C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

using a heat gun to check transmission temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default using a heat gun to check transmission temp

guys if i want to check on my trans temp, and i have a digital temp gauge gun, where do i point the laser beam to get an accurate reading?

I am dealing with some trans issues in another thread but its gotten so old and stale i dont think anybody is reading it anymore.

so i thought id ask this specific question all on its own.

cheers, VT.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
guys if i want to check on my trans temp, and i have a digital temp gauge gun, where do i point the laser beam to get an accurate reading?

I am dealing with some trans issues in another thread but its gotten so old and stale i dont think anybody is reading it anymore.

so i thought id ask this specific question all on its own.

cheers, VT.
I believe it's maybe difficult unless it's a higher end IR. I would do the trans pan, try to insulate/shield the tube to the cooler and check there and also the return near the transmission BUT those pipes need to be pretty well shielded to do anything at all. Compare all of those, see what you get and maybe remove the convertor cover/shield and check that also.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe it's maybe difficult unless it's a higher end IR. I would do the trans pan, try to insulate/shield the tube to the cooler and check there and also the return near the transmission BUT those pipes need to be pretty well shielded to do anything at all. Compare all of those, see what you get and maybe remove the convertor cover/shield and check that also.

the toughest part will be finding a place to pull over where i can see and reach under to aim the laser. i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The transmission pan has the exhaust pipes running around it. That reading won't be accurate at all. I put a sending unit in the pressure port on the drivers side. No drilling and very easy to do
Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

pipes running around it. That reading won't be accurate at all. I put a sending unit in the pressure port on the drivers side.

Those guns Ive found only really measure the outside temp doesnt necessarly mean its truly reading whats inside
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
the toughest part will be finding a place to pull over where i can see and reach under to aim the laser. i'll let you know how it goes.
You've thrown a 'curve' into the thoughts when you mention 'crawling under'. With a quality IR I wouldn't have a problem relying on the results of the 'pan scan' with the exhaust shielded and on a lift.

What are you actually trying to resolve or are you just curious? If you intend to use the pressure port you need to be sure to use a 'very' short sender, there are different thoughts about placement of a temp sensor for actual reference permanently. Many different thoughts. I believe that most suggest a manifold type installation either on the 'RETURN' line to the transmission to gauge the effectiveness of the cooler OR some use the 'OUTLET' to the cooler. Manifold in this case could be a simple T or maybe something else.

I've never done it but I'd think the placement of a thermistor in a valve body port and changing to a 5 pin case connector if you had an early A4 could maybe work for long term.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To using a heat gun to check transmission temp

Quick Reply: using a heat gun to check transmission temp