C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine problem-need some tech help...please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Gixxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine problem-need some tech help...please

I'm not sure if these two things have anything to do with each other but they both started around the same time.

First, the week when I go to start the car when I turn the key all the power comes on but the car doesn't turn over, it's takes a couple times.

Now, the last few days when it does start the motor sounds like someone is shaking marbles in a tin can. It sounds like there is no oil in it. It is sooo loud and doesn't even sound like a my car. The strange thing is that when it happened the first day it went away when I put it in drive. It didn't make the sound for another day or two and now it is doing it again(even in drive). It is so bad when it is making that noise that I can't even drive it.

I know this is really hard to diagnose over the internet but does anyone have any ideas??? I am freaking out and can't wait until monday to have someone look at it.

:confused: :(

Any input would be greatly appeciated!

[Modified by Gixxer, 9:39 AM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 12:15 PM
needanother1
Racer

Default Re: Engine problem-need some tech help...please (Gixxer)

Does the noise vary with RPM? Is your starter possibly not disengaging the flywheel? I'd be inclined to think that the two problems are related and that there's a problem with your starter. Just a guess, of course. I would shut it off if it makes a noise that bad, but if it IS the starter not disengaging, your flywheel teeth are probably already trashed. Does it sound funny while cranking?

Jason
Old 07-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Gixxer
Racer

Default Re: Engine problem-need some tech help...please (needanother1)

The noise doesn't really vary. I only revved it once and it did get louder but was consistant with the rattling noise. My guess was the starter for the first problem but I didn't know that it could make the car run like that.

No, it sounds pretty normal when it cranks over. When it does crank-it will start right up.

If this is the problem, is it a major problem or somewhat an easy fix?

Old 07-27-2002, 10:22 PM
2001 Z06
Advanced

Default Re: Engine problem-need some tech help...please (Gixxer)

If you just have to replace the starter...thats no biggie. Replacing the flywheel or flexplate requires removing the transmission.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Engine problem-need some tech help...please (2001 Z06)

It doesn't sound good! I could suggest a number of probable causes. Many of which will require proper testing and disassembly of major components that could include the starter and even the transmission. If you are mechanically inclined, please let us know and I will try to post some possible wasy to diagnose it. Otherwise, you would be better off taking it to a shop that is equipped with a lift and the proper tools.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Gixxer
Racer

Default Re: Engine problem-need some tech help...please (2001 Z06)

So I think you guys are right and it's the starter. I had a mechanic friend come over and take a look at it and he thinks so. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Engine problem-need some tech help...please

Quick Reply: Engine problem-need some tech help...please