C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is it alright to drive an automatic like a manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Tom and Black, were/are u guys running any special atf additive and/or a special tranny cooler?

Are you guys in hit or cold climates? Tom says he dragged his...was it like every weekend or a few times?
No special additives here. I was in New England at the time; hot in the summer, COLD in the winter. I drove that car year round as a DD'r. Drag raced it maybe 20 times....although back then, every stop light was a drag race. Ha ha...

Originally Posted by arbee
So are you saying that if you are in OD and start heading down a steep slope, if you take your foot off the gas you are going to have engine braking?
That is exactly what I'm saying. The auto, when locked up in OD, performs and behaves exactly like a stick shift, in it's OD gear. How could you not know that, then post advice about how trans' work??
Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I really have a hard time manually shifting an automatic but I guess that's what they're made to do.

How far down should someone shift an auto to use the engine for braking? All the way down to first if needed?
Yes. Shift to what ever gear is necessary, to get the results you need.

Guys, if the trans couldn't cope w/this, there wouldn't be an option provided on the shifter. And/or there would be a warning in the owners manual against using lower gear ranges...and there is no such warning. In fact, the owners manual advises using lower gears for deceleration/decent control.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
No special additives here. I was in New England at the time; hot in the summer, COLD in the winter. I drove that car year round as a DD'r. Drag raced it maybe 20 times....although back then, every stop light was a drag race. Ha ha...

That is exactly what I'm saying. The auto, when locked up in OD, performs and behaves exactly like a stick shift, in it's OD gear. How could you not know that, then post advice about how trans' work??
Well I see a lot of advise posted here that is incorrect. However, when I am wrong, I don't have a problem admitting I am wrong unlike a lot of others. I simply asked a question and don't need a snarky response. If you check my question to bjankuski, you would see that I am trying to get my facts straight. At least he has a dignified way of replying.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Churchkey
A trans oil cooler + ratchet shifter + manual valve body = fun.
link to manual valve body.
http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/376010...oductId=747237

I have a Stage 4 4l60 with a full manual valve body. It has been autox and track duty for 4yrs going into 5th. I have a trans temp guage as well to monitor temps. Never had an issue with overheating. The full manual was one of the best upgrades I have done. Before the original trans failed, the shifts were unpredictable.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi

I have a Stage 4 4l60 with a full manual valve body. It has been autox and track duty for 4yrs going into 5th. I have a trans temp guage as well to monitor temps. Never had an issue with overheating. The full manual was one of the best upgrades I have done. Before the original trans failed, the shifts were unpredictable.

from what ive read here, we can manually shift the auto trans in stock for so was yours unpredictable while even manually shifting or when letting it auto shift.

went for another rip today before todays snowfall and my tranny sure feels fine while manually shifting it.

and so far we have nobody replying with bad storys from manual gear selection in an auto while many saying they do it with no trouble.

so far just warnings saying that its going to cause trouble but nobody with the trouble yet. im appreciative of all the comments and experts on both sides because i dont want to fry the tranny!! im thinking that the warnings are mostly related to heat so maybe a simple trans cooler would more predictably allow normal service life with manual operation of an auto.

this would hold up even for autox and perhaps road track?

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 03-15-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:32 PM
johnnyb15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shouldnt really hurt the trans as long as you have proper cooling. with the stock "cooler" i bet you're running 200-240 at all times
Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM
johnnyb15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the converter is locked in OD it will have some engine braking until you hit whatever mph it unlocks. on mine its about 40mph???
Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

IMO, even more so than on the street. Leaving the shifter in "OD" or "D" on the track or autox is going to have the trans shifting through multiple gears at every single corner entry and corner exit. If that is not heat building, bad for clutches, and hard on the trans, IDK what is. In a track situation, manual shifting is much better for driver control, and also trans life.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an auto in my 400 RWHP vette with a built tranny and a precision torque converter. When drag racing or screwing around, I always drove the car like a manual. No problem, ever.
The car is in Norway now, and I have a little tear in my eye when ever I see a c4, kinda miss that car....
Old 03-16-2015, 02:15 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a 3500-4000 stall converter and a trans cooler in. You will have more fun and beat some of those cars riding along side of you a lot easier, while not beating on the trans. Not letting an auto shift on its own creates extra heat/wear and tear in the trans and motor.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 77vette05
Put a 3500-4000 stall converter and a trans cooler in. You will have more fun and beat some of those cars riding along side of you a lot easier, while not beating on the trans. Not letting an auto shift on its own creates extra heat/wear and tear in the trans and motor.
On a road track or autox? I don't think so. Please explain how this can be....

I would also seriously reconsider a 4000 RPM stall converter on a stock or stockish car being used on a road course or autox.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-16-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM
77vette05
Instructor

On a road track or autox? I don't think so. Please explain how this can be....

I would also seriously reconsider a 4000 RPM stall converter on a stock or stockish car being used on a road course or autox.

