C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 hood lift requirements in pounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 12:55 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Default C4 hood lift requirements in pounds

I just replaced the hood struts (small ones at the nose) on my 87 convertible. After reading here and elsewhere to see how much of a difference I could expect with replacing them and finding varying opinions I figured Id find out just what it actually took to raise the hood of the car.

So using a scale for measuring luggage weight I tested it.

The hold test was lifting the hood just off completely closed and seeing what it showed was needed to hold it in that position.

45.19 lbs dead lift bad struts

37.44 lbs hold bad struts

43.82 lbs dead lift one good one bad strut

30.04 lbs hold one good one bad strut

36.51 lbs dead lift both new struts

24.94 lbs hold both new struts

Hood 45 degrees open

23.14 lbs hold both bad struts

17.90 lbs hold one good one bad strut

10.33 lbs hold both good struts

Also I noticed that with both struts replaced I actually have to pull down on the hood to start it closing now. Before I had to lift to release the lock pin and it would fall from there on its own.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
I just replaced the hood struts (small ones at the nose) on my 87 convertible. After reading here and elsewhere to see how much of a difference I could expect with replacing them and finding varying opinions I figured Id find out just what it actually took to raise the hood of the car. So using a scale for measuring luggage weight I tested it. The hold test was lifting the hood just off completely closed and seeing what it showed was needed to hold it in that position. 45.19 lbs dead lift bad struts 37.44 lbs hold bad struts 43.82 lbs dead lift one good one bad strut 30.04 lbs hold one good one bad strut 36.51 lbs dead lift both new struts 24.94 lbs hold both new struts Hood 45 degrees open 23.14 lbs hold both bad struts 17.90 lbs hold one good one bad strut 10.33 lbs hold both good struts Also I noticed that with both struts replaced I actually have to pull down on the hood to start it closing now. Before I had to lift to release the lock pin and it would fall from there on its own.
Great info. It reminds me that I should buy new struts. Lol

Quick Reply: C4 hood lift requirements in pounds