C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 No Start - Knocking my head against the wall

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 92 No Start - Knocking my head against the wall

I have gremlins and need some help. I previously had a code 16 on an original GM opti. Ordered a vented Petris opti as a replacement. I installed the new opti (without installing waterpump, etc.) and it fired right up and ran. Turned it off and fired it again just to be sure. The car ran perfectly. Reinstalled waterpump, balancer, etc. and it does not fire up. I have spark at the coil and plugs, so I know the low and high side of the opti are functioning. I have checked ICM, coil and even put on a spare ECM, nothing. Turns over but No Start. Fuel pump is priming the system every time. I had the injectors ohm tested and flowed a month back. Lastly, compression is right on. What am I missing? Going
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

might have blown the fuse to the water sensor on the water pump
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM
mothersworry
Pro

I just check the fuse and it was not blown and the Low coolant light is functioning properly. Any other ideas?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

try shooting some starting fluid in it and see if she fires if so check your fuel pressure
Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mothersworry
I have gremlins and need some help. I previously had a code 16 on an original GM opti. Ordered a vented Petris opti as a replacement. I installed the new opti (without installing waterpump, etc.) and it fired right up and ran. Turned it off and fired it again just to be sure. The car ran perfectly. Reinstalled waterpump, balancer, etc. and it does not fire up. I have spark at the coil and plugs, so I know the low and high side of the opti are functioning. I have checked ICM, coil and even put on a spare ECM, nothing. Turns over but No Start. Fuel pump is priming the system every time. I had the injectors ohm tested and flowed a month back. Lastly, compression is right on. What am I missing? Going
Have you checked for any other codes?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Default Weak Spark

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
try shooting some starting fluid in it and see if she fires if so check your fuel pressure
I tried putting starting fluid in and it did not start. Pulled a plug and now getting a weak spark. Could this opti have gone bad between two starts and me installing the water pump?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:17 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I tried putting starting fluid in and it did not start. Pulled a plug and now getting a weak spark. Could this opti have gone bad between two starts and me installing the water pump?
yes but lets hope not. did all the wires click twice when installed and did you put dielectric grease 0n them or could you have knocked the pigtail loose?

run the code check

if you took it apart did you use red locktight on it?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-16-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

look at kimmers post optis suck
Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
yes but lets hope not. did all the wires click twice when installed and did you put dielectric grease 0n them or could you have knocked the pigtail loose?

run the code check

if you took it apart did you use red locktight on it?
Yes on the dielectric grease and clicks. I will check the pigtail now.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yes on the dielectric grease and clicks. I will check the pigtail now.
I am afraid your in kimmers boat.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Pigtail is seated fully. Code 16. Crazy thing is I have great spark at the coil.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Default Update

I determined no spark at coil anymore. There is a grey and black harness for the coil with a pink and black and white wire on each side of the connectors. Are both Pink and black hot with key on? The grey harness is hot with Key On on mine but the black has nothing on pink and black or white. Could this be my problem? Could only one side of the coil be getting signal?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I determined no spark at coil anymore. There is a grey and black harness for the coil with a pink and black and white wire on each side of the connectors. Are both Pink and black hot with key on? The grey harness is hot with Key On on mine but the black has nothing on pink and black or white. Could this be my problem? Could only one side of the coil be getting signal?
any codes?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

For F-Body but same wiring

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/
Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

If you want to know if your opti is toast or not, connect noid light to fuel injector number 1. While cranking, if no flash from noid light, opti is bad.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:50 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Fastest and safest way to check for spark is just a simple timing light. U can check your initial timing while your at it.

Code 16 is ign somewhere - low resolution pulse. Opti, ECM, ICM, ign sw? Weak spark would be a coil.

Well if u just worked on the opti then most likely it is the opti or the wiring. Aftermarket optis have a horrible reputation.

My sympathies after a lot of hard work u have another problem. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Problem Resolved and it was NOT the petris opti, the Petris Opti was perfect.

I tracked the issues to the stupid white wire almost at the ICM connector. The white wire, where it looped from the factory wire loom to ICM connector, had deteriorated. This was causing the start one minute and run perfectly and the next no spark condition.

I think I understand the cause as well. I removed the rubber factory coolant hoses in lieu of braided hose. The braided hose runs hotter and I believe the extra heat deteriorated the wire. This was the cause of all the funky codes. I used Diacom to clear codes and nothing is coming back and car runs perfectly.

I plan to wrap the braided lines in heat shield to avoid the extra heat and replace the entire connector.

Thanks to Chris Petris who gave me some great guidance on solving the issue!

Get notified of new replies

To 92 No Start - Knocking my head against the wall

Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

good deal
Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Anthony Jiggetts
1st Gear

Default 92 lt1 won't start

After getting car from transmission shop. My vette wouldn't start. We guessed it was the optispark due to having problems before going in trans shop. So I replaced the op and car still won't start what do I do now.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anthony Jiggetts
After getting car from transmission shop. My vette wouldn't start. We guessed it was the optispark due to having problems before going in trans shop. So I replaced the op and car still won't start what do I do now.
Best to start your own thread. Check for spark and fuel pressure and let us know as much info as you can. look on youtube to see how to get codes with a paperclip.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 03-30-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 No Start - Knocking my head against the wall