C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing Clear Coat from stock 95 aluminum rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Bill Jennings
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Clear Coat from stock 95 aluminum rims

The clear coat is beat up on my 95 vette turbine design stock aluminum rims. Any suggestions on removing clear coat to then polish and recoat?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A paint stripper will work Aircraft paint stripper would be a good choice given the wheel is aluminum.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

on my 90, I used captain lee's spray strip - took about 5 minutes to strip the clear from each wheel. I did not remove the tires from the rims, and the best thing, water neutralizes the stuff. I used a metal polish paste, and lightly hand polished each rim. I did not re-clear the wheels.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:28 PM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
on my 90, I used captain lee's spray strip - took about 5 minutes to strip the clear from each wheel. I did not remove the tires from the rims, and the best thing, water neutralizes the stuff. I used a metal polish paste, and lightly hand polished each rim. I did not re-clear the wheels.

those look amazing!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Bill Jennings
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you kindly

I was thinking about a stripper (not that kind) but, I didn't know if that would be too caustic/acidic and burn the finish.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
A paint stripper will work Aircraft paint stripper would be a good choice given the wheel is aluminum.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 PM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the process of stripping the clear of my 89 rims using the Kleen Strip Aircraft Remover.

I'm having my "usual" luck with things, because after about 6 applications (some leaving on for up to 30 minutes) , the clear is coming off in spots. I have it mostly off but still have to go over it. I am using a high pressure spray to remove the clear and have even tried a plastic flat putty knife.

I hope you find a good way because after watching a handful of youtube videos, it is definitely not coming off as easy for me. Maybe mine was really stubborn clear?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
Wow, that looks fantastic!!!! How long ago did you do them?
Are you using any special kind of wax/polish/sealer to keep them looking that good?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Wow, that looks fantastic!!!! How long ago did you do them?
Are you using any special kind of wax/polish/sealer to keep them looking that good
from the date on the pic, I'd say it's coming up on 3 months. the metal polish used was "Wenol all-purpose metal polish," topped off with a coat of "mother's." I haven't done anything since the stripping/polish/wax thing, other than washing (and using a wheel cleaner). still looking pretty good, but it's probably due for another coat of wax. I usually pull the wheels on my cars about every 6 months for a serious cleaning anyway, so most likely i'll hit the them with the metal-polish (and wax) at that time.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-29-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Joe, were your wheels painted gray in the slots? if so did you remover that also? I would like to do my 93 wheels but don't want to remove the gray paint in the slots.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by We Gone
Joe, were your wheels painted gray in the slots? if so did you remover that also? I would like to do my 93 wheels but don't want to remove the gray paint in the slots.
I don't think the slots were painted. when I stripped the clear, I did not notice any gray paint.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:00 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default wheel stripper

I did mine with stripper and a cheap paint brush, put it on with the brush, let sit long enough so It oes not dry in the sun,, u will see the crinkle where it has lifted the clear, be patient and use a stiff fabric brush to rub it off, wipe clean and if needed do over until the harder spots come off, then go it with some mag polish and wipe away it will turn out good, now if you want a higher gloss finish I would suggest a small bffing pad that comes with the shank already on it to insert in a power drill, apply polish and buff out to your liking, this is a dirty and time consuming job but well worth it, word of caution, do not get it on the painted surface, u will get discoloration, if u do wipe off immediately. I was quite **** with mine and ctually wet sanded it to almost chrome like on the out side of the rims edge
Old 04-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Most people don't know this but being a machinist it is my business to know. Aluminum forms an anti-oxidant layer almost immediately after it is cut, sanded or polished. I have made and refinished many aluminum parts and have never clearcoated any of them. One part I made for a bike I had was polished to a mirror finish and stayed that way, fully exposed to the elements, for as long as I had the bike (4 years). Of course, if the aluminum comes is contact with some kind of corrosive, it will stain, but only if left for an extended period. Cast aluminum is almost as resistant to discoloration as billet, but not quite due to its porous nature. Discoloration and pitting in clear coats has been more of a problem for me than bare aluminum. Keep bare aluminum clean and dry and it will shine on. Just a heads up.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

On my '90 wheels and on my '94 wheels the slot areas appear to be painted.

The gray paint is much tougher than the clear coat. If you are chemically stripping the clear it may not strip the gray. However, When I stripped the '94 wheels I was having some difficulty and repeated applications of the stripper took some of the gray also. So be careful when you do it.

What worked best for me was the brush on stripper, then wait but don't let it dry, then a high pressure water spray. I used my garden hose and it worked but a car wash or power sprayer would work much better. The last set I did was on a Cadillac CTS and it took about 3 times with the stripper and hose to get it all off.

Also be aware that if the clear is bad, there may be some corrosion in the aluminum wheel. If it is very light corrosion a light buffing may restore it, but if the corrosion is a little bit more (most common) the buffing will not restore it, so it may need to be a full polish and you will loose the original machine finish.

I have also left the bare aluminum on some wheels. It actually looks a little brighter than if clear coated. I also tried some rattle can clear made for wheels (I think it was Duplicolor) that was a mistake. It turned yellow in about a year or two, and then in another year started cracking. If I use a clear coat in the future it won't be a rattle can product unless someone researches to find a good one.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:15 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Default clear coat

There is a product called Everbrite, I have used this with good results when I had my gold wing,,,,do a search, and decide if it is for you.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Thanks.

I took a look at Everbrite. It looks interersting and pretty good.

How is coverage? Does it cover pretty thin? Do you know what quantity would be needed for a set of wheels?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Default everbrite

It goes on thin,,, there web site is www.protectaclear.com that should give you the info u need. after u have finished cleaning and polishing apply and let dry u will not have to touch them just wash them off like u would any other wheel, I had them on my mc wheels for several years, a mc will get more abuse than a car so I did remove the coating and reapplied with a fresh coat. removing was easy .

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 04-30-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Space387
Racer

How has your coat of everbrite lasted? I am thinking of doing a coat of their protectaclear during the winter.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by Space387
How has your coat of everbrite lasted? I am thinking of doing a coat of their protectaclear during the winter.
i had it on my mc, with no problems, if you do not like it, you can remove i easily .
The following users liked this post:
Space387 (10-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Clear Coat from stock 95 aluminum rims

Quick Reply: Removing Clear Coat from stock 95 aluminum rims