C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question on adjusting cable on 88 cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 05:02 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Question on adjusting cable on 88 cruise control

First of all, the cruise works. Problem is it is very difficult to set. My foot has to be dead on speed for it to catch. Once the cruse takes control the speed of my C4 can vary as much as 8mph if the road is not flat. I’ve tried to adjust the cable but do not see the cable to the throttle body move.
I have replaced all vacuum lines and all the cables at the throttle body have been moved previously when I pulled the intake and Heads for rebuilding. What do I need to do to get the cruise to work like it use too. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:33 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Didn't read through the write-up, but may help (?):

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...ontrol-repair/
Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

I read through that site and did a search, was not my problem. I did a search and found nothing about adjusting the Cruise nut. Do I turn it clockwise and counter clockwise to shorten the cable? I could tighten by shortening the chain by one link. Don't know what to do.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Once the cruse takes control the speed of my C4 can vary as much as 8mph if the road is not flat.
Does it increase the throttle opening on upward inclines and decrease it on downward inclines? If it does then this might be normal. I just read recently that there have been problems with some servos that allow the speed to vary up and down. The only fix is to replace the servo.

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I’ve tried to adjust the cable but do not see the cable to the throttle body move.
The servo takes up the slack automatically. You should have a very slight amount of slack in the cable at the throttle body (to prevent the cruise control from affecting your idle).

Here's another cruise control repair article:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/82001/
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Does it increase the throttle opening on upward inclines and decrease it on downward inclines? If it does then this might be normal. I just read recently that there have been problems with some servos that allow the speed to vary up and down. The only fix is to replace the servo.

The servo takes up the slack automatically. You should have a very slight amount of slack in the cable at the throttle body (to prevent the cruise control from affecting your idle).

Here's another cruise control repair article:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/82001/
Cliff, the answer to the first question is yes. The Servo must be the problem. Can the Servo be rebuilt? Going to search now.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on adjusting cable on 88 cruise control

Quick Reply: Question on adjusting cable on 88 cruise control