C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does something happen to my '87 z51 @ around 105mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does something happen to my '87 z51 @ around 105mph?

This is probably a super stupid question.. but I have to know. Around 105mph in my corvette, something magical happens that the car just all of a sudden feels like it's completely glued to the road. I feel safer driving my c4 z51 going 105 mph and faster than I do going half of that speed. it's predicable; the ride smooths out; the handling is tight... crisp. It's simply indescribable, unless you've owned one and have been there.

So is there some funky phenomena occurring, or is it just the car being the car doing what its supposed to do?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

It probably is stupid, but I had the same impressions with my '85 Z51.

It seemed to smooth out and become very stable at over about 100. At 60 to 70 it seemed a little harsh and almost too quick on steering response (although I really like the quick response). Maybe at high speeds it has a little more slip on the tires so that it doesn't react as fast which gives the impression of being smoother and more stable. Just a wild guess. Who knows??? But it does feel different at higher speeds.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Proably all the built in aero pushing the car harder downward?!

I could cruise my old Z at 120 all day it felt like just felt tight and quiet
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 PM
jmartynuska
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fx3?
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
Fx3?
In the ZR-1 very likely yes, the '85 & '87 Z51 cars certainly NOT.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Corvette40
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my 88 up to 150mph and it was very smooth and responsive. Can become addictive though, so be safe.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 AM
JD1964
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 108 Posts

Gotta have well maintained road that's nice and flat. At those speeds, small bumps turn into big bumps and can upset you pretty quickly.

Driving at high speeds is not safer. Sure is fun though.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:23 AM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 91 with the 'soft suspension' when it was running clicking the cruise control on @ 110 mph was a blast....I'm also a grad of Skip Barber racing school. The car felt like it was doing what it's supposed to do....
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't forget those magic blue "party" lights that can appear in the rearview mirror.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:35 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QCVette
It probably is stupid, but I had the same impressions with my '85 Z51.

It seemed to smooth out and become very stable at over about 100. At 60 to 70 it seemed a little harsh and almost too quick on steering response (although I really like the quick response). Maybe at high speeds it has a little more slip on the tires so that it doesn't react as fast which gives the impression of being smoother and more stable. Just a wild guess. Who knows??? But it does feel different at higher speeds.
YES! Exactly! I told my gf the same thing; between 60-70 it really makes you internally debate on going faster. But once you cross that 105mph threshold, she's an entirely different animal.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Proably all the built in aero pushing the car harder downward?!

I could cruise my old Z at 120 all day it felt like just felt tight and quiet
Possibly... I'd definitely think so? I have an aftermarket large wing on the car... maybe the added down-force is just that much more noticeable, or maybe the car is just being "the car" lol

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
Fx3?
Originally Posted by Corvette40
I've had my 88 up to 150mph and it was very smooth and responsive. Can become addictive though, so be safe.
I've hit 130-135 and noted the same; just more responsive and secure feeling the faster you go. And I can honestly say speed is my only addiction in life, but my what a dangerous addiction.

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Don't forget those magic blue "party" lights that can appear in the rearview mirror.
The only reason I let off. The hill I was driving up; once you crest it, the sheriff station is a half mile away
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

or the wind pressure just pushes on the car so you dont hear all the looseness.rattles built in to the car LOL

Top/high speed runs, pass. Last one out had a bike in front of me, caught a sudden side gust of wind, both of us. Then thought, "if a coyote or something" ran out in front of me its curtains pretty much along for the ride at that point, never did it again.
I prefer to be able to know I can get down a 1/4 mi at the track real quick these days thats about it. If I can ever make it back out, its been yrs.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

You know what? I'm actually EXTREMELY impressed with my corvettes build quality. I'd put it on par with many new cars. NOT what I'm used to at all, especially with an old car. There are no creaks, squeaks, rattles or otherwise.

I thought you were a big track man? Why haven't you been out there for a while?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

On my last cross country trip I had the same thing happen on my 04
suburban. I was running with 3 other cars for quite a while and was surprised when I looked down and we were doing 115, this was in wyoming I believe.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 PM
C Moe
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Interesting thread, here's a little front page science about it...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...force-science/
Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C Moe
Interesting thread, here's a little front page science about it...
nice!!!! Thank you! I will read that now
Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I suspect it has to do with damping. A C4 creates aero lift, as do all street stock corvettes until the C7 Z06 Stage Two Package. The damping of a car is a compromised between smooth ride and keeping the car "buttoned down" so to speak. Put simply, an old Cadillac would be more comfortable than a corvette at around town speeds due to its soft springs and damping. However, at high speed the Cadillac could wallow badly and be uncomfortable due to insufficient body control by that same soft suspension.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Clairvoyantwolf
I suspect it has to do with damping. A C4 creates aero lift, as do all street stock corvettes until the C7 Z06 Stage Two Package. The damping of a car is a compromised between smooth ride and keeping the car "buttoned down" so to speak. Put simply, an old Cadillac would be more comfortable than a corvette at around town speeds due to its soft springs and damping. However, at high speed the Cadillac could wallow badly and be uncomfortable due to insufficient body control by that same soft suspension.
thats interesting. I actually just read that all stock corvettes create aero lift (which I didnt know..), but also didn't know the stage 2 package eliminates this in the c7.

Get notified of new replies

To Does something happen to my '87 z51 @ around 105mph?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
thats interesting. I actually just read that all stock corvettes create aero lift (which I didnt know..), but also didn't know the stage 2 package eliminates this in the c7.
Yes, the only stock corvettes that produce actual downforce and not just lift reduction are the C7 Z06 stage II and III.

Another thing to consider is that the C4, I believe, has speed sensitive steering that will "firm up" at higher speeds. But whatever it is, for a stock C4, it will not be downforce as the cause. Now you said your car is modified with a wing, I doubt it produces downforce or noticable downforce...but who knows
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Yeah, this is really nice. It's been posted above and I'll do it again...

you should get ground effects and a wing so you can feel it at 60mph. smh.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:44 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Clairvoyantwolf
Yes, the only stock corvettes that produce actual downforce and not just lift reduction are the C7 Z06 stage II and III.

Another thing to consider is that the C4, I believe, has speed sensitive steering that will "firm up" at higher speeds. But whatever it is, for a stock C4, it will not be downforce as the cause. Now you said your car is modified with a wing, I doubt it produces downforce or noticable downforce...but who knows
Ohh I didn't know the c4 has the speed sensitive rack. I bet that has something to do with the confidence-inspiring drive at those speeds also. I'm not sure if my wing produces any actual downforce or not... looks pretty neat though

Quick Reply: Does something happen to my '87 z51 @ around 105mph?