C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mailed to ZF.com about tranny fluid their response here

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Ah ah ah
ha ha funny guys.

bronze is 88% copper 😛
Old 02-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ha ha funny guys.

bronze is 88% copper 😛
Really?....

Just wait a minute make a search on web.........

You right is made.for the biggest part of copper...
Never known
Old 02-14-2016, 08:54 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

i want to 'echo' the sentiment towards amsoil.

my picky transmission likes that stuff the best.

again, i had all the issues with notchy shifting And gear shift lever physicslly wouldnt move into next gear at high rpm shifts with castrol.

when i described this condition to bill at zfdoc he recommended a rebuild, at a cost of thousands.

when i put amsoil in (and also successfully tried gm syncromesh)all the problems went away.

theres a real cult like following of the bmw engine motor oil-in-zf transmissions

you either love it or hate it.

its been suggested even that my transmission is a 'POS' because it doesnt like the bmw castrol 10w-60 engine motor oil.

unless it 'done blow up', im not gonna run out and replace it when everything runs smoothly with the amsoil.

i say put bmw engine motor oil in your bmw engine and transmission fluid in your transmission.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-14-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:38 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

again, i had all the issues with notchy shifting And gear shift lever physicslly wouldnt move into next gear at high rpm shifts with castrol.

when i described this condition to bill at zfdoc he recommended a rebuild, at a cost of thousands.

when i put amsoil in (and also successfully tried gm syncromesh)all the problems went away.

theres a real cult like following of the bmw engine motor oil-in-zf transmissions

its been suggested even that my transmission is a 'POS' because it doesnt like the bmw castrol 10w-60 engine motor oil.

unless it 'done blow up', im not gonna run out and replace it when everything runs smoothly with the amsoil.

i say put bmw engine motor oil in your bmw engine and transmission fluid in your transmission.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

About copper flecks...

No kidding now, speaking about it here on forum I remembering that i've found a little of copper flecks last time i've made oil tranny change....

Supposed to be ok if just a little or No ok? Bad transmission? I guess it is cames from blocker ring but...
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM
pifo1964
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Change tranny fluid or not?

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Ironically, this was true in my older black tag 89....It's been so long I'd forgotten about the OCCASIONALLY resistance going to 2nd. I went from GM to Amsoil to Castro and back to Amsoil (twice). The Amsoil is the only one that provides "perfect" shifting.

The other thing to mention is age. Owner's manuals don't necessarily say you EVER need to change tranny fluid in ZF6's. That was something found as bad advice from GM. Theoretically, I suppose it will "work" but you can leave your best shifting behind -- if you never give your lube a renewal.

The theory is trans lube isn't contaminated by carbon/dirt -- like it is in engines. As such, it may LOOK just as new/clean after years of use. But, in truth, additives break down over time and you lose some of the lube's intended "performance". ZFDoc has confirmed this in timed interval testing. If you still aren't convinced and have old/original ZF fluid, try swapping it from some new Amsoil. You'll see.
My 93 has 12k miles and for sure still has the factory tranny fluid. It shifts smooth with no problems either cool or warm and as owner manual says not to change the fluid, I didn't touch it.
Now, reading this thread I'm wondering if I should change the fluid. The current one looks good.
The problem is that here there is no Amsoil or similar, the only "recomended stuff" I can find is the Castrol oil.
There are lots of 75 or 80W90 oils, either for manual gearboxes or differentials with limited slip, but I don't feel comfortable changing the original to one of those.
I can put the 10W60 but the feedback here is not the best.....
My ZF shifts realy nice and smooth, but, what should I do? keep the original fluid (for now)? Or switch to Castrol?
Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by pifo1964
My 93 has 12k miles and for sure still has the factory tranny fluid. It shifts smooth with no problems either cool or warm and as owner manual says not to change the fluid, I didn't touch it.
Now, reading this thread I'm wondering if I should change the fluid. The current one looks good.
The problem is that here there is no Amsoil or similar, the only "recomended stuff" I can find is the Castrol oil.
There are lots of 75 or 80W90 oils, either for manual gearboxes or differentials with limited slip, but I don't feel comfortable changing the original to one of those.
I can put the 10W60 but the feedback here is not the best.....
My ZF shifts realy nice and smooth, but, what should I do? keep the original fluid (for now)? Or switch to Castrol?
Thanks!!
You should in my opinion but it's up to you. Anything about REDLINE MTL down there?

Last edited by Christi@n; 02-14-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 PM
pifo1964
Instructor

You should in my opinion but it's up to you. Anything about REDLINE MTL down there?
No.
Castol, Motul, Cepsa, Mobil, Liqui Moly, Total and a couple of more brands are the best you can find here, but even, most of them do not have a complete line.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

There's a Redline dealer on Buenos Aires. Could you get fluid from it?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Also according to motul.it, motul develop a fluids for ZF.

