C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

why dont Any aftermarket companies make a lightweight awd conversion for c4???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default why dont Any aftermarket companies make a lightweight awd conversion for c4???

the Aftermarket needs to step up their game And make an awd conversion kit for c4 vette.

and im not talkin about some 600 lb weight Adder to make it a pig like gt-r

rather a carbon fiber and titanium awd drivetrain that adds no more than 50 lbs weight.

we put people on the moon so this should be able to happen not sure whay it hasnt yet.

need this more than solid axle conversion -abominations
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Because it would be hard to do long smoky burnouts.
Save the awd crap for the euro cars.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Me think your reading to many Bugatti magazines.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
the Aftermarket needs to step up their game And make an awd conversion kit for c4 vette.

rather a carbon fiber and titanium awd drivetrain that adds no more than 50 lbs weight.

we put people on the moon so this should be able to happen not sure whay it hasnt yet.

For a guy who's worked on C4's as much as you supposedly have, the answer should be self evident.

First, there's no market for it. No one would pay what their car is worth, just to add AWD.

Second, the crank shaft, oil pan, and harmonic damper occupy the space that the front diff would want to occupy. Can't have two parts in the same space. Engine would either need to go back about 8", or up 6" to allow space for a diff and axle shafts.

Not worth it.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I agree. Why don't you be the first to commission it and patten an "answer"? Put your money where your mouth is and once we see it, I'l bet the money keeps rolling in.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

easy there guys!

i think the 2 biggest roadblocks havd both been mentioned, constraints on the physical shape/size and that the c4's are at the bottom of thier depreciation cycles which makes them cheap to acquire and the market would be small for said conversion.

cheers and if u have more ideas i want to hear them!
The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Can't have two parts in the same space. Engine would either need to go back about 8", or up 6" to allow space for a diff and axle shafts.
How sure are you about the 8" back?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:59 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

were you around in the era of bald turbo freak?

Also you are high as a kite with this nonsense weight numbers. 50#

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/ho...e-71-chevelle/

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 03-29-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

It's an interesting concept, and do-able with enough time and money,

this 260z hillclimb car is a small block chev with AWD, and its seriously FAST !

Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

With my driveway Id kill for awd in my vette. But I don't see it happening with the clearances needed to get it in there without some serious work.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Because Diz, you would have to swap in an LS1 with coil packs to help recoup some of the weight savings lost. You of all people should know this. Then they might fail one at a time and you'll have to replace them all one by one!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

simple economics - design and development costs would be through the roof, manufacturing and production costs would be through the roof, marketing costs would be through the roof, cost of buying a retrofit kit would be probably more than the worth of any C4 out there, labor costs would be through the roof - most likely 99% of C4 owners would not be capable of making such a conversion. supply and demand - a warehouse full of kits, and only one C4 owner having a demand - . in a nutshell, pretty much a pipe dream. it's not a practical, or realistic idea - easier said than done! my suggestion, if you want a super fast AWD, it most likely would be cheaper to buy a new GT-R -

Last edited by Joe C; 03-29-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
were you around in the era of bald turbo freak?

Also you are high as a kite with this nonsense weight numbers. 50#

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/ho...e-71-chevelle/
its possible to do it...at least for a manual trans (or hopefully a duAl clutch automTed manual - which the aftermarket also needs to step up to the plate with)..

heres how i would do it:

the zf is an unbelievable heavy transmission. there is no reAson it needs to be as heavy as it is....

we already know the zf comes with a 40 lb 'useless-extra-mass' flywheel which is better suited as a boat anchor. so thats 28 lbs easy right there.

next. the zf is 'overbuilt'. which is good if you are making a 1200 rwhp blown turbo car - but we are not.

so some mass can be taken out and with better metallurgy (titanium and high strength steel), i still believe one could achieve similar levels of durAbility. so i think you could drop 25 lbs easily from the transmission.

next you need a front transfer case. make it out of magnesium. titanium parts inside, carbon fiber driveshafts all the way around and you got it.

i would love it if someone came up with a conversion like this so one could rub it in the faces of all the c6/7's that think they have such a superior car. the same people that insult, degrade, and prejudice c4 owners daily on places like CFOT.

this would be a way to say 'guess the c7 isnt so superior after all (ie. no Awd platform - and even if it did it would be pig heavy).

next, the aftermarket needs to come aboard with a dual clutch smg style automated manual gearbox with launch mode.

the combination of these 2, in a blown c4, would make it a better car than any ferrari or lambo.

just need the aftermarket to get its act together and stop dckin' around with failure prone chinese optispark replacement parts.

give us something we want
Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

its possible to do it...at least for a manual trans (or hopefully a duAl clutch automTed manual - which the aftermarket also needs to step up to the plate with)..

heres how i would do it:

the zf is an unbelievable heavy transmission. there is no reAson it needs to be as heavy as it is....

we already know the zf comes with a 40 lb 'useless-extra-mass' flywheel which is better suited as a boat anchor. so thats 28 lbs easy right there.

next. the zf is 'overbuilt'. which is good if you are making a 1200 rwhp blown turbo car - but we are not.

so some mass can be taken out and with better metallurgy (titanium and high strength steel), i still believe one could achieve similar levels of durAbility. so i think you could drop 25 lbs easily from the transmission.

next you need a front transfer case. make it out of magnesium. titanium parts inside, carbon fiber driveshafts all the way around and you got it.

i would love it if someone came up with a conversion like this so one could rub it in the faces of all the c6/7's that think they have such a superior car. the same people that insult, degrade, and prejudice c4 owners daily on places like CFOT.

this would be a way to say 'guess the c7 isnt so superior after all (ie. no Awd platform - and even if it did it would be pig heavy).

next, the aftermarket needs to come aboard with a dual clutch smg style automated manual gearbox with launch mode.

the combination of these 2, in a blown c4, would make it a better car than any ferrari or lambo.

just need the aftermarket to get its act together and stop dckin' around with failure prone chinese optispark replacement parts.

i also want to propose that whoever makes this needs to make a quality part.

not like that 'solid axle' abomination someone was selling on here, a few years ago, that hung a solid axle from the rear stabilizer bar using rubber mounts
Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

heres how i would do it:

Who is this "we" you are talking about? How many are in this "we" category and how much to execute your idea?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Get notified of new replies

To why dont Any aftermarket companies make a lightweight awd conversion for c4???

Old 03-29-2016, 12:53 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Probably would be easier to buy a WRX or GTR or any Audi.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Who is this "we" you are talking about?
Diz must be pregnant -
Old 03-29-2016, 01:51 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe C
Diz must be pregnant -

come on! who wouldnt be onboArd with this???

Quick Reply: why dont Any aftermarket companies make a lightweight awd conversion for c4???