C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:05 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months?

ive been using 3-m hand glaze but cant wait to wax it. why is it bad to wax new paint? :confused: sept 17 is the first day i can wax it! :D
Old 08-29-2002, 05:07 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought most automotive paints had a catalyst in them now so that they are cured by the time you get them. No huh?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:09 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: (scorp508)

I thought most automotive paints had a catalyst in them now so that they are cured by the time you get them. No huh?
:confused: i dont know???? im just going on what the paint shop told me. ive waxed plenty of cars with new paint but they were for sale! :eek:
Old 08-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

Are you really going to wax it or is it something like Zaino?

A traditional wax actually removes a very small amount of paint from the surface, thus the reason you don't want to "wax" a clear coat finish.

Zaino is a polish and doesn't remove anything. Anything that claims it is safe for clear coats is not a wax in the traditional sense.

You might talk to them and see what they say about the "wax" you were going to use.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:16 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (Nathan Plemons)

Are you really going to wax it or is it something like Zaino?

A traditional wax actually removes a very small amount of paint from the surface, thus the reason you don't want to "wax" a clear coat finish.

Zaino is a polish and doesn't remove anything. Anything that claims it is safe for clear coats is not a wax in the traditional sense.

You might talk to them and see what they say about the "wax" you were going to use.
i have tried all types of waxes (use to own a detail shop) & plan on using collinite (boat wax) asap! i do want to try ziano but when i use collinite (3 coats) it made my ugly paint look show quality! :yesnod:
Old 08-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Ericthewolf
Burning Brakes

ZAINO trust me on this one you won't be dissapointed. You'll never go back to wax again..
Old 08-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Cooter
Instructor

Default Re: (scorp508)

Wax is petroleum based and the solvents could attack the paint unless it has had time to fully cure. Most of the base/clear paints can be waxed in a few weeks, but I'd still go by what the painter says.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason being is the paint is gassing off. Thinners are evaporating out of the paint. What will happen if you put a wax on it now? Your clear coat will fog up on you. Trust me on this one!! I am a painter..
Old 08-29-2002, 07:11 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (corvette0096)

The reason being is the paint is gassing off. Thinners are evaporating out of the paint. What will happen if you put a wax on it now? Your clear coat will fog up on you. Trust me on this one!! I am a painter..
thanks for the answer. should i wait longer than 60 days? i already wet sanded/buffed it? thanks in advance. :cheers:
Old 08-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i already wet sanded/buffed it? thanks in advance. :cheers: [/QUOTE]

The wet sanding and buffing is ok to do after a couple days of having the car painted. The paint is easier to work with then. "softer" You can polish it right away as long as there is no silicone in the polish. If the car was mine I would wax it. :cheers:
Old 08-29-2002, 07:45 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (Ericthewolf)

ZAINO trust me on this one you won't be dissapointed. You'll never go back to wax again..
I TRIED to tell you Eric! ;) It's good stuff man. We have new paint...it won't make them any GLOSSIER...just insures that it STAYS that way...and there is no wax. It protects the finish nicely. Mine was in the rain all day and the water sheets right off. I know you drove yours today right? :lol: :jester
Old 08-29-2002, 07:54 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (corvette0096)

The reason being is the paint is gassing off. Thinners are evaporating out of the paint. What will happen if you put a wax on it now? Your clear coat will fog up on you.

From what my painter tells me, even though these new paints are a thousand times better than what they used in the 80's, you should wait about 3-4 mos. to put wax on a new paint job. The paint needs time to fully cure.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 PM
keekster
Racer

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (JD 90 383)

What number Ziano wax are you all using for Red painted 92 ?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:48 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (keekster)

Your not supposed to Wax/Polish or anything but wash you paint for 6MONTHS after a new paint job.... You need to allow the paint to fully cure over this time... The wax and Zaino doesnt allow this process to finish.... 6 months seems like a long time, but just wash it till then.... It will look just fine....... when the time is up, hit it with some Zaino
Old 08-29-2002, 10:51 PM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

As an ex-car painter, I can say that in the old days, before catalyzed paint, there were two schools of thought. Some people thought that wax would seal the surface and the paint would never dry because the solvents couldn't evaporate. This was kinda dumb because I don't know of any wax that would hold up to those types of solvents.

The other school felt that if the paint was waxed early, the carnuba and other compounds in the wax would imbed themselves deeper into the paint and make for a better, longer lasting shine over the years.

Nowadays, with this catalyzed paint that requires no thinner or reducing agents of any kind, I see no reason to wait more than a few days before you can color sand, polish and wax any color paint.

BIG JIM
Old 08-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (StealDads67)

Your not supposed to Wax/Polish or anything but wash you paint for 6MONTHS after a new paint job.... You need to allow the paint to fully cure over this time... The wax and Zaino doesnt allow this process to finish.... 6 months seems like a long time, but just wash it till then.... It will look just fine....... when the time is up, hit it with some Zaino
6 Months is a little excessive...it really depends on weather...here in AZ you can pretty easily wax paint after about 3 weeks without an issue. If you are up north, during the winter than you should wait longet because it will take longer for the paint to fully harden.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:39 AM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (Zix)

6 months sounds excessive to me too..... but thats what Mothers Car Wax says you should wait before you apply there product.... I usually hear 3 months or so...... I dont know..... Whatever

Get notified of new replies

To why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months?

Old 08-30-2002, 02:19 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

I would like to add my 2cents.Before catalyzed paints ,enamels were used and they dried much slower ,so this would be true.I mainly do restoration work so when im done painting the car it is usually at my shop for at least a month .I wax them before they leave and have never heard any complaints.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:02 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months? (paintdaddy)

I wait about one month before wax. It typically doesnt need it any way how good can wetsanded and polished paint look? The shops tell you to wait to protect themselves from cars coming back. Ive painted then sanded and buffed the next day. I put wax on in a month cause im impatient but its worked out well for me. :cheers:
Old 08-30-2002, 10:09 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

I just waxed my new paint. Waited the 30 days to do it. Used Meguires polish and wax. I will let you all know if things turn ugly, but I expect that it will be fine. Weather where I live is pretty warm. 90 degrees or better most days.

Quick Reply: why cant i wax my new paint for 2 months?