C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Valve cover with super ram and 1.6 rocker rollers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM
TQM3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover with super ram and 1.6 rocker rollers

What has been everyone's experience with valve covers that will fit with the super ram with 1.6 roller rockers. I have the manifold installed now with stock rockers, but in the future I'm building a 383. Losing the wiper motor is not an option for me. Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by TQM3
What has been everyone's experience with valve covers that will fit with the super ram with 1.6 roller rockers. I have the manifold installed now with stock rockers, but in the future I'm building a 383. Losing the wiper motor is not an option for me. Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas!
What valve covers are you thinking of? IIRC, there are 2 versions. Pre 87 was perimeter bolt and post 87 was center bolt. I might have gotten the years mixed but from my experience, center bolt works. You just have to cut off the drip tabs. I also use Crane Gold roller rockers which are supposed to be a little bit more narrow.. I have even used tall valve covers but it make fitment a little more difficult.

Any reason stock valve covers won't work for you?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

I used stock covers from my 85 on the ZZ4 with SuperRam and 1.6 RR. This is what I did....first grind off the drip tabs. Next find the tallest VC gasket you can. With the 5.34 lift (LPE 74211 cam) on the exhaust, I sanded down the top corner on the aluminum RR to a 45 degree removing about 1/8" on the corner. This gave me clearance on the stock covers.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:16 PM
TQM3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stocks ones will work. I'm gathering parts for a engine build next year And trying to get educated . If have not bought heads yet, and trying not to make any un-nessary dumb mistakes. I prefer center bolt style valve cover heads. Thanks for the response.
Originally Posted by aklim
What valve covers are you thinking of? IIRC, there are 2 versions. Pre 87 was perimeter bolt and post 87 was center bolt. I might have gotten the years mixed but from my experience, center bolt works. You just have to cut off the drip tabs. I also use Crane Gold roller rockers which are supposed to be a little bit more narrow.. I have even used tall valve covers but it make fitment a little more difficult.

Any reason stock valve covers won't work for you?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

stock 85's work, also you can get thicker gaskets too which helps

Signed, Ghost of LD85 passssstttt
Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by TQM3
Stocks ones will work. I'm gathering parts for a engine build next year And trying to get educated . If have not bought heads yet, and trying not to make any un-nessary dumb mistakes. I prefer center bolt style valve cover heads. Thanks for the response.
If you want you can start the drip tabs. It won't hurt anything and you get a peek under the skirt, so to speak. And if you wreck it, you have time to get a new set.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 85 I was able to remove the drip tabs from the stock valve covers and install Comp Cams 1.6:1 full roller NSA aluminum roller rockers.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve cover with super ram and 1.6 rocker rollers

Quick Reply: Valve cover with super ram and 1.6 rocker rollers