C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where is my ASR/ABS relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Where is my ASR/ABS relay?

Hey all, ok I need help understanding where my ASR/ABS relay is. And/or any advise you can give would be appreciated.

Background: So I've had an intermittent ASR/ABS light since I've had my 95 w/auto. I also know that the previous owner had the same issue every since he bought it at 10k miles. There really is no rhyme or reason why or when its on. Temp and humidity can vary but the one constant is that its either on or off when the ignition is turned on.

So here is what I've done so far and why I suspect its the relay. (all done over the span of a yr)

1. Bled all four corners until fresh fluid came out. All four flowed perfectly so I know there is no mechanical restrictions.

2. I saw an article that said 95% of the time this problem is the relay.

3. When the light is off the ASR & ABS works perfectly. (wet road)

4. Rear: I removed the rear wheel sensors, cleaned them, and put dielectric grease on the connections & bracket.

5. Front: I used dielectric grease on all connections. I also checked ohms & volts. 1038ohm on RF and 1130 on LH. Spinning by hand I measured about 0.4V

6. I removed and put dielectric grease on the large connector on the unit behind the drivers seat. I also removed and greased the small fuse in the IP (#36 I think) and the large one (ABS) behind the battery. All connectors and fuses looked perfect.

7. (today) Barrowed a friends high end snap-on scanner and watched all for wheel speed sensors as I drove. They all report wheel speed with smoothness.
Code stored was a "63 Valve relay circuit". It said there have been 4 restarts since the code was triggered. I cleared it and have started / restarted the engine about 6 times and driven a few miles. Light off so far.

Ok so... when I KO the lights all come on and when the ASR/ABS light goes off (like it normally should) I hear a click to my left and forward. I'm pretty sure this is the relay acting like it should and it sounds like its in the IP. Maybe just left of the speedometer cluster.

I saw it mentioned the relay on a 95 is on the EBCM which is right behind the drivers seat. Well.. mine doesn't look like this. (below are pics of mine)

Ok guys.. where is my Relay and what is the right part to get?
(rock auto shows two different ones: 1.ABS Modulator Relay 2.ABS Relay)

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Just seems to me that since "95% are the problem" and I get a code 63... surely its got to be my relay?

Please help

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 05-02-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:30 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

May help (?): https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-light-on.html
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Yeah I saw that post. But the same question is asked in #12. #13 says:

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Looks like the BPMvalve relay is in the one closest to the manifold on the pump motor in the rear left hand compartment. the outboard relay is the Pump motor relay.
The problem is there are NO relays on the pump or anywhere in that compartment behind the drivers seat.

After KO and the light normally goes off I hear a click some where to my left and in the IP. I'm 99% sure its in that direction and that its inside the car. I gotta think someone will have experience with this.... or could point me to where it might be.

btw, my 95 has a 4/95 build date. The car was nearly 100% factory original when I got it. The previous owner always had it serviced / repaired by a Chevy dealer who specialized in vettes. So I highly doubt someone did some kind of hack or pump swap.
I'm a bit confused because my pump and compartment doesn't look like the one pictured in the link I gave.

Here is that pic:

I found a picture of mine. Looks like in 95 they switched to a "Bosch 5" system.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 05-02-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 AM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Thank you Sir! I'lll give that a try
Old 05-29-2022, 04:28 PM
bfigueroa
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this post has been around for a while but I also can not locate the ASR relays on my 1994. The main ABS / ASR module is behind my driver's seat but I have read that there are 2 ASR relays that can get "stuck". It is suggested to either lightly tape them and see if it helps with the ASR service light being on or possibly replace the relays. Would like to check out the relays but need to locate them first. Any help appreciated. Bob
Old 09-12-2022, 09:45 AM
Fekete Cica
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you ever find these?

Originally Posted by bfigueroa
I know this post has been around for a while but I also can not locate the ASR relays on my 1994. The main ABS / ASR module is behind my driver's seat but I have read that there are 2 ASR relays that can get "stuck". It is suggested to either lightly tape them and see if it helps with the ASR service light being on or possibly replace the relays. Would like to check out the relays but need to locate them first. Any help appreciated. Bob
I need to replace my asr/abs relay on my 94 and cannot find it either
Old 09-12-2022, 03:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

There's a cover over the relays in the later C4.

This link should get you a very good image for your '94.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...roduct=2649379

If you have the FSM for your '94 see 8A-201-36
Old 09-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Fekete Cica
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
WVZR-1 (09-12-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Where is my ASR/ABS relay?

Quick Reply: Where is my ASR/ABS relay?