C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Burning electrical smell coming from behind the batter on my 86

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:28 PM
NewbeeBob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning electrical smell coming from behind the batter on my 86

Hey gang;

I guess it's always going to be something with these old cars. Electrical stuff isn't really my forte, but I do like to givie it a shot. So, when I rutn on my AC, I've been smelling this electrical burning smell. I popped the hood, fired up the engine, turned on the AC and noticed the smell is coming from behind the batter. There are 2 relays back there and a bunch of wires that terminate on a golt. The wires that terminate on that bolt are hot. If i touch the bolt, it's really hot. I thought it was a ground, but when I checked it with the power probe, it's reading +12 volts. Whatever that thing is, it gets really really hot and only is energized when I turn on my AC.

Anyone know what all that stuff is behind the battery? I'm guessing whatever it is, the thing with all the wires bolted to it, it's failing.

thanks gang.

Bob
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The relays are the MAF power and MAF burnoff relays.

The junction is the "jump start block" (stupid name in my opinion, as you would never use it for jump starting the engine). There are a bunch of fusible links there that supply power to various things that require high current, like the headlights. The output from the alternator also connects there.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 AM
NewbeeBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The relays are the MAF power and MAF burnoff relays.

The junction is the "jump start block" (stupid name in my opinion, as you would never use it for jump starting the engine). There are a bunch of fusible links there that supply power to various things that require high current, like the headlights. The output from the alternator also connects there.
OK, so it's not an electical componenet? just a block supplying power? If that's the case, something connecting to it is heating it up, or there's a week connection somewhere. Guess I'll pull the batter and see what I can find.

Thanks much.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:44 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 206 Posts

Fix this. Mine was loose because the post corroded. The car would definitely have burned up.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 PM
NewbeeBob
Advanced

Default something definately aint right

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Fix this. Mine was loose because the post corroded. The car would definitely have burned up.
I haven't dug into it yet, but it only heats up when the AC is turned on. when I turn it off, things seem to back to normal. I didn't think the AC compressor had a high power need. I thought the power supplied to it was to engage the clutch.

curious, did you get an electical burning smell?

Man I hate electrical stuff. It's never easy

Bob
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 PM
NewbeeBob
Advanced

Default Problem Solved!!

So I pulled the battery out, went to loosen the nut on the jump start block and the damn thing was just about finger tight. Took all the wires off, cleaned them up, hit the connections with a bit of di electric grease, reassembled the whole mess and wha la. no more burning smell. And, I swear the damn thing is idling better with the AC on. who knows what other problems I was having or was about to have with that thing. I'm no electritian, but this sure seems like a goofy way to do a junction.

Anyway, thanks all for helping my identify this and fix it. good confidence booster for when I have to tackle that heater core.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Burning electrical smell coming from behind the batter on my 86

Quick Reply: Burning electrical smell coming from behind the batter on my 86