They are

MOTYLGEAR 75W90
GEAR 300 75W90

Both for manual trans
The following users liked this post:
pifo1964 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 12:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

They are

MOTYLGEAR 75W90
GEAR 300 75W90

Both for manual trans
These are NOT ZF S6-40 lubricants.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:58 PM
pifo1964
Instructor

They are

MOTYLGEAR 75W90
GEAR 300 75W90

Both for manual trans
Probably I can get the Redline in BA, I travel there frecuently.
About the Motul fluids, that was I was talking about. Wasn't sure tu use that viscosity, but I can give a try. I will call them tomorrow to ask if they have what you recomend.
Thanks again Christian!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
These are from motul application guide why you say not??
Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Probably I can get the Redline in BA, I travel there frecuently.
About the Motul fluids, that was I was talking about. Wasn't sure tu use that viscosity, but I can give a try. I will call them tomorrow to ask if they have what you recomend.
Thanks again Christian!
If you worried about viscosity, even redline mtl is 75w80. But don't worry, it's the right oil weight, cause the are two or more ways to measure oil weight. Take a look here
Attached Images  
pifo1964 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 01:08 PM
pifo1964
Instructor

You recommend not using them?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You recommend not using them?
You actually need to take the OE/GM spec to Motul directly and ask. They don't directly compare their product to the ZF specs and regardless of what any other "branding" says or mentions Motul doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised that if you actually supplied them with the spec they might actually have another product that they might recommend. Ask them to compare to specs for 5W30 or maybe directly to this Redline published spec:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

or to this Amsoil spec:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

They actually could reply favorably to the product mentioned but until they did their TDS doesn't seem to confirm it.

Lubricants have certainly changed in the last 20 years so I don't believe there's an "argument" that could be said substantial enough to be "cut in stone". Motul I'd say certainly should have a product that will satisfy the needs.
pifo1964 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You aren't looking hard enough! (Or at all).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-members.html

There's also an Amsoil website where you can order. IIRC, they also list dealers in your vicinity. You'll find them to be local "reps" like the Amway door-to-door model. (No relationship in business AFAIK.)

One time, the rep delivered to my door. The other time, I went and picked some up at a guy's home. Or...as mentioned above, you can order it from many people/places. They just don't sell it in stores.

Odd, but true. It's the one thing I'm not cray about with this company. I suspect it follows the model of pyramid schemes -- though the product's value can not be dismissed.

Get notified of new replies

To Mailed to ZF.com about tranny fluid their response here

Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

You actually need to take the OE/GM spec to Motul directly and ask. They don't directly compare their product to the ZF specs and regardless of what any other "branding" says or mentions Motul doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised that if you actually supplied them with the spec they might actually have another product that they might recommend. Ask them to compare to specs for 5W30 or maybe directly to this Redline published spec:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

or to this Amsoil spec:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

They actually could reply favorably to the product mentioned but until they did their TDS doesn't seem to confirm it.

Lubricants have certainly changed in the last 20 years so I don't believe there's an "argument" that could be said substantial enough to be "cut in stone". Motul I'd say certainly should have a product that will satisfy the needs.
I've sern motul.com of usa not displays the application guide... Instead motul.it displays it, if i lookup vehicle corvette 1995 these two fluid is what motul reccomend me
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I've sern motul.com of usa not displays the application guide... Instead motul.it displays it, if i lookup vehicle corvette 1995 these two fluid is what motul reccomend me

Motul.it recommends the same for any Corvette in the application guide regardless of choice for me. The guide groups all Corvette '83 - '04 in a group with the only change in spec being the engine, all MT transmission selections remain consistent (4/1) in the guide with no reference to a (6/1) with any C4 engine selection, when you change to an LS '97+ then there's a choice for (6/1) lubricants. I said/suggested a call - I still do

Use the guide selecting '85 - '91 when both transmissions were used '85 - '88 (4+3), '89 - '91 (M6) and there's no variance in the "MANUAL" lubricants selection - "Manual 4/1" for all.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-15-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Motul.it recommends the same for any Corvette in the application guide regardless of choice for me. The guide groups all Corvette '83 - '04 in a group with the only change in spec being the engine, all MT transmission selections remain consistent (4/1) in the guide with no reference to a (6/1) with any C4 engine selection, when you change to an LS '97+ then there's a choice for (6/1) lubricants. I said/suggested a call - I still do

Use the guide selecting '85 - '91 when both transmissions were used '85 - '88 (4+3), '89 - '91 (M6) and there's no variance in the "MANUAL" lubricants selection - "Manual 4/1" for all.
A call or e mail is always a good idea

However motul.it doesnt reccomend the same for any year from '83 to '04.

First you choose '83 - '04 then you need to choose again...and there are a lot of fluids reccomended...

Last edited by Christi@n; 02-15-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Mailed to ZF.com about tranny fluid their response here