C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR-Solenoid

Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Eike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR-Solenoid

Hi.

unfortunately I did not take a picture when I removed the EGR-Solenoid of a '85 C4. Could anyone help me out where blue should be connectred to? Does look like it is made for a small rubber hose ...

As far as I know red and green should be connected to the plenum and EGR-Valve.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:14 PM
J H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eike
Hi.

unfortunately I did not take a picture when I removed the EGR-Solenoid of a '85 C4. Could anyone help me out where blue should be connectred to? Does look like it is made for a small rubber hose ...

Nothing is connected to the place you marked blue. At least nothing is connected there on my 85.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:19 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

The only thing on the blue port was a little piece of foam filter that probably disintegrated long ago.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:37 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The only thing on the blue port was a little piece of foam filter that probably disintegrated long ago.
Indeed it is the air bleed port.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Indeed it is the air bleed port.
What's interesting about these EGR vacuum solenoids is they are open when static, meaning the ports allow air to flow through them when they are on the bench. I've read a lot of posts where it's stated that the valve should be closed. It's not, it's open until the ECM shuts it. And I believe it pulses it instead of just on or off. If you have it off the car you can blow through it. Put 12vdc on it and it closes. I don't think the solenoid pictured is available anymore. I just installed one on an '85 today, it's from a 92-96 Vette. I had to install a new wiring connector and cut the plastic line and the molded rubber connector off the car's plastic vacuum hoses to slip rubber vacuum hose on the plastic lines so they could be connected to the new solenoid ports. The new solenoid ports are closer together and the molded rubber connector won't fit. There have been a lot of posts about these EGR solenoids. The later Vette solenoids work with modifications. I have one on my 80's Camaro that uses the same molded rubber piece but I couldn't find a replacement for that one either. One of the Vette part houses sells one to fit with the same mods I made. Here's a link... http://www.volvette.com/4EN40D.html . I actually bought a EVS34 for $21.99 from Auto Zone and modded it. It's the same solenoid. I probably didn't add much to this thread. Maybe I should create a new one since this is an issue some members are dealing with. Have fun.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-30-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 PM
eliebarcham
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where exactly do the green and red line tube connects to? They are lost on mine for some reason.
Thank you

The following users liked this post:
Leaps (03-17-2018)
Old 04-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
I actually bought a EVS34 for $21.99 from Auto Zone and modded it. It's the same solenoid. I probably didn't add much to this thread. Maybe I should create a new one since this is an issue some members are dealing with. Have fun. Art
I think that's a great idea and would benefit a lot of people on the forum. There's a lot of parts that are no longer made and becoming difficult to find and these types of modifications are a necessity. Especially for us early C4 owners where some parts are one or two year only pieces.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by eliebarcham
Where exactly do the green and red line tube connects to? They are lost on mine for some reason.
The hole on the left goes to a vacuum port on the bottom of the throttle body. The hole on the right goes to the EGR valve. You also need the connection to the ECM to make it all work.

The following users liked this post:
Leaps (03-17-2018)
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 AM
eliebarcham
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That helped me a lot.
Thank you very much
Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 AM
Leaps
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eike
Hi.

My 89 has a small rubber boot attached to a plastic air tube at a 90deg angle.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Default Get-solenoid

Nothing goes there. There is usually a small piece of foam held in place by the metal or plastic v shaped clip. It’s an exhaust vent, I believe, when the solenoid opens to release the vacuum off the egr diaphragm.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:20 AM
Mario M
1st Gear

Default Connector

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
What's interesting about these EGR vacuum solenoids is they are open when static, meaning the ports allow air to flow through them when they are on the bench. I've read a lot of posts where it's stated that the valve should be closed. It's not, it's open until the ECM shuts it. And I believe it pulses it instead of just on or off. If you have it off the car you can blow through it. Put 12vdc on it and it closes. I don't think the solenoid pictured is available anymore. I just installed one on an '85 today, it's from a 92-96 Vette. I had to install a new wiring connector and cut the plastic line and the molded rubber connector off the car's plastic vacuum hoses to slip rubber vacuum hose on the plastic lines so they could be connected to the new solenoid ports. The new solenoid ports are closer together and the molded rubber connector won't fit. There have been a lot of posts about these EGR solenoids. The later Vette solenoids work with modifications. I have one on my 80's Camaro that uses the same molded rubber piece but I couldn't find a replacement for that one either. One of the Vette part houses sells one to fit with the same mods I made. Here's a link... http://www.volvette.com/4EN40D.html . I actually bought a EVS34 for $21.99 from Auto Zone and modded it. It's the same solenoid. I probably didn't add much to this thread. Maybe I should create a new one since this is an issue some members are dealing with. Have fun.

Art
. Where do I get the connector or do you have a part numbers
Old 05-04-2020, 01:10 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Default Egr solenoid

Are you referring to the electrical or vacuum connector?
Originally Posted by Mario M
. Where do I get the connector or do you have a part numbers

Get notified of new replies

To EGR-Solenoid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR-Solenoid