C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 12:36 AM
UDLUV12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested?

Earlier this evening I read a post by 'VetteWave', concerning using a 160* or 180* thermostat.

In a reply to him, I suggested him doing what I've done recently to my 160* thermostat.

What I did was refer to page 47 of my TPIS Insider Hints catalog, and drilled four (4) .200 inch diameter holes in the body of my 160* thermostat.
(In my catalog, the pictorial presentation is clearly shown on page 48).

I'm the original owner of my L98, '86 Vette, and to be perfectly honest with you, I was somewhat skeptical as to why I would 'need' four holes in my thermostat body, while using a 160* thermostat.

What I found out, by drilling these four holes, (and according to TPIS) it actually "provides bypass circulation", which is now a welcomed addition to helping me keep my engine running cool.

I should mention here that TPIS does suggest we run a 185* thermostat in the 'winter' with four (4) .080 inch diameter holes for circulation.

I have had this Insider Hints book for the better part of 7 years now, and since a recent install of the TPIS Mini Ram, I thought this might be the time to give this TPIS suggestion a shot.

I am so sorry I didn't do this mod earlier. My engine, on the very hottest of days, has not seen the temperature go above 185*. I drive my Vette about two times a week, and when I do I always find myself going through the gears at WOT a time or two.

I'm just amazed...and I'm not talking about driving my Vette in 'the cool of the night.'

No sir, I got out there in the hottest part of the day, on the hottest of days
(98* to 100* ambient temperatures).

Just wondering how many other Vette owners have done this mod?
What were your results?

Thanks,

John

[Modified by UDLUV12, 10:40 PM 8/20/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 12:42 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (UDLUV12)

That's a very good reminder.

What kind of reduction in temps have you noticed; what temps did you run on those hot days before drilling the holes?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:44 AM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (65Z01)

How do I get a copy of this insider tips book? Is it online?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:46 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Be careful with what you buy/read. TPIS Insider Hints is aimed at making you want to buy their products. I think John Lingenfelters book about modifying small block chevy's is much more unbiased even though he uses examples of his own work to prove theory.

If you want to understand WHY things work, give that a read. :cheers:
Old 08-21-2002, 12:57 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (BioRxOkc@aol.com)

I don't know if "Insider Hints" in on line but you can go to TPI Specialties web site and order it for about $15 (or used to be). Though it is biased toward their product lines it still provides some valuable insite into our TPI engines.

I also like JL's book on SBCs as well as Dave Emanuel's book on SBCs.

I think each has a valued place on your book shelf.

BTW, did you plug the stat bypass with RTV as suggested with this mod?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:04 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: (scorp508)

Be careful with what you buy/read. TPIS Insider Hints is aimed at making you want to buy their products. I think John Lingenfelters book about modifying small block chevy's is much more unbiased even though he uses examples of his own work to prove theory.

If you want to understand WHY things work, give that a read. :cheers:
Old 08-21-2002, 02:26 AM
C4-Wolf
Pro

Default Re: (vader86)

I can suggest one reason why you should drill holes in your thermostat. If you are running a TPIS miniram there won't be enough clearance for many thermostats to open fully, so the only way to get good coolant flow is to do this or remove the center piece entirely. Even though the fuel lines rarely line up and even with the thermostat problem the miniram does give a massive boost in power.
Though I have not seen the book I have heard many people say the same thing as Scorp and Vader.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:29 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (C4-Wolf)

I used to have the 4 holes but changed to 2 holes. seems to work better on cool nights (50deg). still stays below 188 on the hottest days.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:01 AM
UDLUV12
Racer

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (BioRxOkc@aol.com)

65Z01,

That is a very good question, one that I should have included in my original post.

Prior to doing the 4 drilled hole mod, my temperatures were always reading around the 203* to 208* mark, on days of driving in 90*+ ambient temperatures. That was as high as it ever got, after I got away from the stock '86 Vette heads (purchasing new heads in 1995 started my mod efforts). My oil temperatures were reading in the 220* to 225* range.

As I mentioned above to begin this post...my temperature, during my drives around town, and on the highways is now rock steady at 176* to 185*.

I can't believe it, and in all my 16 years of owning this Vette, I've never had 'numbers' like this. Never!!

To say I'm happy with the results, is an understatement.

I think the cost of this book (Insider Hints) is about $25 now, and you can purchase it at: http://www.tpis.com

I agree with one of the forum members, that the book is biased towards their product line, but is does make for great reading, and does promote our thought process, no matter if we choose to go with TPIS parts, or those of any other manufacturer.

Again, I highly recommend doing this mod.

John

[Modified by UDLUV12, 6:03 AM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 08:48 AM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

you just convinced me to try it since i'm droping in a new engine any week now...{engine shops take forever on machine work} it is a little bias tward the TPIS line but if you want my oppinion TPIS is one of the BEST companies to deal with on c4 corvettes. i've had nothing but great experences with them the 10 or so times i've ordered. definatly an A+ company.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:45 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Did you also plug the bypass on the water pump?
Old 08-21-2002, 02:32 PM
UDLUV12
Racer

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (War Machine)

War Machine,

I personally did not 'plug' the bypass, but yes, that is another option.

A friend of mine has a heavily modified '61 Vette, and unfortunately has to have his radiator mounted on a slant, due to clearances.

He drilled the 4 holes (.200 inch diameter) after trying to hook up various fans, and said that little tip was good for about 10* lower temps.

He was so happy with that, he tore down the front of the motor, so he could plug the bypass hole, and sure enough he got another 10* knocked off.

It works. He's very happy with the results.

John
Old 08-21-2002, 02:33 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

was that the only change you made or did you switch to a lower temp stat at the same time (or anything else for that matter)???

I'd love to believe that i could get a 20 deg drop in temps by drilling 4 tiny holes in my stat.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:21 PM
UDLUV12
Racer

Default Re: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested? (ralph)

Ralph,

Invest $10 and try it.
I couldn't believe it myself. I still can't for that matter.

I've owned this car all of its years, and all of its mileage (151K).
I've never been able to run my car in the highest of ambient temperatures,
and the engine temperature coolant not go above 185*...until "drilling those four little holes" (.200 inch diameter).

I recently added a Mini Ram II as you can see in my signature above, and I did add a 'new' 160* thermostat. The only difference being...the drilling of those four little holes.

No other changes were made, and my fan still 'turns on' at 180*...just as it always has since purchasing my 'chip' from TPIS back in 1996.

Why didn't I try this mod years ago? I keep asking myself this question over and over again.

I can remember walking into 'Pep Boys' about 2 months ago...saying to myself,..."I think I'll pick up two 160* thermostats today, and drill the four (4) holes that TPIS recommends in one of them, and see what it does for me...if anything."

If the numbers look worse because of the four drilled holes, I'll have my replacement on hand.

The 'numbers' have never looked better in all my '86's years.

John

Get notified of new replies

To How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested?

Quick Reply: How many Vette owners have done what TPIS has suggested?