C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is there a way to modify a 1987 targed solid painted to pto fit a 1995 model

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
charlescanthony
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a way to modify a 1987 targed solid painted to pto fit a 1995 model

As I understand mounting brackets are different I really don't want to modify windshield mount if possible would like to modify top itself or exchange with someone interested in doing so mine is a 1987 solid racer red color any suggestions without going to extensive work to modify body of car I just bought my first vet please help..thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

There are three different designs for the front roof mounting for the C4 targa tops: '84-'86E, '86L-'88, and '89-96. To modify the '87 roof to fit your '95 car, you'd need to remove the fiberglass panel from the aluminum frame. Definitely not practical!

Look for the correct roof for your car, if you are opposed to reworking the windshield header brackets (which is much more practical). If you've already got an acrylic top for your '95, I can understand why you wouldn't want to change your windshield header to fit the '87 fiberglass top.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by charlescanthony
As I understand mounting brackets are different I really don't want to modify windshield mount if possible would like to modify top itself or exchange with someone interested in doing so mine is a 1987 solid racer red color any suggestions without going to extensive work to modify body of car I just bought my first vet please help..thanks
Hi yes it can be done, you need the 87 windshield header brackets to bolt to your A pillar. The trim panel will need replacement also.

Below the targa roof panel years.

They are available from wrecking yards or ebay at times, Corvette Central only has the 88-96 header brackets.... perhaps its cheaper and easier to buy a roof for your year corvette, or upgrade to the more common readily available 89-96 targa.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
... perhaps its cheaper and easier to buy a roof for your year corvette....
That is what I was thinking.

If you sell your '87 top it should be about the same price as buying one to fit a '95.

Another place to watch is the Craigslist ads. In the last year or two I bought one solid top (fair condition) and two glass tops (both mint conditon) for a total of $500. You need to watch daily to find good deals on them because the good prices don't last long. They sell within a day or two.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

You certainly want a "current hardware" mount for your car. Every generation of targa offered improvements in latching for the C4. There's no way I'd go "back-wards".

The resale of the top you have may not equal the required cost of the later but I'd think it should come close. Certainly way more desirable.

You want to BUY and SELL local. These tops seldom ship without damage and recovering damage claims regardless of the shipper is generally not accomplished OR is very difficult and time consuming. I seen people mention 10 - 12 months.

Get notified of new replies

To is there a way to modify a 1987 targed solid painted to pto fit a 1995 model

Quick Reply: is there a way to modify a 1987 targed solid painted to pto fit a 1995 model