C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What brand wheel hub??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
vetterobert
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What brand wheel hub??

Hey guys, sorry if this has been beat to death before....

I need to replace the rear wheel hub assemblies on my C4. I know I should buy the Timken hubs but at $110.00 each that is outside my budget at the moment. But then I don't want to buy Chinese junk for on the car either. Are there any other quality brands that would be trustworthy? There are numerous offerings out there for half what the Timken hubs cost but I don't want a hub coming unglued at high speeds on me!!
Help!
Thanks
VetteRobert
Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Then wait... seriously...

But check Rock Auto for SKS or Chicago Rawhide, too.

Stay away from National... and Moog... IIRC, Moog is now Chinese made.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 PM
vetterobert
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there.... They have one from Omni 5 for 32 bucks and one from L & S Automotive for 75 bucks. Never heard of either company myself, and web searches don't come up with much about them...
vetterobert
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

SKF or Timkin, either get one of these 2 brands or don't drive the car until you can afford to ...Almost anything else is going to need replacing alot sooner, so they really end up not costing as much in the long run...I agree , any wheel bearing from China is going to be junk...WW
Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I bought some at the local parts store for my '94 a few years ago for about $180 each. I don't remember the brand, but they failed in about 25k miles. I decided to go cheap and I found some no name ones for about $45 online. I only had the car for another 25k miles but they were still good when I sold the car.

For my '95 I bought this winter (at 42k miles the OEM bearings are bad), I bought a set of Precision hubs from a closeout at Rock Auto for $27 a couple months ago. I was skeptical about them, but both the box labeling and the parts are stamped with made in the USA. I was surprised. So far so good.

I really think it is hit or miss whether you get a set that lasts from nearly any supplier.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterobert
Hey guys, sorry if this has been beat to death before....

I need to replace the rear wheel hub assemblies on my C4. I know I should buy the Timken hubs but at $110.00 each that is outside my budget at the moment. But then I don't want to buy Chinese junk for on the car either. Are there any other quality brands that would be trustworthy? There are numerous offerings out there for half what the Timken hubs cost but I don't want a hub coming unglued at high speeds on me!!
Help!
Thanks
VetteRobert
that sounds like a good price for a timken hub set

i bought s k f's 3 years ago and they were $130 each.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM
lozer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't touch the cheap ones at napa. They fail within a week.
(or one autox)

Get notified of new replies

To What brand wheel hub??

Quick Reply: What brand wheel hub??