C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 10:13 PM

Default Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this?

i finially installed a AFPR today on my 87, only problem is with it set to its max pressure all i can get is 46lbs?? i know thats not to far from my desired pressure but i think its wierd that with it turned all the way up that is all i can get out of it, the reg is rated with a adjustment range from 30- 60psi...im thinking its the tired orig fuel pump that is either clogging or just worn out and cant deliver the pressure anymore?? anyone else think the same? the fuel filter is new and not clogged????time for a new pump? with the only big mods being a hot cam and 24lb injectors is a sock replacment pump enuff or should i upgrade to a walboro high volume pump?........thx
Old 08-30-2002, 11:40 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this? (Kamarossrs)

With 24# injectors and your mods you likely don't want over 46psi but the pump should deliver enough flow for well over 50psi.

That will be enough to fuel over 350hp.

Of course you might want to check FP with another gauge just to be sure.

[Modified by 65Z01, 9:41 PM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 02:41 AM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this? (Kamarossrs)

Yeah it should be able to go much higher than that. Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
Old 08-31-2002, 08:38 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Take off the gas filler door to get at the gas tank sending unit. You'll be able to pinch off the return line. Slap a set of vice grips on the rubber return line and see how high the fuel pressure goes. You should be able to get 75 + psi. If you don't, you need a new pump. It's getting weak.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this? (SloRvette)

Well i replaced the pump today with a stock replacement (autozone) and also replaced the filter,,,the pressure is now up slightly to 48lbs,,,,,i know that that is more pressure then i want to be running, but it still bothers me that the reg is at the max setting, there must be a problem somewhere unless that is all a stock pump can put out? anyone know what their readings were when a AFPR was added with a stock pump? tomorrow im going to make sure there is good volatge at the pump.............
Old 08-31-2002, 09:37 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an expert with fuel pumps by any means, but I went with a Buick T-Type fuel pump. I can easily get over 50 psi without trying. In fact, since the adjustable bolt hit the upper plenum when I had it all the way out, the lowest I could get it for a while was arounf 46 PSI.

Are you testing with the vac line connected or disconnected??

Edit-The Buick T-Type pump barely puts out more flow than a stock Vette pump, so IOW, I would expect you should be able to get some of the same results. Good luck, -Matt-

[Modified by HighHopes85, 7:39 PM 8/31/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this? (HighHopes85)

hey, testing was done with vac line off and capped, the only thing i can come up with now is maybe the voltage is low? i am also gonna install the sending unit for the elec gauge so i can see what it drops to at WOT...............
Old 08-31-2002, 10:42 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn... When I uncork my Adj. FPS i can get it to 80PSI..
The lowest it will go is 42psi (thats what Im at now, and still
run rich).
I jsut replaced the fuel pump last year with an autozone stocker, and works perfect. Also replaced my inline fuel filter the same time..
Mayeb yours is clogged or soemthing?

Get notified of new replies

To Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this?

Quick Reply: Wierd fuel pressure problem? anyone else ever have this?