C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Okay how do I tighten a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For those who don't know, the reason to measure bolt lengths after over-tightening is that bolt clamping force comes not from friction but mainly from length-wise stretching of the bolts. Picture unwinding the spiral of the bolt into a narrow diagonal ramp, and then jamming that ramp into a diagonal hole that's a little less sloped. It's going to stretch out like a spring, which you want for clamping force, but not too much or you reach the plasticity limit of the material and it deforms permanently and loses clamping.

The sealant on the bolts was still wet, I used what little I had left in the squeeze tube on the ones I took all the way out to measure length but for the rest I just untorqued and torqued without unscrewing all the way, hoping that the wet sealant continues to block the threads.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
I just untorqued and torqued without unscrewing all the way,
I hope you don't regret not replacing those damaged bolts. They may be difficult to remove in the future, if you need to work on the engine at some future date.

Quick Reply: Okay how do I tighten a bolt