C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

i'm a real *******. dropped a valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i'm a real *******. dropped a valve

Yesterday I started the car to move from one garage to another. Around a month ago I put some lucas stabilizer in it due to sitting a lot. After 3-4 minutes, the car started stalling. This happens due to the cam.

I started it, reved it a touch, and then revved it to ~6300. It sounded real good, until I heard "clunk clunk clunk".

Haven't torn it down yet. I think I dropped a valve from my moronic 6300rpm neutral rev when I bet the coolant wasn't more than 100* yet. Not sure of oil temp.

No leaking oil, no windowed block. I bet the springs couldn't hang on for that kinda rev, exacerbated by a cold motor.

Ideas? I reckon I could sell as-is.. got a guy offering ~$2,000. Or I could tear down, rebuild (hopefully..) the top end, put a smaller cam in it, and call it good. Assuming the pistons, heads and cylinder walls aren't toast.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

As I recall you were having some tuning issues as well. If I were in your shoes, I'd fix it and throw a carb on it. If it hasn't seized up a compression and leak down test will tell you if it's a valve or something like a rocker arm stud or rod bearing.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

the hardest decision right now, is, sell it, or repair it. I personally wouldn't make any decision until I pulled the heads - or at least the VC's. selling the car "as is," after a full inspection isn't going to cost you anything but a day or two's labor. figure out EACTLY what happened first, then move on. I had a similar thing happen on an 88 buick, family sedan. turned out to be a broken rocker arm stud - sounded like all hell broke loose. turned out to be an easy fix. and finally,

my moronic 6300rpm neutral rev when I bet the coolant wasn't more than 100* yet
...QUIT DOING THAT!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
As I recall you were having some tuning issues as well. If I were in your shoes, I'd fix it and throw a carb on it. If it hasn't seized up a compression and leak down test will tell you if it's a valve or something like a rocker arm stud or rod bearing.
LOL sorry man, my carb days are done. I dont miss that crap one bit!

Originally Posted by Joe C
the hardest decision right now, is, sell it, or repair it. I personally wouldn't make any decision until I pulled the heads - or at least the VC's. selling the car "as is," after a full inspection isn't going to cost you anything but a day or two's labor. figure out EACTLY what happened first, then move on. I had a similar thing happen on an 88 buick, family sedan. turned out to be a broken rocker arm stud - sounded like all hell broke loose. turned out to be an easy fix. and finally,

...QUIT DOING THAT!
Well after the car shut off, I made sure no block windows or oil all over. The car cranked a few revolutions and then stopped again; noticeable resistance on the starter.

I'm so mad at myself. Sometimes, really smart people do really dumb things.

Or is it, really dumb people do really dumb things...
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
LOL sorry man, my carb days are done. I dont miss that crap one bit! :
- personally, I put carbs is the same category as drum brakes -

I'm so mad at myself. Sometimes, really smart people do really dumb things.

Or is it, really dumb people do really dumb things...
- been there - done that...

Last edited by Joe C; 07-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

you may have broken a valve spring. Stage 1 Pull the valve covers. You will spot a broken spring Immediately.. 6,300??? Why???
Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
you may have broken a valve spring. Stage 1 Pull the valve covers. You will spot a broken spring Immediately.. 6,300??? Why???
Because sometimes, I do really, really ****ing stupid things. I dont mess around with the little petty ****.. I just jump right in and go full blown moron

Will a broken valve spring cause the valve to drop, thus locking the motor? The motor turned off, after a series of horrific crunching noises... but after a few minutes I tried cranking and it turned 1-3 revolutions and then stopped again.

EDIT: Let me clarify; I didn't intentially rev it to 6300, I was just giving it a little bit of gas to warm it up quicker so that I could drive it (due to cam/tune), and I got overzealous with the throttle.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I wish you would have not cranked it again sounds like the heads are comming off
Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

you should have never tried re-starting! turned over by hand. Not sure what all your clearances are. But if the engine stops in the middle of rotating. this is what is called un-scheduled disassembly.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I know I shouldn't have tried to re-crank it, but I had to know (in a sick way) if the motor was locked on the spot.

I was thinking to pull the VC's first and see what I can see. Should I skip that and jump right into the heads?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I know I shouldn't have tried to re-crank it, but I had to know (in a sick way) if the motor was locked on the spot.

I was thinking to pull the VC's first and see what I can see. Should I skip that and jump right into the heads?
I believe the VC has to come off first
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Mine sounded like a bad connecting rod when I broke a rocker arm stud. It was a god awful sound. Lots of clanking noises and rough running and backfires. So pull the valve covers first before anything else.
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I believe the VC has to come off first
Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

At least now you don't have to screw with your tune...I'm just saying.....WW
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WW7
At least now you don't have to screw with your tune...I'm just saying.....WW
First thing I said. "YES, screw the dyno-tune!!!11"

I'm so mad about this. Should have kept the rev limiter and shouldn't have revved it like that when cold. If I have to re-replace pistons or re-rehone the cylinder walls I"m going to be livid.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:25 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

First thing I said. "YES, screw the dyno-tune!!!11"

I'm so mad about this. Should have kept the rev limiter and shouldn't have revved it like that when cold. If I have to re-replace pistons or re-rehone the cylinder walls I"m going to be livid.
I'll bet ya it was gonna break sometime anyway.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I'll bet ya it was gonna break sometime anyway.
Maybe... you think it was a part on the edge anyhow? I told the lady that I'm glad it went in my driveway instead of on the road, where I was gonna be in mere minutes from that point.

Get notified of new replies

To i'm a real *******. dropped a valve

Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Like the others said pull the valve covers, inspect valvetrain, pushrods etc go from there. Dont freak out just yet sometimes its something simple. RPM kills parts know its a matter of time with mine also and its all fresh just the nature of the beast sometimes.

If something is bound to break it could be idling and go anyway
Old 07-27-2015, 01:48 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Like the others said pull the valve covers, inspect valvetrain, pushrods etc go from there. Dont freak out just yet sometimes its something simple. RPM kills parts know its a matter of time with mine also and its all fresh just the nature of the beast sometimes.

If something is bound to break it could be idling and go anyway
Fair enough. Thanks for the input guys. I guess instead of driving it to the other garage I'll be having it towed and then pushed in

I just can't fathom something "simple" from preventing the engine from firing, but I sure hope so.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:54 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I dont know why you would rev to 6300rpm, but don't do anything without at least pulling the valve covers.

Quick Reply: i'm a real *******. dropped a valve