C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Overheating after 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. It's not as bad as it sounds. Sure, it has put quite a strain on my life, but if I really had to, I could use my motorcycle. I just don't ride it that much, because my mom hates me being on it. My girlfriend and I are staying with her, in order to save up money to buy a house and I don't want to stress her out, worrying about me on it.
I didn't have a daily driver lined up, because the builder told me 5 weeks. Econo car? Never...lol...I made that mistake once...once. Plus, now I'm broke. All the money I was saving, went into the rebuild. It's just time and money, to get me back to where I want to be.
It's the first and last time I will ever let anyone else work on any of my vehicles. The only reason I did it, was because I needed the machine work done and have no garage to do the rest. I am very capable of doing anything to that car, and have, with a garage at home. My dad was a mechanic, for planes in the military, boats when I was very young, auto, most of my life, and school busses before his retirement. I grew up with it.
The two of us completely rebuilt everyting, with the exception of the short block and paint over the last 11years, until his passing about 2 years ago. That is why it means so much to me and will never get rid of it.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:57 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry for all that, and sorry you lost your Dad. I lost mine last month; he taught me a lot about a lot of things.

Update us, please, on what the machine shop tells you.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Default Update

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
So, the builder has had the vette back in his shop, for almost three weeks now. I am going to either call or go by at the three week mark, which will be Wednesday. I actually had it towed there three weeks ago today, but didn't get the keys to him until the following Tuesday. Hopefully he is close to having it fixed. More updates to come.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:07 AM
Bubba91
Pro

So, after my 5 month long ordeal, I finally am able to drive the vette again. Long story short, the builder put the intake manifold gaskets on backwards. He was too proud of his engine to believe anything was wrong with it. He just kept blaming the overheating on everything else. I ended up taking it to another shop , where they figured out the problem in two and a half hours and had the car back to me in three days.
There are still a lot of issues with it and good percentage of them caused by the builder, but it's back on the road now and I can move on from this nightmare.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found. Enjoy your car..

Quick Reply: 1991 Overheating after 383 build