C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tps install ron

Old 07-19-2014, 05:34 PM
roxanne48183
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tps install ron

I replaced tps on my 1984 vette set v at.54 still misses on low rpms and chokes a little when I accelerate hard. Help and code 22 still comes up after I cleared all codes. Anyone got any Ideas thank you.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The TPS gets a 5 volt reference signal from the ECM. If that signal is not there then you can get a code 22. Obviously the 5 volts must be there or you would not be able to measure the 0.54 volts coming out of the TPS.

The TPS signal is pulled low inside the ECM as a fail safe so the engine will not rev up if something goes wrong. If the connection between the TPS output and the ECM goes open then you will also get an error code 22. You might have a broken wire or a corroded or poorly contacting connector pin, either at the TPS or at the ECM.

My suggestion is to put contact cleaner on the TPS connector pins. Unplugging and replugging several times might clean off any corrosion because the pins rub against each other when you do this.

If that doesn't help then I suggest that you pull out the ECM and measure the voltage on pin C3, which is the dark blue wire from the TPS. You should see the 0.54 volts there when the ignition is on. If not then contact cleaner and multiple unplug/plug cycles would be the next step.

If all that fails then the wire itself may be open (or the ECM is bad). Running another wire in parallel with the old wire will show you if the wire is the problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 PM
roxanne48183
7th Gear

Hi cliff thank you for the input I did pretty much everything you mentioned even replaced the ECM except I didn,t try cleaning the connectors at the TPS I am going to try tomorrow had it today plus its dark out . thanks again I really appreciate the info.

Ron

O
Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM
roxanne48183
7th Gear

Default TPS install ron

Originally Posted by roxanne48183
Hi cliff thank you for the input I did pretty much everything you mentioned even replaced the ECM except I didn,t try cleaning the connectors at the TPS I am going to try tomorrow had it today plus its dark out . thanks again I really appreciate the info.

Ron

O
This my first time using a forum it said my reply was to short so I added this.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by roxanne48183
This my first time using a forum it said my reply was to short so I added this.
Usually it will do that if don't type anything at all.

Get notified of new replies

To tps install ron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tps install ron