How do you take my post which I was talking about the street, and turn it into road track or auto x?? Yep your right. keep the trans in any gear besides drive driving around on the streets. It keeps the clutches and bands at higher rpm's which there is more friction and creates more heat. Transmissions do not like heat. 3500-4000 stall I suggested was for the street, not road course or auto x. The op was talking about the street not road course or auto x. Have you ever driven a stalled car? You can drive your auto trans in first gear or second gear, but I'll let mine shift like it was designed too.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

How do you take my post which I was talking about the street, and turn it into road track or auto x?? Yep your right. keep the trans in any gear besides drive driving around on the streets. It keeps the clutches and bands at higher rpm's which there is more friction and creates more heat. Transmissions do not like heat. 3500-4000 stall I suggested was for the street, not road course or auto x. The op was talking about the street not road course or auto x. Have you ever driven a stalled car? You can drive your auto trans in first gear or second gear, but I'll let mine shift like it was designed too.
Careful partner, this isn't going to end well for you.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

being noob, im not one to debate. i just ask the questions!! one thing that i should clarify is that what i want to do is to race the car on a road course. i called it a road track but maybe thats the wrong terminology.

i just want to be able to drive my vette on the street, and on "race tracks" like the nurburgring in whatever way the best would be for an auto trans.

im not much for confrontation and i just want to thank all for thier experience based opinions and/or knowledge! thnx all.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

How do you take my post which I was talking about the street, and turn it into road track or auto x??
Easy.
1. You said nothing about "street" in your post,
2. In the post immediately above yours, I was replying to the OP about track and autox...which he asked about in his latest post above mine.

That is how I took your post to mean track and Autox.

W/regard to street, are you aware of how much heat high stall converters can generate? Yes, I've driven them. Also you are assuming that the OP is asking about driving around at high RPM. Just b/c you're manually shifting doesn't necessarily mean that you're winding out the engine (and trans).
Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Easy.
1. You said nothing about "street" in your post,
2. In the post immediately above yours, I was replying to the OP about track and autox...which he asked about in his latest post above mine.

That is how I took your post to mean track and Autox.

W/regard to street, are you aware of how much heat high stall converters can generate? Yes, I've driven them. Also you are assuming that the OP is asking about driving around at high RPM. Just b/c you're manually shifting doesn't necessarily mean that you're winding out the engine (and trans).
I missed his post on auto x and track. I was referring to his first post of street racing. So I see what your talking about shifting on the road corse now. I didn't realize the op wanted to race both, so the converter would not be good.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

from what ive read here, we can manually shift the auto trans in stock for so was yours unpredictable while even manually shifting or when letting it auto shift.

went for another rip today before todays snowfall and my tranny sure feels fine while manually shifting it.

and so far we have nobody replying with bad storys from manual gear selection in an auto while many saying they do it with no trouble.

so far just warnings saying that its going to cause trouble but nobody with the trouble yet. im appreciative of all the comments and experts on both sides because i dont want to fry the tranny!! im thinking that the warnings are mostly related to heat so maybe a simple trans cooler would more predictably allow normal service life with manual operation of an auto.

Running in an autox or on track is totally different ball game than racing around on the street. The trans becomes unpredictable because the line pressures have to be at certain pressures to shift. Before I got the full manual, I could come to a very tight slow corner and need to get to second gear, that may or may not occur instantly, it could take a second. Once you loose that second, that may be the difference between winning and losing. Go try an autocross sometime, you will like it.

Get notified of new replies

To is it alright to drive an automatic like a manual

Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Running in an autox or on track is totally different ball game than racing around on the street. The trans becomes unpredictable because the line pressures have to be at certain pressures to shift. Before I got the full manual, I could come to a very tight slow corner and need to get to second gear, that may or may not occur instantly, it could take a second. Once you loose that second, that may be the difference between winning and losing. Go try an autocross sometime, you will like it.
this guy, calvin, is the guy who inspired me to actually race the vette.

i prefer the interior of the early c4's so i think that means im destined for a 4+3 manual....

....yes i saw that 8k 4+3 86 ebay car...

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 03-16-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

i prefer the interior of the early c4's so i think that means im destined for a 4+3 manual....
89 = early guts + 6sp.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:54 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Do not worry the transmission will be fine, i in fact have blown many transmissions in normal drive and overdrive.

Forget about a high stall converter on a standard TPI engine, these engines give you the power from idle to 5,500 rpm where they are restricted due to the intake.
3500-4500 is where these engines produce their peak.

I would recommend a switch for disabling the torque converter lock when you want to drive it hard.

The first gear in the turbo 700 is great for launching the vette from standing start, i found the best 1/4 mile times with leaving it in drive.
Yes it can be fun shifting it manually but that is what the auto transmissions are there for, to do it all automatically select best gear.

I only really use manual shifting going up or down mountains. Drag racing i just leave it in drive, the trans knows best...

The only thing that extends life of a transmission is how much h/p you put through it, a trans fluid cooler is the best thing to do to an auto trans.

Quick Reply: is it alright to drive an automatic like a manual