C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'88 starts but then quits

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM
pecosbilly
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woody41
My 91 did the same thing I replaced the same parts, issue ended up being one collapsed cat and one clogged cat. Had the system replaced with a single high flow cat. No issues since runs great with all the new sensors, fuel pump, injectors, ignition, etc. A Corvette shop did a flow check on the exhaust system and found the issue. Worth a try....
This might be helpful. After changing the injectors, I'd accidentally swapped #6 & #8 plug wires. When attempting to start, it backfired! Backfire might have caused partial or full plugging of the catallic and/or one or both of the cats. Thoughts?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 PM
pecosbilly
Heel & Toe

Tomorrow I'm pulling the catallic and will attempt to get it to run on 8!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by pecosbilly
This might be helpful. After changing the injectors, I'd accidentally swapped #6 & #8 plug wires. When attempting to start, it backfired! Backfire might have caused partial or full plugging of the catallic and/or one or both of the cats. Thoughts?
Possible, anything is possible. That one backfire must have been huge enough to plug the cat since it would have to break the honeycomb or melt it. So I doubt it.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Tomorrow I'm pulling the catallic and will attempt to get it to run on 8!
If you are going that route, just disconnect it for a quick test. Don't make it permanent especially if you are in the nutstate of CA.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 PM
pecosbilly
Heel & Toe

My engine backfired when #6 & 8 plug wires were accidentally switched, hasn't run on 8 since. Will start, run for a couple of seconds, then shuts off. Fuel pressure at shrader is 45lbs +-, will run on 6 connected injectors, but not 8. Suspect backfire caused problem, but I don't believe in coensidences...Changed to new injectors prior to the accidentally switched plug wires/backfire. Therefore either backfire caused problem or new injectors are the problem. If nothing from backfire caused the problem, then the injectors are.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

My engine backfired when #6 & 8 plug wires were accidentally switched, hasn't run on 8 since. Will start, run for a couple of seconds, then shuts off. Fuel pressure at shrader is 45lbs +-, will run on 6 connected injectors, but not 8. Suspect backfire caused problem, but I don't believe in coensidences...Changed to new injectors prior to the accidentally switched plug wires/backfire. Therefore either backfire caused problem or new injectors are the problem. If nothing from backfire caused the problem, then the injectors are.
All 8 injectors are connected in parallel. That means that if one is shorted you will get the symptoms you describe. Try measuring the resistance of the injectors and see what you get. They should be around 16 ohms and all of them should be about the same resistance. Sometimes injectors will work OK when cold but then fail when hot, so getting good readings when cold is not definitive proof that the injectors are OK.
The following users liked this post:
pecosbilly (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:39 PM
pecosbilly
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
All 8 injectors are connected in parallel. That means that if one is shorted you will get the symptoms you describe. Try measuring the resistance of the injectors and see what you get. They should be around 16 ohms and all of them should be about the same resistance. Sometimes injectors will work OK when cold but then fail when hot, so getting good readings when cold is not definitive proof that the injectors are OK.
Thanks, I think I checked them before (been over 2 years trying to solve this problem) but I'll check them again. Where does the wiring to the injectors originate? Could a 'short' in one or more cause this problem?
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 AM
catso
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I've read 5 pages of this thread and nobody has solved their problem. Wish I knew what the OP did; sounds like he got rid of the car.

Quick Reply: '88 starts but then quits