection than nothing.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Zora,

Ditto :D
There was a Bad accident a few years ago in Florida...If you seen it you would know why they installed the loops. It was a Vette with just a straight bar....I did have pics of it. :(

[Modified by Zora, 3:52 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 04:58 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Clint....
I don't think Terry makes his bars in Chrome..... but not to say you couldn't have it done later.
Or maybe Terry would do you a special one.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Zora,

It looks like it would prevent something like the back glass from taking off your head if during a bad crash it came off.

Think of it this way, if someone where to swing a baseball bat at the back of your head, something like those hoops would offer more protection than nothing.
A baseball bat to the back of the head while driving?? OK, Glad I don't live in your neighbor hood.
This is why you are suppose to wear a helmet at autox's.
My point was simply that the Loops are not intended to replace a roll bar. Maybe they might offer some limited protection in a few situations. I think a harness bar is a great idea, but just keep in mind what it is: a harness bar. Intended to hold a harness in place, and offer some stiffness to the car. :cheers:

[Modified by Gary96LT4, 1:58 PM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 07:13 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

I have seen objects that have penetrated the occupant's cab during a car wreck. Depending on the object, they can do some baseball bat like damage. If you don't get the analogy then maybe you don't have anything to worry about.. :)

You don't have to roll a car to have something come through the back glass during a bad crash. When the crap hits the fan, having a metal bar of any kind between your head and any solid object is a good idea.

I don't think anyone here is saying that a harness bar will do the job of a real roll bar. It's just one more line of defense against a potentially bad situation.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:23 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

The loops on that harness bar have one purpose only: They are there to engage the "T-top" pins with a small tab to prevent rotation of the bar.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (ghoffman)

The loops on that harness bar have one purpose only: They are there to engage the "T-top" pins with a small tab to prevent rotation of the bar.
Well not on mine, my bar don't need them. It has flanges that rest on top of where the Glass top slide into.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:08 PM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Helmets do not protect your neck(DE) and we know the harness bar is not a roll bar.
I would give $$$ for the pics of the Florida wreck right now(Does anyone have them?) :yesnod: Of the head laying in the street and the body in the car with the harness bar(no loops). Oh....and it was not a roll over. You do not have to roll a car for this to happen. :nonod:

And I never said anything about roll over protection....but I'm sure its a little better than just a straight bar. :yesnod:

[Modified by Zora, 2:28 PM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

To each his own :cheers:

[Modified by Zora, 2:27 PM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 04:05 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Helmets do not protect your neck(DE) and we know the harness bar is not a roll bar.
I would give $$$ for the pics of the Florida wreck right now(Does anyone have them?) :yesnod: Of the head laying in the street and the body in the car with the harness bar(no loops). Oh....and it was not a roll over. You do not have to roll a car for this to happen. :nonod:

And I never said anything about roll over protection....but I'm sure its a little better than just a straight bar. :yesnod:

[Modified by Zora, 2:28 PM 7/26/2002]
I never mentioned anything about neck protection. I understand that a helmet won't protect your neck, I mention the helmet because it was said that it was like a baseball bat to the Head. I brought up the roll bar, yes you are I right, you said nothing about a roll bar. But I just brought it up incase someone thought it might protect like one, keep the roof from caving in. And that was somehow what you were talking about by "decap".

Even a roll bar can't protect you from everything, and neither can a harness brace.

Old 07-26-2002, 05:09 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Gary, I'm glad you like your RD harness bar but I'm not too concerned with the protection available from a roll bar or a harness bar. The reason I started this thread was to see what styles of bars are available w/ hoops. The bars I am interested have hoops, not for protection, but to pass visual tech at my drag strip when I run in the 11's. When they look in your car and they see hoops they think it's a roll bar. I know someone that got away with that at my local dragstrip.

I do however believe that the hoops will indeed help protect the back of my head if, for some reason, the 34 pound nitrous bottle that I have mounted behind me came unglued during a crash. I'm sure getting hit in the back of the head with a full nitrous bottle would be somewhat akin to being hit by a baseball bat if not worse. Hopefully you understand that is what they call an analogy, not to be taken literally. If you think a helmet will protect you from a baseball bat or a flying nitrous bottle you can come over to my place with your helmet and we can perform some tests to find out how well it protects your head from my bats and bottles.

