C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

have a question about fuel tank baffle asap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Default have a question about fuel tank baffle asap

Ok I have my fuel pump out and found the baffle just sitting on the bottom of the tank. Where should it be?
Old 11-14-2015, 04:01 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

your fuel pump sock will sit in it
Old 11-14-2015, 08:10 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Any way to reattach it?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by kimmer
Any way to reattach it?
I believe they are glued. I found a thread where a guy put pvc pipe around the pump.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-14-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Fuel pickup baffle

Why do you have your fuel pump out?

I had a problem that my 93 vert would stumble when cornering on a 1/4 tank of gas. Others said that the baffle (little tray) had probably come unattached from the bottom of the tank, and that its purpose was to keep the pickup submerged in gas to prevent starvation when cornering.

Their solution was to cut a Lucas gear oil bottle in half and puncture the bottom and fasten it to the fuel pickup.

(Are you having these fuel starvation issues??)

So I took out the fuel pump to see what was at the bottom of my tank, and lo and behold, the little tray was still properly attached.
So, if you have starvation issues, putting in the modified Lucas Gear oil bottle may solve it. do a search on this forum for the whole thread.

Hope this helps. (I still have the cornering-starvation issue!)
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Baffle

Here's a post on this topic:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-throttle.html

go to post 11.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2015, 12:42 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

I took it out to change the old sock and glad I did, it was brittle and half the size of the correct part. Now the fuel starvation, I would get this autoxing if I had less than 1/3 of a tank so I would make sure my tank was full before hand. The baffle broke loose so for the time being I took it out.

Last edited by kimmer; 11-15-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Here's a thread with a snapshot by Cliff. I mentioned how the early GM trucks were secured in the same thread. Can you feel the rivets that secured it originally like I mentioned in that thread? If you can feel the studs then perhaps the 1/8" push-nut would repair.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html
Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

the plastic tray in the bottom of the tank is next to useless, but would help some if you were really low on fuel and trying to get to a gas station.
I have spent some time trying to overcome fuel starvation in my car, one thing I found is that the pump and sock actually sit at a 45 degree angle in the tank. when you have your assembly out have a close look at how it sits in the tank. This angle actually points the sock out of the tray.
Any way I have used a piece of 3" PVC pipe around the pump and it works perfectly.
The PVC has been in the tank most of this year and there has been no deterioration of the plastic, I checked it before my last hillclimb meet a week ago.
Probably a much easier fix than trying to re-secure that tray.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Ok I have my fuel pump out and found the baffle just sitting on the bottom of the tank. Where should it be?
Hi

Adhesives don't work submerged in fuel, I ended up using cable ties and a few small holes in the baffle. Cable tied the baffle to the fuel pump sender assembly and it works great, bit tricky to get in and out the tank but I am happy.

There are two ridges in the tank, that the baffle sits between.

As others have mentioned an old oil bottle should do, I do like blackozvette's solution.

You know the old saying, necessity is the mother of all inventions

Last edited by gerardvg; 11-16-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

I thank all of you for your replies and I now know how to deal with it. Thank's again all.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What did you end up doing? I use fuel tank foam but still have to have at least 5gal in the tank. I was thinking I would like to get one of those Holley Hydra Mats but I can't get the sump(baffle) loose. I tried to pull on it before and thought I was at risk of pulling through and having holes in the bottom of the tank.

I bet you could get that hydra mat and fuel tank foam and run as little as 2gal in the tank
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM
jlfx car audio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by l98tpi
What did you end up doing? I use fuel tank foam but still have to have at least 5gal in the tank. I was thinking I would like to get one of those Holley Hydra Mats but I can't get the sump(baffle) loose. I tried to pull on it before and thought I was at risk of pulling through and having holes in the bottom of the tank.

I bet you could get that hydra mat and fuel tank foam and run as little as 2gal in the tank
anyone tried the hydromat installed in-tank pump like the sock? most come with some type of threaded fitting. mine is doing it @ 3/4 -1/2 tank during ax when in throttle hard . fuel pressure is dropping.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
anyone tried the hydromat installed in-tank pump like the sock? most come with some type of threaded fitting. mine is doing it @ 3/4 -1/2 tank during ax when in throttle hard . fuel pressure is dropping.
I have not used it but have heard good things. I would check your fuel filter and leaky pulsater first or someone replaced it with the wrong type of hose.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 AM
jlfx car audio
Instructor

Negative ghost Rider. It's tank related only in corners with right then left only. Left then right it don't do it.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM
jlfx car audio
Instructor

Strait line 11ish sec passes does fine. Holds 49psi (upgraded pump/ adjustable fpr)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

tagging for later
Old 12-27-2018, 11:48 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

cvg323 asked for an update, here's a couple more pics,

after checking the pvc after a year in the tank , the only adverse effect it had was to shrink slightly. it went from being 3" to being slightly under (it would fit into an original piece of the pipe) see pic below.

I wasnt sure if the PVC would continue to shrink so I made an alloy shroud.
in the pic below you can see it compared to the pvc one - this is the mark 1 version, I bent out the ends to protect the fuel sock more, but had issues getting it into and out of the tank hole, so had to make another one, more of the original 3" round and less of the bent out.

The shroud works well, the alloy one has been in there the last 3 years without issue. The hydromats are quite expensive and would require removing the plastic tray to work in a c4 tank.
It provides a barrier to the base of the pump where the sock connects to stop the fuel being pulled away during hard cornering. the 3" size is the maximum you can use and still squeeze into the plastic tray.
I did try fuel foam, but that swinging fuel gauge arm and float doesnt like it !

Get notified of new replies

To have a question about fuel tank baffle asap

Quick Reply: have a question about fuel tank baffle asap