C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering wheel from a '85 in a '95?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:42 PM
HRG3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel from a '85 in a '95?

Hi gang:

(preamble) I appreciate your treating a newbie gently.

I'm looking at a '94 coupe today. I like everything about it but two things. One it's an automatic (I've never owned an auto in 48 years of driving)...two god I hate the way that steering wheel looks! I found (thank you all) the fellow who gave the instructions to get a Momo adapter in...cool. Other thoughts though...has anyone put the earlier wheel in? Has anyone looked into putting a C5 or C6 airbag wheel in? I know getting rid of the bag is not the safest thing to do...but good night Martha did Jerry Palmer really sign of on that design??

again thank you...
Rick
Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by HRG3
god I hate the way that steering wheel looks! ...did Jerry Palmer really sign of on that design??
I agree the '94-'96 steering wheels look

I'm sure any wheel from 84 up could be made to fit; they're all the same column platform. I agree eliminating the air bag isn't a great idea. What about a '90-'93 wheel?

A C6 wheel is on a completely different column...IDK if it would fit, and if it did, it certainly wouldn't blend the back side w/the column, very gracefully.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

The upper most "short shaft" of the column is splined differently. Prior to '90 with no SIR the wheel could be placed anywhere with disregard for indexing other than to make directional signal canceling etc to work. In '90 with the addition of SIR and the coil/clock-spring the upper shaft spline was changed to orientate the wheel, coil/clock-spring etc.

The length of the "short shaft" I'm not sure is similar/same OR if possibly you could use a different Saginaw upper shaft because you would need to defeat the "telescoping" function of the column.

If you had multiple columns side by side a talented column assembly person might be able to accomplish what you want. I've had both styles apart BUT NOT recently.

Theoretically you could use a mid to late '90s wheel from something other than a Corvette and use it with the SIR defeated. Some measuring of the hub diameters etc would be required.

Lose the SIR, do an after-market with a hub I would think the least expensive and offer the most of choice. You can't just defeat the driver SIR, you would lose both.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have done this almost 2 times..

First time.. 1991 dash in an 89, used the 89 column but the outer plastic and controls from the 91:

Second time, is in process.. I have taken 1990 and 1987 columns to make one for my 1990.. it could then take the 85-89 steering wheel AND have the telescopic feature

Or I can use an aftermarket steering wheel
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

^That actually looks really good, IMO. Nice work!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM
HRG3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earlier steering wheel in later C4

Tom:
Outstanding! That look just as cool as I hoped it would. Silly thing happened when I went to drive the '94 last Saturday, the car didn't have any electricity. Sales guy went to get the portable "jump-start" battery...cool...the positive terminal was actually broken off the battery. So I'm hoping to drive that one this coming weekend. Again thank you for the pictures and insights.

Rick
Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The upper most "short shaft" of the column is splined differently. Prior to '90 with no SIR the wheel could be placed anywhere with disregard for indexing other than to make directional signal canceling etc to work. In '90 with the addition of SIR and the coil/clock-spring the upper shaft spline was changed to orientate the wheel, coil/clock-spring etc.

The length of the "short shaft" I'm not sure is similar/same OR if possibly you could use a different Saginaw upper shaft because you would need to defeat the "telescoping" function of the column.

If you had multiple columns side by side a talented column assembly person might be able to accomplish what you want. I've had both styles apart BUT NOT recently.

Theoretically you could use a mid to late '90s wheel from something other than a Corvette and use it with the SIR defeated. Some measuring of the hub diameters etc would be required.

Lose the SIR, do an after-market with a hub I would think the least expensive and offer the most of choice. You can't just defeat the driver SIR, you would lose both.
I put an aftermarket steering wheel in my 93 earlier this year, but it is for an 80s non-vats column.

If I'm thinking of the correct part you're calling the short shaft it is about 3/4" longer for vats. The tilt housing is also longer, and about a 1/2" bigger in diameter. Some aftermarket wheels will leave an a gap here because of this.

For my install I got a replacement shorter upper tilt shaft, tilt housing, and non-vats ignition cylinder.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel from a '85 in a '95?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel from a '85 in a '95?