Back to the actual topic of this thred, from the pictures of the various harness bars, it looks like the Terry Farber bar has the largest hoops and will most likely get me through tech when I bust off a 11 second 1/4 mile pass.

Thanks to all that posted pics.

[Modified by RatRacer, 3:26 PM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Rat....
guess you are right...helmets are useless........would you rather be hit in the head with or with out a helmet if you were hit by a ball-bat. Helmets are stupid for football players, motorcycle riders. You should tell them all that helmets don't protect from bats or anything so they don't need to wear them.
I understand what an anology is....You just don't get my humor
If you are reqiured to run a roll bar and fool the inspectors..I guess that is something that you will have to try to live with....when you crash.....

If you think the Loops are what you want to go with, then great. If you are required to have a roll bar, its probally for a reason, why try to fool the inspectors and risk your life???? To save a few dollors??
I was just trying to give options and explain that I heard the loops don't do much, perhaps they do. When is was mention that someone might be decaped, I wasn't thinking about a baseball bat or anything else coming from the back, This is why I asked for more info on how a person was going to be decaped.
Tracks usually reqire a racer to wear a helmet, maybe because they potect your head, and some reqiure roll bars, maybe to protect you also, If you want to cheat, please do. It will help the population.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:42 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Gary, you are irritating. I started this post asking a specific question about a specific product and your response was and continues to be off topic.

This post is not about helmets, roll bars or harness bars w/o halo hoops. If you can't contribute anything positive about the topic of harness bars WITH HALO LOOPS I would appreciate it if you would find another thread to post.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a harness bar

Old 07-26-2002, 06:50 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Re: Looking for a harness bar (fastzr1)

Hey Clint....
I don't think Terry makes his bars in Chrome..... but not to say you couldn't have it done later.
Or maybe Terry would do you a special one.
Ed,on page 21 of the latest KOTH,Terry's classified ad lists a chrome unit for $455 and a black powdercoated unit for $330.
Clint
Old 07-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Ok, Rat..
You want to talk irritating....fine.
I simply mention an alternative product!! And my opinion. You stated that the Loops stoped decaps.. and I asked why, or how. You started the :bs by saying I don't know what an anology is, and wanted me to come over and let you test my helmet.
Your right this thread started being about harness bars, but things evolve, you said that the loops stop hits to the head,I said that a helemt helps against hits to the head, you made it about helmets by saying that a helmet is no good for hits to the head. Then you further show your inteligance by saying you want to cheat with an harness bar when you need a roll bar.
I was happy to stop contribuiting to this thread, but not when you make stupid comments like come over and let me hit you on the head with a bat.
I would appreciate if you would look at my first post and realize that it is on topic, simply offering an alternative product, some people may not know of other options. I guess you already heard of all the options but many people read these threads and maybe they don't know all the brands out there. Many people ask in a thread for other people to do their research on products ,and many people offer up other options, seems like part of the fun of being on a forum.
Don't make any more stupid comments to me and I'll stop posting to your thread!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:33 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Gary, please reread the very first post in this thread. It is asking for harness bars WITH HALO LOOPS. That's what I need. The RD does not have halo loops so it does not help me nor does it respond to the original question. What I intend to do with my car is my business.

Also, I was not the author of the post about decapitations but I did and still do understand how a halo loop behind your head would offer SOME protection from an rear impact. That seems to be lost on you because you are fan of the RD product and are blind to the additional protection a halo loop might offer.

BTW, I would not need a bar of any kind to run on a IHRA sanctioned track as they allow stock type cars to run above 11.49 w/o a roll bar. Unfortunately my local track is NHRA sanctioned. The NHRA's requirement for a roll bar in cars running under 12.0 is total BS, especially when there are two American cars being sold today that are capable of such times straight off the showroom floor. I love to break such assinine rules because I am a individualist and have a mind of my own. I have the ability to differentiate between rules that my have had redeeming value 20 years ago and rules that are totally obsolete with today's safer cars.

This is last post on this subject. Have fun with your haloloopless RD harness bar.

[Modified by RatRacer, 6:37 PM 7/26/2002]

Quick Reply: Looking for a harness bar