C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tuner cat is better then a scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default tuner cat is better then a scan tool?

i've readed some times here on forum, many of you have a scan tool...

I would purchase TUNER CAT, anyone has this software?

would ask you what's its purpose, if it makes everthing that a scan tool makes, and seems that it is better than a scan tool, cause i've understand that i can reprogram ECM

thx

chris
Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
i've readed some times here on forum, many of you have a scan tool...

I would purchase TUNER CAT, anyone has this software?

would ask you what's its purpose, if it makes everthing that a scan tool makes, and seems that it is better than a scan tool, cause i've understand that i can reprogram ECM

thx

chris
Datamaster is what you are looking for. you can data log. Record a 1/4 pull. There is a ET/Trap feature. Record from 2K - WOT and there is a DYNO feature. it also scans your trouble codes with a description.
you can also use the ST / LT auto find feature. To find where your AFR needs correcting. Then use CATS to Program.
I like CATS better then tuner PRO.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 09-29-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Datamaster is what you are looking for. you can data log. Record a 1/4 pull. There is a ET/Trap feature. Record from 2K - WOT and there is a DYNO feature. it also scans your trouble codes with a description.
you can also use the ST / LT auto find feature. To find where your AFR needs correcting. Then use CATS to Program.
I like CATS better then tuner PRO.
Seems that we are speaking about same thing

Did you mean datamaster from here?

http://www.tunercat.com

When i said " tunercat " i meant LT1 TUNING KIT PRO from they, that contains even datamaster

You too?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

CATS merged. And now they carry a complete line.
So yes, in there full combo kit. You get CATS tune, datamaster log,
A OBD1 & OBD2 y to USB cable. Depending on 92-93 LT1'
You still have A EEprom to de-solder.. purchase a burner and the CATS specific STS series EEproms. Or 94 - 95 LT1's CATS tune program staight to the Flash inside the PCM. One downside. If your programming is interrupted for any reason and stops. 1st stage erases the flash. Now you are in huge trouble. The flash is un-usable. The PCM would need to be taken apart. De-solder 2 flash chips. They are almost impossible to purchase.. Flash them with another programer with a base. To re-flash with CATS.
So there are 2 different LT1 kits..

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 09-29-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

CATS merged. And now they carry a complete line.
So yes, in there full combo kit. You get CATS tune, datamaster log,
A OBD1 & OBD2 y to USB cable. Depending on 92-93 LT1'
You still have A EEprom to de-solder.. purchase a burner and the CATS specific STS series EEproms. Or 94 - 95 LT1's CATS tune program staight to the Flash inside the PCM. One downside. If your programming is interrupted for any reason and stops. 1st stage erases the flash. Now you are in huge trouble. The flash is un-usable. The PCM would need to be taken apart. De-solder 2 flash chips. They are almost impossible to purchase.. Flash them with another programer with a base. To re-flash with CATS.
So there are 2 different LT1 kits..
Mmmm

I didn't think there were all these trouble using CATS...

MINE IS 1995

Any other software that is trouble free?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm

I didn't think there were all these trouble using CATS...

MINE IS 1995

Any other software that is trouble free?
I've been using Tuner CAT on my 1995 me since 2005 with no drama.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I've been using Tuner CAT on my 1995 me since 2005 with no drama.
Did you purchase other flashes?

Never been afraid about stop programming?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

I modified my main PCM. Soldered in a ZIF socket for both flash chips.
I can pop out the flash with ease.. I have 2 emergency spare flash, I purchased from one of the last sources. I also have a stationary setup with a power supply to program the PCM in my house. And yes. I'm always nervous. I was silly. Just last week. Data logging. And perfecting my tune. Flashed from my laptop. The battery went from 50% to Zero and turned OFF. The 1st stage erases the flash. I was stranded. I have 3 PCM's Currently modifying a 2nd one.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Assuming for a moment that someone don't replace flash and get a CATS session on vette.

At one moment programming is interrupted, at this point 1st stage erases flash

What excatly happen. Car will not run anymore?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:02 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Had Ed Wright emailing me tunes and a played with my shift poits

So yes I flashed new tunes on it many times
Old 10-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Had Ed Wright emailing me tunes and a played with my shift poits

So yes I flashed new tunes on it many times
I meant flash chips?

383 admiral said that i had soldered other chip...

