C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'93 700r4 governor valve question

Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '93 700r4 governor valve question

So as part of diagnosing my shifting problem (sometimes starts in 2nd, sometimes won't shift out of 1st) I pulled the governor to see whether the valve is working.

At first I thought it was stuck pushed in, in the "high RPM" position. When the weights are collapsed, the valve stays pushed it & doesn't move. However I can use a popcicle stick pull it out towards the bottom of the governor, it seems to move freely.

I was thinking it would be sprung against the tension of the weights, but this isn't the case. When in the transmission, does fluid pressure keep the valve against the weights? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a spring or that's somethings not working.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Just some basic info, does not answer your valve
question: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

More info (may not be helpful) but there are contact numbers that should provide your answer:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/competition.htm
Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 AM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I think I figured it out.
I found a youtube by monstertransmission that shows a governor, it looks like the valve isn't sprung but it should slide up & down from gravity as you turn the governor upside down.

Mine wouldn't do that before, but after soaking the non-gear end in gumout solvent & shooting up the bore with choke clearner, the valve slides up & down nice & smooth with no apparent hang-ups. It now behaves just like the one on the video. The gear itself looks fine so I'm going to re-install.

I'm hoping this is at least part of my shifting problem, I'm also going to drop the pan & make sure the small governor filter screens are in place, now I'm starting to think they may have fallen out when I did my shift kit a few years ago.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Hope you will be fine My governor was sticking. Cleaned it. Lasted 15 is miles. Took it out, cleaned again. Lasted 30 miles. My trans had to be rebuilt.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:00 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Hope you will be fine My governor was sticking. Cleaned it. Lasted 15 is miles. Took it out, cleaned again. Lasted 30 miles. My trans had to be rebuilt.
Ouch. Thay sux.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I fixed my governor by taking it apart and sanding off the sharp edges on the piston. While in Drive it would stay stuck in 1st at red line and wouldn't shift into 2nd unless I lifted. All good now.

Get notified of new replies

To '93 700r4 governor valve question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '93 700r4 governor valve question