C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 idle - do I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:45 AM
JDWH
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 idle - do I have a problem?

Howdy,

My 93 base coupe has a "lope" or a "miss" at idle. Seems to run fine and accelerate off-idle just fine. Is that "lope" normal for this motor?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JDWH
Howdy,

My 93 base coupe has a "lope" or a "miss" at idle. Seems to run fine and accelerate off-idle just fine. Is that "lope" normal for this motor?

Thanks,

Jim
No, that's not normal. Do you know if it has the stock cam? What is your RPM at idle? Have you checked for any trouble codes?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
JDWH
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
No, that's not normal. Do you know if it has the stock cam? What is your RPM at idle? Have you checked for any trouble codes?
Thank you for your response. Shoot- I was hoping it was normal because I am tired of fixing things, LOL.

I don't know what cam it has, and to be honest I am not sure what the idle speed is - it doesn't seem to be too high or low as it idles and goes into gear fine (auto trans). I will have to check that and see if there are any trouble codes.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Look at the wires in a real dark area to see if you can see and sparking to ground. Sounds like in might be a cylinder not firing well possibly due to a plug. I would use normal procedures to isolate the bad cylinder and then go from there. Plug, injector, compression test.

Also take a quick look at the EGR to see of the plunger is moving smoothly and all the way to seal correctly.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Look at the wires in a real dark area to see if you can see and sparking to ground. Sounds like in might be a cylinder not firing well possibly due to a plug. I would use normal procedures to isolate the bad cylinder and then go from there. Plug, injector, compression test.

Also take a quick look at the EGR to see of the plunger is moving smoothly and all the way to seal correctly.
Can you see the sparking? Mine never did until I sprayed a fine water mist AROUND, not at, AROUND the wires and boots. Dry it was fine but had a little miss sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 idle - do I have a problem?

Quick Reply: 1993 idle - do I have a problem?