Think he means
Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I modified my main PCM. Soldered in a ZIF socket for both flash chips.
I can pop out the flash with ease.. I have 2 emergency spare flash, I purchased from one of the last sources. I also have a stationary setup with a power supply to program the PCM in my house. And yes. I'm always nervous. I was silly. Just last week. Data logging. And perfecting my tune. Flashed from my laptop. The battery went from 50% to Zero and turned OFF. The 1st stage erases the flash. I was stranded. I have 3 PCM's Currently modifying a 2nd one.
so this "chip" can not be found anymore? Has anyone looked at the part number and looked for it thru some place like Digikey or some other place like them? I believe you as I have read this before but still wonder if this is totally true. Heck, I just bought a spare ECM of ebay for my car last month for tuning purposes. Is the ECM hard to get or is it just the chip?

If there is a will there is a way. I bet someone could make another ECM out of conventional eproms and it would work with our cars. Has to be possible. Just ones and zeros.

Last edited by chadk; 10-04-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:37 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

I remember that i've read on CATS web site that they advise to save OEM programming before to make a tune.

Isn't enough to stay in a safe area of work?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chadk
so this "chip" can not be found anymore? Has anyone looked at the part number and looked for it thru some place like Digikey or some other place like them? I believe you as I have read this before but still wonder if this is totally true. Heck, I just bought a spare ECM of ebay for my car last month for tuning purposes. Is the ECM hard to get or is it just the chip?

If there is a will there is a way. I bet someone could make another ECM out of conventional eproms and it would work with our cars. Has to be possible. Just ones and zeros.
Of Course we all looked at the PN: AN29c512 the PCM takes 2 of these 32 PLCC flash proms.
You can find 29c512 Flash.
to convert as you mentioned. you would need a 32 PLCC socket adapter to a 32 DIP socket. There are such adapters.

Saving your bin. Is pointless. I have multi copies of My Bin. Again 1st stage in the flash process it erases all data. If you loose connection. There is absolutely NO way to communicate with that PCM in this Stage. You must not flash as much as i do. loosing connection does happen or battery drain on the road using a PC. The cars dash itself sends out signals that could inter-fear.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-05-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Of Course we all looked at the PN: AN29c512 the PCM takes 2 of these 32 PLCC flash proms.
You can find 29c512 Flash.
to convert as you mentioned. you would need a 32 PLCC socket adapter to a 32 DIP socket. There are such adapters.

Saving your bin. Is pointless. I have multi copies of My Bin. Again 1st stage in the flash process it erases all data. If you loose connection. There is absolutely NO way to communicate with that PCM in this Stage. You must not flash as much as i do. loosing connection does happen or battery drain on the road using a PC. The cars dash itself sends out signals that could inter-fear.
Got it

Excuseme the question but this topic is a little bit complex for me

Datamaster as far as I understand, shouldn't makes problems, Don't you?
Its purpose is to monitors and records datas and as long as i'm not going to re-programming there's no that 1stage problem, am i right?

Is CATS tuning program the application that makes that trouble?

Last edited by Christi@n; 10-05-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Correct. Data master records/communicates data.
CATS programs data. Could create a problem.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Actually I want to get CATS and datamaster in order to check my idle.

If IAC counter is not properly stored, to re-learn it, Can i run through the 1stage erase trouble?AS far as I understand i would say yes, but i'm not sure what is tuning what's not

Thx 383

Get notified of new replies

To tuner cat is better then a scan tool?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

I just want to state for the record. I have never had an issue with CATS or when tuning the car IE flashing a new tune.

That being said one time while driving around datalogging with DATAMASTER, something happened to my laptop. It caused the car to die and I could not restart it. Finally I disconnected the battery let it sit a while and it restarted*. Since the vette is my daily driver I immediately purchased a spare PCM. (Now have a second PCM with my current tune installed on it and I ensure that my laptop wont go into sleep mode and has plenty of battery life while data logging)

Mike

*was not a five minute problem

Last edited by aboatguy; 10-06-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

I just want to state for the record. I have never had an issue with CATS or when tuning the car IE flashing a new tune.

That being said one time while driving around datalogging with DATAMASTER, something happened to my laptop. It caused the car to die and I could not restart it. Finally I disconnected the battery let it sit a while and it restarted*. Since the vette is my daily driver I immediately purchased a spare PCM. (Now have a second PCM with my current tune installed on it and I ensure that my laptop wont go into sleep mode and has plenty of battery life while data logging)

Mike

Thx for this

Fortunately was not a huge trouble seems, but a trap is always behind the corner using these applications.

However to get a spare pcm is a nice idea,
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Mike

Thx for this

Fortunately was not a huge trouble seems, but a trap is always behind the corner using these applications.

However to get a spare pcm is a nice idea,

Quick Reply: tuner cat is better then a scan tool?