C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software?

I put in a 160 tstat lastnight. I have a Hypertech PPIII but don't like the temp ranges they use for fan activation w/ 160 tstat. on at 176 and off at 165 according to the LCD readout as you use the programmer (but manual says on @ 192 and off at 185 for 160 tstat, go figure...). I checked and it looks like the LCD readout was right they come on at about 176 - 178 and stay on forever. I'd like to get the fans to go at 192 on and 185 off like the friggin' Hypertech manual says they should. The programmer and manual are in conflict. So, I have a new laptop PC, and was wondering if there was any free software that would allow me to get into the ECM and just program the fan temps. I'm not really interested in other tuning on my own, I don't think.

Anything you guys can give me tips on, I would appreciate. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software? (Lone Ranger)

Only one I know about for your year is here:
http://www.lt1.net/editor/

Ain't free, though.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:54 AM
ChrisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software? (Hendej)

http://www.tunercat.com also makes a software package which will work for you.

There is no free software available that will allow you to alter the pcm contents.

You can wire a switch to manually turn the fans on/off - for the price of the switch and wire.

Old 07-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software? (ChrisB)

Thanks Chris. Just frustrated with Hypertech not doing as advertised, manual says on/off at 192/185 but their 160 setting inside the bin file in the programmer actually sets it like 176/165 on/off (according to the LCD readout when using the programmer on the car) which keeps the fans on all the time and I don't want to wear them out that way.

Any way to hack the bin file in stored in the Hypertech programmer?

As a work around I'm using the Hypertech's fan settings for 180 tstat, which again the manual is off slightly, manual says 213/205 on/off but in practice it is 211/197 which is admittedly better than the stock settings

I wish I had known more about the whole laptop & tuner software stuff before buying the Hypertech Programmer III... but at least I got it used for less money than a new one. As luck would have it, I just got assigned a brand new Compaq Evo 180 laptop from work!

http://www.tunercat.com also makes a software package which will work for you.

There is no free software available that will allow you to alter the pcm contents.

You can wire a switch to manually turn the fans on/off - for the price of the switch and wire.

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 10:25 AM 7/28/2002]
Old 07-29-2002, 12:06 AM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software? (Lone Ranger)

Any Dynotuner will change the settings/give you a couple wide band 02' sensor pulls and tweak you F/A trims for 75.00.Goos Luck Dave S.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software?

Quick Reply: Can I set 'fans on' temps w/ laptop and free software?